Windows 10: File Explorer opens but does not function

Discus and support File Explorer opens but does not function in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have all the current Windows 10 Home 64-bit updates. File Explorer opens with its main screen but no files are listed in the main file listing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndrewMcLean2, Jul 10, 2018.

1. File Explorer opens but does not function

I have all the current Windows 10 Home 64-bit updates. File Explorer opens with its main screen but no files are listed in the main file listing window. Instead the message 'working on it' appears t the top of the Window and the spinning blue disc spins away. None of the third party File managers are affected. File Explorer has become a waste of disc space. Any ideas?

:)

AndrewMcLean2, Jul 10, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 10, 2018
  3. File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Sher Amo Win User

File Explorer opens but does not function

File explorer will not open on windows 10

As a workaround, we suggest that you follow these steps to access windows explorer using the
    Run dialog box. By doing this, we may identify if you can navigate Windows through this method. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
    • Type explorer and press Enter.

In case your system will allow you to navigate through this process, we recommend that you continue performing the in-place upgrade procedure.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Sher Amo, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer opens but does not function

1. File Explorer opens but does not function - Similar Threads - File Explorer opens

2. File Explorer function change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer function change: I frequently copy items from one folder by dragging into the folder address window. If I want to move something to the previous level of folder, I don't have to open another folder but just drag and drop from the folder I'm currently in. This action now gives me a "stop sign"...
  3. File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window: When in File Explorer, there are certain strings that can be typed into the address bar that will allow you to navigate to said item. For example, typing in "downloads" and pressing enter causes File Explorer to navigate to the Downloads folder. Typing in "documents" and...
  4. File Explorer does not open when uploading files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer does not open when uploading files: Has anyone experienced an issue where you can't upload files in any apps or even on the internet used different browsers?When I click on browse it does nothing, it does not connect to the file explorer. I'm thinking it's a privacy setting but I already made sure that I...
  5. File Explorer does not open when uploading files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer does not open when uploading files: Has anyone experienced an issue where you can't upload files in any apps or even on the internet used different browsers?When I click on browse it does nothing, it does not connect to the file explorer. I'm thinking it's a privacy setting but I already made sure that I...
  6. File Explorer does not open when uploading files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work

in Cortana
    Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work: I get zero results from any search done directly in the search box in Windows file explorer. If instead I use the search box on the task bar to search for documents, that action copies the search into the search box in file explorer. The search then begins, but because it is...
  8. File explorer function not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer function not working: Customer called today about not being able to save attachments from Outlook 2016. Pop up on save saying cannot save. So updated OS to latest build 20h2, updated office 365 and checked updated drivers etc. Still issue. Tried saveas function in word and excel, browse does not...
  9. file explorer does not function correctly

file explorer does not function correctly: the file explorer folders on my windows 10 have stopped opening when I click on the folders icon. No matter what folder I select from the folders in the folders icon, the computer just accumulates small windows along the top edge of the task bar. But none open up on the...
  10. Open File Location Does Not Display in File Explorer

Open File Location Does Not Display in File Explorer: I am using Windows 10 and OneDrive to store files offline because I have a tiny SSD hard drive. When I do a search for a file and right-mouse click to open the file location, because there are other files in that location that I am actually looking for, there is no option...