Windows 10: File Explorer - rearranging files

Discus and support File Explorer - rearranging files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer. This is not referring to the slide show feature,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tone Dialling, Aug 8, 2015.

1. File Explorer - rearranging files

I work for a photographer and I need to be able to view large icons in an order that I control. At present, I am able to rearrange (photo) icons in whatever order I choose. But when I attempt to look at a sequence of images (one at a time, of course) with appropriate software – in my case Windows Photo Viewer but the same is true of the new app called Photos – all I get is the original sequence. Having made the attempt at viewing the full image, when I return to File Explorer, I find that my rearrangement has been temporary and the original order has been restored.
    This problem first arose with the launch of Windows 7 and it was in one of the Windows 7 forums that a solution was provided. That came about via a piece of software, what looks to me like a batch file that altered the registry. It is called: Disable_Windows_Explorer_Auto_Arrange.reg. In addition, the author provided an antidote.
    Two questions:

• Dare I run that edit in Windows 10?
    • If not, is there a suitable alternative?
    I can supply copies of the two files to anyone that is interested. I am sorry that I am unable to acknowledge the original author as the file properties now merely say that “this file came from another machine ...”, but I suspect it was an expert contributer called Brink.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony

:)

Tone Dialling, Aug 8, 2015
  2. D Grant Win User

file explorer

How do you rearrange documents in File Explorer. I can't drag and drop

D Grant, Aug 8, 2015
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

File Explorer - rearranging files

The file, which you mean most likely is called Disable_Windows_7_Explorer_Auto_Arrange.bat and has this header information:
    Code: :: Created by: Shawn Brink :: Windows 7 Help Forums :: Tutorial: Windows 7 Help Forums Maybe you somehow, somewhere find the author, he should be able to tell you and he might actually be around here as well... ;-) It's Brink.

Joergi, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer - rearranging files

1. File Explorer - rearranging files - Similar Threads - File Explorer rearranging

2. File Explorer folders close, Firefox windows/Text files rearrange in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer folders close, Firefox windows/Text files rearrange in taskbar: Windows 11 up to date, but haven't updated to optional KB5028254 preview version. File folders close at random times, fairly often, and open firefox and text files rearrange order at random on taskbar. Browsing forums, it seems this problem existed on win 10 for some...
  3. File Explorer folders close, Firefox windows/Text files rearrange in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer folders close, Firefox windows/Text files rearrange in taskbar: Windows 11 up to date, but haven't updated to optional KB5028254 preview version. File folders close at random times, fairly often, and open firefox and text files rearrange order at random on taskbar. Browsing forums, it seems this problem existed on win 10 for some...
  4. Windows 11 22H2 Update Rearranged File Explorer, Help Needed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 Update Rearranged File Explorer, Help Needed.: Good afternoon,After I updated to Windows 11 22H2, my File Explorer moved Quick Access below the new Home section. For that last decade it has been listed top to bottom as, Quick Access, One Drive or Home, then This PC and Network. Is there anyway to move it back to original...
  5. Windows 11 22H2 Update Rearranged File Explorer, Help Needed.

Windows 11 22H2 Update Rearranged File Explorer, Help Needed.: Good afternoon,After I updated to Windows 11 22H2, my File Explorer moved Quick Access below the new Home section. For that last decade it has been listed top to bottom as, Quick Access, One Drive or Home, then This PC and Network. Is there anyway to move it back to original...
  6. Is it possible to rearrange order of lists in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to rearrange order of lists in File Explorer?: I am Win 1064 21H2 fully updated.I regularly use File Explorer to rename files especially ones that come through with default generic names and ones emailed to me with meaningless names such as XXXvvvvv.mnp4 Unfortunately Delete appears immediately above Rename and sometimes...
  7. Is it possible to rearrange order of lists in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to rearrange order of lists in File Explorer?: I am Win 1064 21H2 fully updated.I regularly use File Explorer to rename files especially ones that come through with default generic names and ones emailed to me with meaningless names such as XXXvvvvv.mnp4 Unfortunately Delete appears immediately above Rename and sometimes...
  8. Is it possible to rearrange order of lists in File Explorer?

9. OneDrive has rearranged the structure of my file explorer and caused the malfunction of my...

OneDrive has rearranged the structure of my file explorer and caused the malfunction of my...: After various attempts at troubleshooting and multiple factory resets to my SSD from a USB booted OS, I'm still graced with the same issue for which I cannot find the root cause. For some time now, I've been having issues with OneDrive going on to automatically upload...
  10. Rearranging file locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rearranging file locations: I reformatted one of my PC a while back and obviously did something wrong. My PC has a 250 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. All my stuff is on the SSD. I would like for my OS and whatever else should live on that drive to be there and all my storage be on the HDD.I'd like to keep my...