Windows 10: File Explorer Launching at Random

Discus and support File Explorer Launching at Random in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the past few weeks, File Explorer in Windows 10 launches at random during the day. No keyboard action is involved...it just launches. Is there a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lkcape, Jan 8, 2016.

1. lkcape Win User

File Explorer Launching at Random

For the past few weeks, File Explorer in Windows 10 launches at random during the day. No keyboard action is involved...it just launches.

Is there a way to defeat this behavior or is this just a bug within Windows 10.

:)

lkcape, Jan 8, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 8, 2016
  3. RayBerch Win User
    File Explorer Launches

After loading Autoruns, it took a while, but after deleting some "file not found" entries, it is now booting up properly. Thanks to Ramesh for the assistance.

RayBerch, Jan 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to tenforums.
    It's not something I've seen or read of as yet, although Win 10 has brought its own set of peculiarities.

Does explorer always open in the same way? What path is shown in its address bar?

From what you say, this hadn't used to happen, but does now. So first try a clean boot and see if it still happens. I.e. is some program launching it. (Note, a clean boot will not stop everything that might do that as other services, drivers and scheduled tasks would still be active).
    How to perform a Clean boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

If it still happens, try Safe Mode, and confirm whether you see the same thing or not.

After that it may be a process of elimination.

Further, just to establish a sound basis, please do
    1. chkdsk C: /F from an elevated (admin) command prompt which you can open as follows:
    Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (admin).
    (Your PC will reboot to do this)
    2. sfc /scannow, again from an elevated (admin) command prompt

dalchina, Jan 8, 2016
  5. lkcape Win User
    The random launching instances slowed for the past week but resumed today.

The address bar shows "Quick Access" and displays the folders in the top level of my user profile.

I am am also finding that each time I sign out, I need to re-load the Windows Keyboard and Mouse file to get my MS 4000 keyboard to function properly. (I offer this in hopes that the MicroSoft people are reading in noting what the users are seeing.)

lkcape, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Launching at Random - Similar Threads - File Explorer Launching

2. File Explorer closing randomly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer closing randomly: Hi,Recently a lot of our users at work has started to experience several folders closing while either working in them or having them minimized in the background. This is regarding a specific Network Drive as far as i am aware of which is a shared drive where multiple users...
  3. File Explorer closing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer closing randomly: Hi,Recently a lot of our users at work has started to experience several folders closing while either working in them or having them minimized in the background. This is regarding a specific Network Drive as far as i am aware of which is a shared drive where multiple users...
  4. File Explorer Randomly Closes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Randomly Closes: I have users who are using the latest Windows 10 and 11 versions. They would have file explorer open then all of sudden it will randomly close on them. Their computer is update with all of the latest drivers.Troubleshooting I have done-I ran sfc /scannow and dism...
  5. File Explorer crashing on launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashing on launch: After updating to Windows 11 I have had a recurring issue over the past few months with File Explorer crashing when launching it.This only happens when I am not connected to my office network, so I believe it may have something to do with the network drives I have mapped for...
  6. File Explorer crashing on launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashing on launch: After updating to Windows 11 I have had a recurring issue over the past few months with File Explorer crashing when launching it.This only happens when I am not connected to my office network, so I believe it may have something to do with the network drives I have mapped for...
  7. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

in Cortana
    File Explorer Searching Randomly?: Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's always a recent search I've previously run. The only way I can prevent it from repeating this randomly is to clear previous...
  8. File Explorer Searching Randomly?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Searching Randomly?: Strange things going on in my file explorer. Out of the blue, one of my open windows will start running a search on its own. As far as I can tell, it's always a recent search I've previously run. The only way I can prevent it from repeating this randomly is to clear previous...
  9. File Explorer opens randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer opens randomly: Hi, I have a problem and is that yesterday my pc was lagging because I had a 3d rendering software eating all the RAM, so all the other tasks suffer lagging as a consequence, so I decided to close everything except task manager and the program. When it finished, I used the...
  10. Bing Launches from File Explorer / Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Bing Launches from File Explorer / Windows Explorer: When I search for something from File Explorer's address bar, Bing launches (from my default browser.) How do I turn this behavior off? I just want to search on my own computer. Windows Desktop version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 123890