Windows 10: File Explorer not showing all files / Strange restore point

Discus and support File Explorer not showing all files / Strange restore point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have noticed a few odd things on my newly built computers: 1. When looking at the desktop through File Explorer, a number of shortcuts are not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Submarine, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Submarine Win User

File Explorer not showing all files / Strange restore point

I have noticed a few odd things on my newly built computers:
    1. When looking at the desktop through File Explorer, a number of shortcuts are not there. I can see them on the desktop, but not through the file explorer. Checking the security properties for these shortcuts, they have a user "Account unknown" , S-and a long number series of figures. This account has "special permissions". Visible shortcuts and files lack this strange account. What is this account and where does it come from? Is it possible to see also these files in File Explorer by some tweak? Why are they hidden there in the first place?
    2. Right clicking the C drive on one of the computers, I find a previous version in the properties. OK. Apparently a system restore point was created last night, which is explained as "Installed Matrix". I did not install anything, and I have no clue what Matrix is. Anybody knows? Backing to this restore point apparently affects no program and there is no such program on the computer, I can find.

:)

Submarine, Dec 17, 2015

2. Lost the entire directory

It basically explains itself if you test ride the 3 apps, which apparently you haven't yet done. By comparing ShadowCopyView and SystemRestoreExplorer you get to see the connection between Restore Points and Shadow Copies. Shadow Copies are the result
    of creating Restore Points and are snapshots (backups) of your drive at the time of the restore point. ShadowCopyView shows all shadow copies all at once and lets you explore each of them. SystemRestoreExplorer shows the restore points and allows you to mount
    them and open with File Explorer and you find that they actually do the same thing but using different methods. Apparently ShadowCopyView also allows to open a shadow copy with File Explorer but that currently fails.

BeefRWijker, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Window 10 File Explorer results not correct

Current situation: File Explorer shows an empty folder. File Explorer Search shows five mp4 files in that folder. I cannot delete or move the files or the folder and I cannot open any of the files. I have rebooted and
    tried any other solutions that I could think of without result. Incidentally, I uninstalled Cortana very soon after I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 last year and have used File Explorer successfully on a daily basis since then.

Recent events:

1. I detected this problem yesterday but I did not have enough time to deal with it then.

2. I tried to resolve it today by using system restore to return to a restore point prior to the problem occurring.

3. In the meantime Win 10 update had installed a critical update.

4. I started system restore with the intention of returning to one of the
    restore points which I have created at least weekly or to a point that had been created automatically.

5. Restore would only allow me to undo the critical update, it did not show any of the other restore points.

6. I am familiar with how to show all the available restore points.

7. After rolling back the critical update I still cannot see any of the previous restore points.

Please help: I do not know if the File Explorer search issue could be resolved by using the restore point feature but I do need to resolve both issues. After much fruitless searching on the Internet I would be very grateful
    for any assistance.

BrianGledhill, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

File Explorer not showing all files / Strange restore point

1. File Explorer not showing all files / Strange restore point - Similar Threads - File Explorer showing

2. File explorer showing strange "drawer" icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer showing strange "drawer" icon: I have 3-4 files uploaded to a cloud, but i cant seem to get to open or move/copy those files.All the files have this little weird icon, what does the icon mean?As seen in the attached picture, two out of the three files show this icon.Any help is greatly appreciated!...
  3. File explorer showing strange "drawer" icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer showing strange "drawer" icon: I have 3-4 files uploaded to a cloud, but i cant seem to get to open or move/copy those files.All the files have this little weird icon, what does the icon mean?As seen in the attached picture, two out of the three files show this icon.Any help is greatly appreciated!...
  4. Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore point - Are downloaded files saved?: Downloaded files count as personal files right? Like documents, pictures, etc. and won't be removed? I don't mean games that are put into directories, just downloaded files in general. Will they be kept?...
  5. Lost restore point for backuped files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost restore point for backuped files: I have a lot of files that were backed up with microsofts own backup and restore function.Now when I reinstalled win10 the system can't find any restore points for theese files.Windows added a string to the filenames whenever it was starting a new backup session.The string...
  6. How to show all files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to show all files in File Explorer: I reset Windows and now my SVG files are missing in File Explorer. How do I fix this without trawling through loads of out of date help on the Internet? 174408
  7. What are all these strange files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are all these strange files?: [ATTACH] Im struggling to find the source of what caused all of these to show up in my C drive and what there purpose is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
  8. Desktop in Explorer not showing all files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop in Explorer not showing all files: For some reason when I access 'Desktop' by using the explorer it's not showing all the files on my desktop, as an example the recycling bin and a shortcut for Adobe Creative Cloud is not showing however it's showing a shortcut for other stuff. When I use "shell:desktop" it...
  9. Previous versions of files in restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Previous versions of files in restore point: Searched, didn't see this one. One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu...
  10. Strange file explorer behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange file explorer behaviour: This is quite odd, but doesn't happen very often, only once or twice a week maybe. I'll have file explorer open, and be using something else, for example chrome, maximised. All of a sudden for no apparent reason the file explorer window appears in foreground! Any ideas what...