Windows 10: File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update

Discus and support File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You know those little icons beside a file name to denote what app is used to open them ? Well the one for the app Photos (the inbuilt Win 10 app) is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlizzardUK, Apr 22, 2017.

1. File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update

You know those little icons beside a file name to denote what app is used to open them ? Well the one for the app Photos (the inbuilt Win 10 app) is not showing anymore since I just updated to Creators Edition, everything else works fine. I am using Windows 10 Home.

Here is an example of what I mean (VLC icon is fine).............

File Explorer "Photos"  icon now missing since Creators Edition update [​IMG]

As you can see there is nothing to the left of anything that uses Photos App to open. I have tried changing between default apps to reset it, but that doesn't work, and neither does a icon rebuild. I am fairly sure it used to be a blue square icon with like a white coloured house.

If I single click an image then I get the below..........

So there is a hint of an icon when single click highlighted. Everything loads of okay so it is purely cosmetic, it just looks wrong. Any way of fixing without going back again ? Any idea what happened ?

Thanks all. Hope I made sense.

:)

BlizzardUK, Apr 22, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Apr 22, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it File Explorer "Photos"  icon now missing since Creators Edition update :(

oh gawd wat to do ? File Explorer "Photos"  icon now missing since Creators Edition update :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram File Explorer "Photos"  icon now missing since Creators Edition update :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx File Explorer "Photos"  icon now missing since Creators Edition update :)

musum, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Phone Man Win User

File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update

Same on my system. Also the Check Box does not show until I roll over a file.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    Change the View to Medium Icons, or so.
    Also, show thumbnails instead of icons.

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  6. I appreciate the suggestion, but sadly that doesn't fix the problem when viewing in details or list mode. I prefer using details/list modes as I mix images with other files in the same folder sometimes, and the long lists look better that way. Image only folders look great in thumbnail mode, but for mixed file folders it is not good. I realise this is not a major issue and is purely cosmetic, but something went wrong, so be good to fix if possible *Smile

BlizzardUK, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    You could restore the classic Windows Photo Viewer app

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  8. File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update

Thanks, I did that once when I first got Windows 10 but things got messed up. So when I reinstalled Windows 10 at the end of last year I just kept the inbuilt one. I actually quite like the new one now.

No idea of what could of happened ? Is there a folder for the file explorer icons I could try and check ?

BlizzardUK, Apr 22, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    It's just the style of the icons now.
    If you type shell:appsfolder into a Run box and press Enter, you'll see all the UWP Apps are like that.

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  10. Thanks, I just noticed ALL the Windows Store icons are missing in Explorer. I just changed MP3's to open with the Windows 10 VLC store app (instead of the desktop app), and that is invisible too.

BlizzardUK, Apr 22, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    They're not missing, they just happen to be the same color as Explorer's default background!
    (I don't have a clue why they did that, but.........)

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  12. bibe Win User
    It is strange, but I've just installed a new Windows 10 1703 on a virtual machine and the jpeg icons are just fine...
    I've checked the registry for HKCR\jpegfile and it is the same on both Windows, so it really must be a color issue...

If I select a High Contrast theme, the icons are visible...

13. bibe Win User

I think I've found the solution: you have to reset the Default App settings to Microsoft defaults.

14. Robbie Win User
    Same problem here, but what I don't like as well is that JPEG are now called photos.

Robbie, Apr 22, 2017
  15. Phone Man Win User
    Worked for me although it was already set to Photos.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer "Photos" icon now missing since Creators Edition update - Similar Threads - File Explorer Photos

2. Missing photo icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing photo icons: Desktop icons no longer have pictures, just generic symbols. How can they be restored? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-photo-icons/52f18034-b83b-4b90-9901-1b05afcaa89e
  3. Missing file type icons in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing file type icons in Explorer: Hi all, I'm using Windows 10 ver. 1703. Since the last major update, the file explorer shows a blank icon for many file types instead of the associated application (such as Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word etc.). The files are still associated correctly and re-associating them...
  4. Icons does not align right in desktop since Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons does not align right in desktop since Creators Update: Creators Update bringed us a lot of bugs in Windows 10. One of them is a problem with the icons on desktop. Everytime I reboot I see this: [img] I have marked "Align icons to grid option": [img] To fix the problem I have to check "Auto arrange icons" option...
  5. Updating To Creator Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating To Creator Edition: I just built a new Ryzen system and installed a full version win10 x64. Last night I did a check for updates and it gave me the win10 Creators update. So I went ahead and started it at around 8 PM. I checked at 1 AM and it was installing at 40%. At 8 AM it was at 80%. At 12...
  6. Icons missing in start menu following Creators update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons missing in start menu following Creators update.: I've got missing start menu icons following the Creators Update, coming and going on boot ups. Anyone else? 83655
  7. PC Slowed Since Installing Creators Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC Slowed Since Installing Creators Edition: Yesterday my HP laptop was upgraded to Creators Edition from the prevailing earlier edition (with all updates. Since then my PC seems to have slowed. For example, when I mouse click on anything it takes about a second before the system responds. This happens when I click on a...
  8. Synaptics icon missing from system tray ever since Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Synaptics icon missing from system tray ever since Creators Update: Ever since I upgraded to the Creators Update, the Synaptics touchpad application icon has not been showing up on my system tray. Within the application, the "Display icon on system tray" option is ticked on. I tried reinstalling the drivers and after a few reboots, it doesn't...
  9. Blurry text since Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry text since Creators Update.: I tried every fix out there nothing works that googling says. Nothing works. The issue I am having is that certain fonts and this affects all programs are blurry. Even MS own built in programs. The issue is the Segoe UI font. Example if I change the font to a program to...
  10. JPG files are Photo after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    JPG files are Photo after Creators update: I want JPEG file to be recognized as JPEG not as Photo after creators update, but I do want to keep "photo" as standard program to open. Robby 81436