Windows 10: File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

Discus and support File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018.

1. OnTheRoad41 Win User

File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround:

Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window that says "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable." I click OK, and then I am able to preview the .docx file in File Explorer.

I used to be able to just click on a file, no matter the extension and it would be previewed in the Preview pane. What could have changed? I am using Win 10 version 1803.

Pam *Confused

:)

OnTheRoad41, Jul 30, 2018
  2. pjaj43 Win User

File explorer preview will not display .xlsx files

I can see previews of docx Office 2007 files and also pdf, jpeg, png, html, various text files txt, css, font files ttf and so on, but not Excel.

Any idea why this particular file format is not displayed?

Reading other posts, people are having similar problems. They can see xlsx, but not docx for example.

This all started about 2 or so weeks ago after two sets of particularly large updates in one week.

pjaj43, Jul 30, 2018
  3. Lisa Akita Cannon Win User
    .docx previews as .xml file or don't preview at all in file explorer, but .doc previews correctly. How do I preview .docx files?

I am unable to preview .docx in file explorer. I have repaired several times, followed various suggestions in this forum and in internet search, all to no avail. One fix allowed it to preview as an .xml file, rather than saying "unable to preview file".
    I am able to preview previous version .doc files correctly. What do I need to do to correct this issue????

Lisa Akita Cannon, Jul 30, 2018
  4. StephenKlotz Win User

pdf preview in Windows 10 file explorer

I have been using "preview pane" in file explorer forever. However, for some unknown reason, the preview pane for pdf files have become very small, to the point where the pdf file preview pane is too small and unreadable. preview pane for all other files
    appears to be ok (large enough as before). this is only affecting pdf files.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe reader.

I am looking for suggestions to get back to where the preview pane of pdf files is as large as before

StephenKlotz, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf - Similar Threads - File Explorer previewing

2. Blank files preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank files preview: Hello, I have been encountering a recurring problem . Whenever i open a folder it show like this (blank preview files) I tried all this methods but nothing seems to work : deactivating the "Always show icon, never thumbnails" option. cleaning thumbnails cache. scan my...
  3. Can't preview pdf in Windows 10 Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't preview pdf in Windows 10 Explorer: I cannot view pdf files from Preview Pane in Windows 10 Explorer. When I click on a pdf file, the Preview Pane has a message that says "this file can't be previewed." I have Adobe 9. The Edit, Preferences, General screen does not have an option to enable thumbnail...
  4. Windows 10 -- Preview pane not opening when trying to preview PDF files

Windows 10 -- Preview pane not opening when trying to preview PDF files: Hi, The preview pane is working for all other programs except Adobe Acrobat Pro. When I click on a file, I receive the following error message: "An internal error occurred." Any suggestions?...
  5. .PSD preview icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .PSD preview icons in File Explorer: I hope this is the right category to put this. So, anyway, when I have JPG, PNG, GIF images, i can see the preview image without having to actually open the file in a program. Well, with .PSD (photoshop), all i get is an icon with .PSD on it. Is there a way to tweak...
  6. Windows Explorer Preview Pane on External Monitor for PDF preview

Windows Explorer Preview Pane on External Monitor for PDF preview: Hi I have a Surface book that has stopped displaying the PDF preview in explorer on my external monitor since the last Windows Update (Build 17134.112) in May 2018. This is really bothering me as I use it all the time and I even run workshops demonstrating the preview...
  7. No Word document preview in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Word document preview in file explorer: ​Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a Sony Vaio all in one PC with Office 2010. The mystery is that I also have a Vaio laptop running the identical operating...
  8. file explorer windows 10 pdf preview pane

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer windows 10 pdf preview pane: can anyone help me in windows 7, I was able to to go into file explorer and would be able to see the document in the preview pane using PDF viewer Plus. Now I am unable to see anything. I cant seem to see any way to configure the file explorer to see any pdf files. Word files...
  9. adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane

in Windows 10 Support
    adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane: Hello, I was wondering about the possibility to increase the images thumbnail size on the details pane in file explorer, and to make the panel maller than allowed by default. Is it possible? Thank you for your help [img] 56199
  10. How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer: How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere? 15850