Windows 10: File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

Discus and support File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; File Explorer will refuse to open on my PC. when I double click on the icon in my taskbar and start menu, the screen will go black for a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 1-UP GAMER, Aug 14, 2018.

1. File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

File Explorer will refuse to open on my PC. when I double click on the icon in my taskbar and start menu, the screen will go black for a second (excluding taskbar) and nothing else will happen.

:)

1-UP GAMER, Aug 14, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Refuses to Open Files

So every once in a while my windows explorer breaks and refuses to open any files whatsoever, it completely freezes until I restart it from task manager.

I had previously found a fix which involved scanning for corrupted files from cmd, but I cannot remember it properly, and I cannot find the guide on the internet anymore

If anyone has any suggestions, that would help me a lot, thank you

halpihasproblem, Aug 14, 2018
  4. File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

1. File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC - Similar Threads - File Explorer Refuses

2. File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Freezes when "This PC" is opened: for some reason on my computer file explorer goes not responding for a min or 2 whenever this PC is opened, I have searched online but have found no solution....
  3. my files wont open in files explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my files wont open in files explorer: Hi microsoftMy files are not opening in the files explorer ,, i use windows 10 . it shows that its a file system error for all the files i have opened ,, it used to open before Pls fix my problem...
  4. my files wont open in files explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my files wont open in files explorer: Hi microsoftMy files are not opening in the files explorer ,, i use windows 10 . it shows that its a file system error for all the files i have opened ,, it used to open before Pls fix my problem...
  5. my files wont open in files explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Solution for UIRibbon.dll not working when explorer refuses to open

Solution for UIRibbon.dll not working when explorer refuses to open: I had a similar problem to deadmanworking's issue: His windows explorer would not open no matter where he'd open it from, and Event Viewer puts the blame on UIRibbon.dll, yet he was messing around in what I assume is the Quick Access Toolbar, which is what I was doing too....
  7. File Explorer open to : This PC -- just Doesn't. It used to open to This PC.

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer open to : This PC -- just Doesn't. It used to open to This PC.: File Explorer open to : This PC -- just Doesn't. It used to open to This PC, the "option" to open to This PC is still selected. Yet every time I select the File Explorer taskbar icon (which now calls itself "Libraries") -- File Explorer opens to Quick Access (instead of...
  8. Computer refuses to open .exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer refuses to open .exe files: Out of nowhere my computer has stopped opening .exe files and instead a pop up appears reading (file name)-Bad Image C:\Windows\System32\msdmo.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. I first noticed this when trying to open the Ubisoft game...
  9. File Explorer refuses to acknowledge Dark Mode

File Explorer refuses to acknowledge Dark Mode: This website is absolutely useless when it comes to finding answers. Every place I search just tells me to go to my Personalization, Colors, switch the system to Dark Mode and magically File Explorer switches as well. Yeah... no, it doesn't. I had a dark Explorer...
  10. This PC refuses to open

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC refuses to open: Hi all, first post here for me, I've been using this forum to help me along with my new laptop for learning the basics (my last computer was windows XP!). I've come across an issue I can't find an answer for though. For some reason I can't access the file "this PC". Every...