Windows 10: File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding

Discus and support File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Explorer now has grown from 1 Document Folder to 7-8 They are not all exact duplicates. Some Folders/Files are same some are not. Pictures went from 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NOPD, Dec 12, 2016.

1. NOPD Win User

File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding

Explorer now has grown from 1 Document Folder to 7-8 They are not all exact duplicates. Some Folders/Files are same some are not. Pictures went from 1 Folder to 5-6 Most not all exact duplicates but close. Not sure what I could be doing.

:)

2. File explorer

I am unable to create new folders in file explorer and unable to rename any folders. That's all locations. If I go to close out the file explorer I just get the spinning circle and then if I click on close again it tells me file explorer is not responding.

StephanieH416, Dec 12, 2016
  3. File Explorer This PC view (Adding folders or shortcuts too)

Thank You for your assistance. But the problem with PC mysteriously vanished and it is now working. First regarding the read me file. The zip copy I downloaded did not have a read me file.

I can't be sure why it is now working. There seems to be two possible explanations.

1. Last night Microsoft sent an automatic update. It finished installing them immediately before the program began to work. Coincidence?

2. After the update I was looking at the executable file properties. Examining the properties of the desktop icon I opened the compatibility tab. Previously I had unsuccessfully run the compatibility troubleshooter from the control panel. It reported
    that the program was incompatible and could not correct it. I noticed that that in the compatibility tab of the properties box I was able to select a previous version of windows and manually assign it to run windows 8. Success at last. This seems to suggest
    that the Compatibility Troubleshooter was the real problem in that It could not determine which version of windows to be compatible with. ???

This whole situation seems bizarre. I can't say for certainty which of the two issues solved the problem.

Regarding the issue of the .dll file. I too thought the installer should have placed it into the folders. After searching the windows and system folders I determined it was not installed. Thus I installed it manually temporarily. Now the program runs and
    the .dll is still not present in the windows, system & system 32 folders.

Problem solved. Many thanks for directing me to PC tweaker and many thanks for going above and beyond in assisting. Cliff

CliffordSanford, Dec 12, 2016
  4. File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding

If you try searching duplicate folders under this PC you will get a lots of hits. Some seem to be pointing to syncing with cloud services, like Onedrive. Another centered around restoring document locations.

Would you mind adding a little detail. Did you move your data to a separate partition or maybe your laptop came configured this way. Are you using any cloud services for syncing and or for back up? Do you know which version of 10 you are using 1511, 1607 ?

Link from this forum Duplicate Documents folder Under This Pc

Link from MS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a403ed6?page=1

Another suggestion, which seems to regular for a number of Windows 10 issues, create a new account, copy the correct libraries and see if behavior follows. Before doing have a read of this thread. It seems old but has entries in 2016.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/5966-duplicate-subfolders-user-folder.html

Caledon Ken, Dec 14, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding

1. File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding - Similar Threads - File Explorer creating

2. Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort by date added to folder in Windows file explorer: I want to sort files by date added to folder to easily find a file that I have recently downloaded.NO! Date modified and date created does not solve this. The date created and modified could be 1 jan 2000, but I added it to my folder 7 april 2024. The problem is that this...
  3. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  4. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  5. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. File Explorer can't create new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer can't create new folder: I have a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 2004, during my install/update/clean process it got updated to 20H2. I partitoned the disk and created a Users folder on drive D. At some point since File Explorer stopped creating new folders, right clicking doesn't show...
  7. Adding created library to the system folders view in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding created library to the system folders view in Explorer: I am using google backup and sync and it created a Drive folder. I put it in a new library and now I want this library to be displayed along with my Docs, Music, Videos (see screen). Is this possible? Or: can this library appear in the side naviation panel with Dropbox and...
  8. File Explorer - Creating new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Creating new folders: Windows 1909 and before. Issue: When I try to create a new folder in File Explorer I can only type one letter then File Explorer acts like I pressed enter. For example if I Create a try to creater called " File Explorer will only let me create a folder called "j" The work...
  9. Adding file and folder icons to Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding file and folder icons to Windows Explorer: Hi folks, I'd love to add more customized icons to those associated by Windows File Explorer / Windows Explorer, so that I can have them express what I want and need. But they all seem to be contained within the Shell.dll file, which I don't think makes it a drag-and-drop...
  10. Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create New Folder in File Explorer: It works fine, but suddenly today the New menu disappeared from my click menu when I click on any blank place in a folder. What's worse, if I click the New Folder button under the File Explorer top menu, there is no response. In the end, I can only create new folders using...