Windows 10: File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

Discus and support File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 Home. This problem only happens if I'm performing a search. If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Javaman, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Javaman Win User

File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

Using Windows 10 Home.
    This problem only happens if I'm performing a search.
    If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list of files does not refresh.
    The file remains listed even though it's been deleted.
    If I manually refresh then the file disappears from the list. Same thing happens if I undo the delete.
    I need to hit F5 to make the file reappear in the search list.

Anyone else having this problem or know a fix? Thanks.

-----

Seems to be a Windows 10 prob. I went back to 8.1 and everything was fine.

:)

Javaman, Aug 12, 2015

2. File refreshing after deleting picture

Hi Shawn,

To assist you better answer the following questions

1.What is the File format of the image?

2.Is the issue confined to Windows Photo Viewer or to any specific file?

3.Have you installed all pending updates?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to check if there are any pending Windows updates and install them

• Open Settings
      app.

• Click Update & security.

• Under Windows updates, click
      Check for Updates

• Follow the onscreen instructions.
    Hope the above information was helpful, If you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Aug 12, 2015
  3. File refreshing after deleting picture

I am a photographer and have approximately 500 pictures in a file folder. I use Windows Photo Viewer to view the files, hitting the right arrow key as I scroll the pictures, deleting the ones I don't want. When I hit delete, and try to move onto the
    next picture, I get a message that pop ups saying "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer". I exit the photo viewer and go into the folder,
    and see a green scroll bar going across the top of the file, taking as long as 10 minutes to reach the end. Once it does, I click on the picture again, and I see the next picture. It does this everytime I delete a picture. It never used to do this until
    I upgraded to windows 10. Anyone know of any fix for this? Please help. This is costing me a lot of down time with my editing.

ShawnWeaver, Aug 12, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

I've noticed this too... only in search results. Whilst simply opening a folder and deleting sthg is fine.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but this is exactly the issue i've had with Windows 10 since launch day. Cross-posting from a thread I made 6 months ago on Reddit:

Virtually the only flaw in Windows 10 that's keeping me from upgrading the rest of my computers from 7 is an odd bug: Search results in Windows Explorer don't update after moving a file or files from those results. A ghost of the file will just hang out there for 5-10 seconds before finally updating, and while pressing F5 will expedite the process, it's jarring compared to the instant result when the same operation is done in 7. The results themselves populate instantly, and rebuilding the index does not resolve the issue, nor does the file's location matter (C:\Test as opposed to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Test).

This has occurred on every Windows 10 instance i've set up since the initial release, I first noticed it on a preview build, but I wouldn't be able to find out what build it was. I'm running the latest build of Windows 10 primarily on my laptop, where I don't do a lot of file operations, but my desktop is where I do most of my work, so until I can find a solution to this puzzle, it's still running 7. I have Windows 10 set up on a separate partition (all on SSDs), and the behavior is exactly how my laptop encounters it. I'm 100% positive that performance is not a factor, as the only time this issue occurs is when files returned in search results are moved, the rest of the UX is smooth and works just as it should.

I've recorded three videos to demonstrate this issue, my laptop with Win10, and my desktop on 7, both performing the same operation on the file. Here's the bug on a freshly partitioned and indexed Windows 10 install on my desktop. Once again, this has occurred on every device i've tested, without exception.

I've done extensive googling and can't find any mention of this behavior specifically in Win10, even after using advanced Google syntax due to the word "search" bringing up unrelated results. I had hoped that it would be silently ironed out in an update, but 6 months a year down the road, I still have one less reason to deploy Win10 on the rest of my computers.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior, similar to the videos I linked, it would be somewhat comforting to know i'm not the only one seeing this issue.

breakingspell, Jul 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi you can simply hit F5 after deleting the file to refresh the explorer search results list.

Bu that, of course, is simply a workaround, not a solution.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Yeah, F5 is just a band-aid for now.

Speak of the devil though, today's anniversary update did make it more responsive, it updates within 3 seconds now. Here's a video of a clean install of the anniversary update, it's a start

breakingspell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search - Similar Threads - File explorer refreshing

2. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  3. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  4. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Refresh Problem

File Explorer Refresh Problem: On the Public Version I have my background changing every minute and it is causing File Explorer to refresh when it changes to the next image. So if I'm looking down a long list trying to find a specific file I lose my place every time the Background image changes as File...
  6. Files not refreshing after deleting them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Files not refreshing after deleting them.: For some reason,File Explorer doens't refresh after I delete a file. How can I fix this? Thank you 169617
  7. icon refreshing in file explorer

icon refreshing in file explorer: When my Windows 10 file explorer opens a folder containing a .JPG file, it triggers a non-stop frenzy of repeatedly refreshing every icon in sight including the desktop and probably others as well. I have tried many suggestions for fixing things relating to Explorer but none...
  8. Explorer search results - Does not update (refresh) when delete a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer search results - Does not update (refresh) when delete a file: I saw some older posts related to this from 2016 but nothing with a solution. The problem is: I search in explorer for files (ie "*.jpg") it will give me a list of results. I delete a file from the list of results (either hitting delete key or right click and delete) and...
  9. Refresh problem in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh problem in File Explorer: In an earlier thread, I reported that following an update file explorer no longer automatically refreshes after a deletion or change. I tried all the suggestions, but the problem persists. So I swapped a recently made clone of the hard drive and booted that. The same problem...
  10. File Explorer stopped refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer stopped refreshing: Until yesterday, when I deleted a file shown in File Explorer, it immediately vanished. But now, deleted files won’t go away until I right-click on a blank space and click Refresh. Same with renamed files. I did a SFC /scannow, which found some problems and corrected them,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer not refreshing deleted files

2. when delete file explorer is not refreshing file list

3. windows explorer not refreshing after delete