Windows 10: File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

Discus and support File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018.

1. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround:

Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window that says "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable." I click OK, and then I am able to preview the .docx file in File Explorer.

I used to be able to just click on a file, no matter the extension and it would be previewed in the Preview pane. What could have changed? I am using Win 10 version 1803.

Pam *Confused

:)

OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018
  2. pjaj43 Win User

File explorer preview will not display .xlsx files

I can see previews of docx Office 2007 files and also pdf, jpeg, png, html, various text files txt, css, font files ttf and so on, but not Excel.

Any idea why this particular file format is not displayed?

Reading other posts, people are having similar problems. They can see xlsx, but not docx for example.

This all started about 2 or so weeks ago after two sets of particularly large updates in one week.

pjaj43, Jul 30, 2018
  3. .docx previews as .xml file or don't preview at all in file explorer, but .doc previews correctly. How do I preview .docx files?

I am unable to preview .docx in file explorer. I have repaired several times, followed various suggestions in this forum and in internet search, all to no avail. One fix allowed it to preview as an .xml file, rather than saying "unable to preview file".
    I am able to preview previous version .doc files correctly. What do I need to do to correct this issue????

Lisa Akita Cannon, Jul 30, 2018
  4. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

pdf preview in Windows 10 file explorer

I have been using "preview pane" in file explorer forever. However, for some unknown reason, the preview pane for pdf files have become very small, to the point where the pdf file preview pane is too small and unreadable. preview pane for all other files
    appears to be ok (large enough as before). this is only affecting pdf files.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe reader.

I am looking for suggestions to get back to where the preview pane of pdf files is as large as before

StephenKlotz, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

1. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf - Similar Threads - File Explorer previewing

2. Help with Pdf's not previewing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with Pdf's not previewing in file explorer: Hi Guys, I am hoping someone can help me with this current issue I am having. I don't know if it is an Abode or Microsoft issue but it is really frustrating. I run a business that is 100% paperless and involves a lot of data entry. All scanned documents are renamed and then...
  3. File Explorer freeze with PDF preview

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freeze with PDF preview: When selecting a PDF file in the File Explorer with the option of the preview. the File Explorer froze because too many instances of Microsoft Edge WebView2 are created.The only way to release the File Explorer is by closing all instances of File Explorer or through Task...
  4. File Explorer freeze with PDF preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freeze with PDF preview: When selecting a PDF file in the File Explorer with the option of the preview. the File Explorer froze because too many instances of Microsoft Edge WebView2 are created.The only way to release the File Explorer is by closing all instances of File Explorer or through Task...
  5. File Explorer freeze with PDF preview

6. PDF file previewer for Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF file previewer for Windows Explorer: I am using an older version of Adobe Acrobat to edit PDF files but it does not have a preview feature setting. The problem is Adobe will not allow me to install just a later Acrobat reader to preview the files in Windows Explorer.Isn't it about time Microsoft had an embedded...
  7. PDF file previewer for Windows Explorer

PDF file previewer for Windows Explorer: I am using an older version of Adobe Acrobat to edit PDF files but it does not have a preview feature setting. The problem is Adobe will not allow me to install just a later Acrobat reader to preview the files in Windows Explorer.Isn't it about time Microsoft had an embedded...
  8. PDF file previewer for Windows Explorer

9. Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files

Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files: I'm running Office 360 on Windows 10 with all current updates. File Explorer will preview most files, but will not preview Word files, .docx. I have searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing. Please help!...
  10. PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane

PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane: After an automatic Windows 10 update on Nov-14-2018 under KB4465663 and KB4467702, WIndows 10 MS-File Explorer is very sluggish and unable to show and .pdf previews, in the preview pane. Any solutions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xlsx files wont open in Windows Explorer Preview Pane

2. file explorer view preview not working windows 10 docx

3. File preview not available for .txt files in SharePoint

4. no preview in windows explorer for .docx or .xlsx,
  5. win10 file explorer docx preview not showing,
  6. windows explorer preview not available txt file,
  7. cant preview xlsx files in windows file explorer,
  8. windows explorer this file cant be previewed docx,
  9. no .xlsx preview