Windows 10: File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc.

Discus and support File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; (Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or has been answered before! I couldn't find anything on the same issue.) Hello! I recently got a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DuskSpark, Nov 22, 2015.

1. DuskSpark Win User

File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc.

(Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or has been answered before! I couldn't find anything on the same issue.)

Hello! I recently got a new gaming laptop and it's been working like a charm, especially since I upgraded it to 10. I am having a problem with my libraries however - this laptop essentially has 3 drives; the (C:\) SSD for OS and a few games, and two other normal drives (D:\ E:\) ... one for my games, the other for documents and such.

Due to this, whenever I am in the file explorer and need the quick access to get to say, music, it goes directly the the file on the C: drive rather than where my music folder is actually at, and I have no idea how to actually change it. My save location was changed to this drive, as well as manually going into the libraries folder in %appdata% and changing the settings to my E: drive, but this hasn't changed anything. This is both under quick access (which can be changed with the pins I believe), but also the drop-down for This PC. Right-clicking these folders for properties does show the folders under C:\User\[Name], but no way to change.

Thanks in advance if you can help! If you need more info if I wasn't very clear, please tell me and I'd be happy to add images or something.

:)

DuskSpark, Nov 22, 2015

2. WINDOWS 10 - PROGRAM DOWNLOAD NOT WHERE I EXPECTED

Have you installed the Program yet?

The Downloads folder is where most downloads are directed. It's located under your User name and is a User folder like Documents, Pictures, etc. You'll see a shortcut to it on the left hand toolbar in Explorer if it wasn't removed.

But once a program is downloaded, it needs to be installed by right clicking the Setup.exe or similar file to Run as Admin.

Let us know if this works.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 22, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 Directory Structure

Hi WTAAccount

Let us set up Windows file explorer the way is used to be in previous versions of Windows first . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

On the view Tab, click Options

In the resulting Dialog, set 'Open Explorer to' to This PC rather than Quick Access

At the bottom, uncheck both options in the Privacy section and click Clear

Close Windows File Explorer . .

Open File Explorer again

If you want to move your library folder (Documents, Pictures . . . etc.)

Right click your Documents Library folder in the right hand pane and choose 'Properties'

Click on the Location tab

In the location box, if you want to move that folder into the root of your C drive, type C:\Documents then click Apply and OK

Please remember to type the folder name, DO NOT just type C: as the files will end up all over your C Drive - a lot of users make this mistake

Then do the same for Pictures, Videos, Downloads . . . etc. each time changing the folder name, for example C:\Pictures . . . etc.

If you use this method of moving these folder, your system and all your software will be able to find them . . .

DaveM121, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Sheltieuk Win User

Hi, DuskSpark, have you tried right clicking your actual Music folder and selecting 'Include in Library' from the Menu and then selecting whichever Library you want it in, as shown in the Image?

File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc. [​IMG]

Sheltieuk, Nov 22, 2015
  5. DuskSpark Win User
    Ohh, I didn't know that was a thing, thank you! Sadly it just gives me the message "Is already included in the library" and then pops up libraries to the side, which isn't there before.

File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc. [​IMG]

Considering I access file explorer from the button on my taskbar, is there any way to change these shortcuts to be the correct folder for me? (Ignore space I've got left, just mass transferred everything from my desktop and need to clean up files :s)

DuskSpark, Nov 22, 2015
  6. Sheltieuk Win User
    I don't know of any to change the shortcuts though.
    Looks as though something has got messed up with your libraries, have you tried right clicking on 'Libraries' in File Explorer and selecting 'Restore default Libraries' then try adding the actual folder where your Music files are stored to the appropriate Library.
    I've got my Music, pictures etc located on my D drive and the method in my first reply worked fine for me.

Sheltieuk, Nov 22, 2015
  7. DuskSpark Win User
    Tried that, to no avail though :c

I have just gotten it to work however - something either happened or I was dumb and overlooked the location tab and how I can move to another location. Changing my wording a bit for google helped me too - I'll leave a link to the Microsoft article for others that had my problems with just being dumb. Thanks so much for your help though!

DuskSpark, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Sheltieuk Win User

No problem, I've been there a few times! glad you've got it sorted.*Wink

Sheltieuk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer not directing to right folder - Documents, Pictures etc. - Similar Threads - File Explorer directing

2. File Explorer - how to go to REAL parent folder : Documents, pictures, etc ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - how to go to REAL parent folder : Documents, pictures, etc ?: It seems like file explorer is moving towards the opposite whatit has alwas been : technical.Before, when in a folder located in C:>use>username>whatever , clicking the parent folder arrow would move back to the username folder. But instead now it is moving to desktop,...
  3. File Explorer - how to go to REAL parent folder : Documents, pictures, etc ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer - how to go to REAL parent folder : Documents, pictures, etc ?: It seems like file explorer is moving towards the opposite whatit has alwas been : technical.Before, when in a folder located in C:>use>username>whatever , clicking the parent folder arrow would move back to the username folder. But instead now it is moving to desktop,...
  4. FILE EXPLORER DOCUMENT AND PICTURES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILE EXPLORER DOCUMENT AND PICTURES: Hi everyone!I am new to Windows 11 and Microsoft Office 365 and I have a question:In my File Explorer is there a way that I can have ONLY icons showing in my Documents file, and ONLY photos showing in my Pictures file?Mark...
  5. FILE EXPLORER DOCUMENT AND PICTURES

FILE EXPLORER DOCUMENT AND PICTURES: Hi everyone!I am new to Windows 11 and Microsoft Office 365 and I have a question:In my File Explorer is there a way that I can have ONLY icons showing in my Documents file, and ONLY photos showing in my Pictures file?Mark...
  6. How to restore personal folders Downloads, Pictures, Documents etc...

How to restore personal folders Downloads, Pictures, Documents etc...: Hello, I wanna know how to restore deleted personal folders from shell:UsersFilesFolder & User Folder!I have heard that need recreate the folders or it will be generated again if login again, is it possible?I have Windows 11 since August 16th and I really like it, but I don't...
  7. Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?: Hello! I started making games in Unity and I want to create a system folder called "Games". I created one in my "C:/Users/(myname)/" folder, and found out how to change the icon (here's a pic). Kind of obsessive, I know, but is there any way to make it have a folder as part...
  8. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  9. Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.: I've been trying to move the location of these kinds of folders, but simply can't, windows tells me that there's a folder that can't be moved. I looked all over the internet for solutions, and everywhere they say to change de registry, which I did, but it didn't work. My C:/...
  10. Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders: Hello! I just reassigned my default Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc. folders to folders on my secondary drive to save space on my performance drive. All the little emblems updated for each folder, except for the Pictures and Documents folders, and my OCD isn't liking it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook not directing to right header