File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

Discus and support File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018.

1. OnTheRoad41 Win User

Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround:

Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window that says "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable." I click OK, and then I am able to preview the .docx file in File Explorer.

I used to be able to just click on a file, no matter the extension and it would be previewed in the Preview pane. What could have changed? I am using Win 10 version 1803.

Pam *Confused

:)

OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018
  2. pjaj43 Win User

File explorer preview will not display .xlsx files

I can see previews of docx Office 2007 files and also pdf, jpeg, png, html, various text files txt, css, font files ttf and so on, but not Excel.

Any idea why this particular file format is not displayed?

Reading other posts, people are having similar problems. They can see xlsx, but not docx for example.

This all started about 2 or so weeks ago after two sets of particularly large updates in one week.

pjaj43, Jul 30, 2018
  3. Lisa Akita Cannon Win User
    .docx previews as .xml file or don't preview at all in file explorer, but .doc previews correctly. How do I preview .docx files?

I am unable to preview .docx in file explorer. I have repaired several times, followed various suggestions in this forum and in internet search, all to no avail. One fix allowed it to preview as an .xml file, rather than saying "unable to preview file".
    I am able to preview previous version .doc files correctly. What do I need to do to correct this issue????

Lisa Akita Cannon, Jul 30, 2018
  4. StephenKlotz Win User

pdf preview in Windows 10 file explorer

I have been using "preview pane" in file explorer forever. However, for some unknown reason, the preview pane for pdf files have become very small, to the point where the pdf file preview pane is too small and unreadable. preview pane for all other files
    appears to be ok (large enough as before). this is only affecting pdf files.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe reader.

I am looking for suggestions to get back to where the preview pane of pdf files is as large as before

StephenKlotz, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf - Similar Threads - File Explorer previewing

2. Announcing Windows Server 2019 Insider Preview Build 17733 - August 14

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows Server 2019 Insider Preview Build 17733 - August 14: Release notes not available yet. Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...rpreviewserver 115974
  3. Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 17733 now available - August 14

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 17733 now available - August 14: Release notes not available yet. Download: Download Windows Insider Preview SDK 115973
  4. How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10: [ATTACH] In this post, we will see what is the bootres.dll file in the Windows 10 OS and where is it located. We will also see how to fix or replace a corrupted bootres.dll file that may prevent you from booting [...] This post How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in...
  5. Windows 10 ISO - Media Creation Tool 1803 running super slow and doesn't ever show a file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 ISO - Media Creation Tool 1803 running super slow and doesn't ever show a file...: I have been trying to get an Windows 10 1803 ISO for my office for a VM Hypervisor. The Media Creation Tool 1803 is running really slow and when I lock my computer down for my work day so it can keep downloading, when I come back, the program is closed and the file is not...
  6. New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 17738 - August 14

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 17738 - August 14: Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17738 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC We fixed an issue where on Windows 10 in S Mode, launching Office in the Store might fail to...
  7. How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do you exclude files from a system image backup?: Does anyone know if this works in Windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...80819(v=ws.10) or if there is a different way to exclude folders from a system image created with the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature? 115940
  8. If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...: The edition I'm using is Windows 10 Pro, and under the Activation, it says: Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. I would like to choose Reset my PC from the Recovery option, keep my files and reinstall Windows, but will I have to enter the...
  9. How to recover a replaced notepad file? (Important file:( )

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recover a replaced notepad file? (Important file:( ): TL;DR I opened a notepad that I have, clicked save as and then saved it with the same name in the same directory(i.e replaced it). Can I recover the previous version of the note pad? full story: I reset my windows. after that, I get a problem where my notepad files that...
  10. problem with media files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem with media files: I have a problem that I can't figure out what is it , But probably it's related to media files . the problem is when I try to open a video on any website using Microsoft edge I get errors , when I try to play a song using "sondcloud (beta)" Windows app once I click the song...