Windows 10: File Explorer multiple windows opening

Discus and support File Explorer multiple windows opening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A new glitch has developed in my Win 10 file explorer. Whenever I attempt to select multiple files in a row, in order to move them, no matter how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by febsr, Jan 3, 2017.

1. febsr Win User

File Explorer multiple windows opening

A new glitch has developed in my Win 10 file explorer. Whenever I attempt to select multiple files in a row, in order to move them, no matter how careful I am multiple windows open for each file. As I have over 2000 files to move from one network computer to another this has been quite a problem. I check off the first file in the group then, holding down the shift key as usual, go to the last file (moving them in groups of 10 or 20) and select it. Immediately, 10 or 20 individual windows pop up, one for each file I checked off. Earlier today it worked just fine but after a few hours started this odd behavior. Also, open file in same window is checked off in folder options. Any ideas?

:)

febsr, Jan 3, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Can not open multiple File Explorer Tabs in Windows 10

I need to open multiple views of my file explorer as I need to transfer files to folders and I can not open multiple file explorer instances to do this easily. Sometimes it works and then it doesn't.

Normally I can just right click with my mouse and open multiple views of the file explorer but in the upgrade to windows 10 this is not working very well.

Can someone help please?

wendywoowooVX, Jan 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just a thought, are you sure your mouse/touchpad are functioning normally and extra clicks are not being generated somehow?

Would you be able to rearrange your files or use CTRL A to select them as a temporary measure?

Is there any difference if you only press the SHIFT key when your mouse pointer is over the last file in the list to be selected?

dalchina, Jan 3, 2017
  5. febsr Win User
    Those aren't the problems. Seems the longer I work in File Explorer, the more it happens. Starts out working just fine then goes downhill from there.

febsr, Jan 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Is it the same if you:
    a. Do a clean boot
    b. Run in Safe mode
    c. Create a new user for test purposes

dalchina, Jan 4, 2017
  7. May be this tool from Microsoft will straighten something out. It does not list your condition but a lot of other file explorer issues.
    I would create restore point before using. it is tilted
    Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...older-problems

Caledon Ken, Jan 4, 2017
  8. File Explorer multiple windows opening

Try using the shift key to the left of the keyboard, and the left click from mouse to select to check?

kamilanwar, Jan 5, 2017
  9. febsr Win User
    That is the normal procedure and how I am doing it. It is still happening sporatically so I shut down then attempt to start over. Works for about 10 minutes then recurs.

febsr, Jan 5, 2017
  10. What about using explore on you new computer and then use Homegroup or your own shares to move / copy, if you still have a significant number of files to go.

Caledon Ken, Jan 5, 2017
  11. febsr Win User
    Yes, I could do that but still wondering what is causing it. Thanks for everyone's input. Sometimes these thing have no apparent reason for happening and usually follow some kind of windows update. Frustrating but not impossible to work around.

febsr, Jan 5, 2017
  12. How about restoring file explorer to defaults?

kamilanwar, Jan 5, 2017
  13. febsr Win User

I did that first, then closed down, restarted and the same thing happened.

febsr, Jan 6, 2017
  14. Before the issue started, what exactly was changed or installed?

kamilanwar, Jan 6, 2017
  15. febsr Win User
    There were no changes or installations. I was trying to consolidate duplicate files from 3 laptops and was moving them in groups to see if there were duplicates. No problems for about an hour or so then the strange behavior began. Shut down, did a clean disk, shut down again then went back to work. Great for a little while, then it began again. I had two File Explorer windows open side by side and was cut and pasting files between them. Did all the above suggestions but it continually recurs. So...slow going now.

febsr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer multiple windows opening - Similar Threads - File Explorer multiple

2. Renaming multiple files on windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming multiple files on windows file explorer: I would like to know if there’s a way to rename multiple files at once. I’m aware that I can do that by selecting the files, right click, and select rename. However I don’t like how it renames the files. For example if I want to rename the pictures as “1” it will rename the...
  3. Renaming multiple files on windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming multiple files on windows file explorer: I would like to know if there’s a way to rename multiple files at once. I’m aware that I can do that by selecting the files, right click, and select rename. However I don’t like how it renames the files. For example if I want to rename the pictures as “1” it will rename the...
  4. Windows explorer opens multiple files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows explorer opens multiple files: Hi, May be a repeated question, but I was wondering, why windows explorer opens multiple files in a strange order? For example, if say, I have four files in a folder, named A, C, J, Z and to open them, I select them in this order..A, C, J, Z, then windows will open them in...
  5. File explorer not opening multiple files at once.

File explorer not opening multiple files at once.: For some reason, when I try to open 45 files at once, it does nothing. Somehow I was able to do this with over 100 files but I forgot how I managed to do that. They all have the same program and same file extension .mesh. It's supposed to open with a converter program....
  6. File Explorer Keeps Opening Files Multiple Times In Multiple Windows

File Explorer Keeps Opening Files Multiple Times In Multiple Windows: I have done the 'system file checker' scan and have the computer running in 'clean' mode and still Windows 10 seems to continue opening new manifestations of "File Explorer" without prompting. At the moment it is up to four, but it will continue to grow. Is there a fix in...
  7. Multiple File Explorer pages opening every morning.

Multiple File Explorer pages opening every morning.: I recently received an email from a user, saying that every morning when she turns on her pc there will be several tabs of file explorer open. I've never seen an issue like this before and would like to help her out....
  8. Opening multiple windows with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple windows with Windows Explorer: It seems kinda random to me but mostly when I open a second window it opens on top the the first window, but some times it opens next to the first window. Is there any way that could be made default? 82419
  9. Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows file explorer opening multiple windows, correctly set options: If I open file explorer and browse to c then go down 2 folders, another window will pop open and there will be 2 instances of it. If I go to my d drive, it automatically opens a separate window. I have already changed file and folder options to default and to open the same...
  10. Opening multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple files in file explorer: Windows 10. I no longer am able to open more than one jpg file in Photoshop Elements 14 (so maybe this is a PE problem as don't have a problem with Word or Excel files?) If I select more than one it will open every one except the first one selected (usually though seems a bit...