Windows 10: File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

Discus and support File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Orerockon, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Orerockon Win User

File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files in the destination folder. One click, keep the old file and rename the new one, bam, done. Now, trying the same thing in Win 10, I get a really stupid box, Replace the files in the destination (same as the old), Skip these files (ditto), or Let me decide for each file (abotu the same, I don't have any Win 7 boxes to check). So I click on Let me decide... and a list of all the files comes up with checkboxes for each and every one, and two to select all the files in one or both folders. So now I have an extra step compared to Win 7, I have to check off these boxes, then continue. All I had to do is click on copy and rename the files in Win 7. Does anyone else think this is a really stupid and unnecessary complication of a really common thing to do in Explorer? More to the point, is there some setting that I can turn off, to let it replace or rename everything with one simple mouse click? I've tried the old Robocpoy and Rich Copy and they're not acceptable, even more steps that explorer.

Slightly related question: is there a fully featured alternative to file explorer (by that I mean everything that Win 7 File explorer could do)? Coupled with other "deimprovements" like destroying the insanely useful "recent files & folders" in the folder pane every save/save as menu in every program and replacing it with the fatally flawed "Quick Access" I'm wanting to ditch it altogether. It would be really special if we just could revert to the old File explorer and make life a heck of a lot easier.

:)

Orerockon, Oct 23, 2015

2. Copying file with the same name

Hi Marcomm,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 . I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

I would suggest you to select the third option "Compare info for both files" then try to check the boxes of both files.

After that click on continue.

You will be able to copy both files as Windows 7.

I hope this help.
    Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Oct 23, 2015
  3. Marcomm_ Win User
    Copying file with the same name

Unfortunately my third option is not the one you mention...please see attached picture.

And if I select "Let me decide..." then I can only replace or skip.

File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying [​IMG]

Marcomm_, Oct 23, 2015
  4. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

I had this same issue. There are some alternatives mentioned in this other thread:
    Can the "Replace or Skip Files Confirmation" window be changed

I found the following info to be helpful:
    How the Windows 8 copy file conflict dialog slows you down - XP was my idea (includes pictures of each different dialog)
    It clearly illustrates how much more of a pain it is with the new version

EDIT: Here's another link to a related post on eight forums:
    Copy but keep both files option?

matteoautomata, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    When Copying or Moving from one place to another I'm given a choice/list of which to compare as to size and date then replace or keep both.

If wanting a second copy in the same Folder I right-click and drag a file to a white-space area and choose Copy here, adds - Copy to the file name but before the .xxx/Extension if File Explorer or the older Windows Explorer is set to show extensions of known file types.
    Examples:
    windows10.0-kb3170410-x64_998d936f7bb6523c2d1ec61d1b9538b82f67ca93.msu
    Copy becomes:
    windows10.0-kb3170410-x64_998d936f7bb6523c2d1ec61d1b9538b82f67ca93 - Copy.msu

Compounding the issue is that any Directory or Folder in DOS or Windows cannot contain 2 or more files of the exact same name, one has to be at least 1 character different, that's just for the file name, not the extension. Adding a character or changing a character of the extension will render it unusable.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

1. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying - Similar Threads - File Explorer rename

2. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  3. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  4. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  5. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  6. Renaming File in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming File in File Explorer: this is external USB drive when renamed Documents file after sync File explorer shows new name AsusDocuments210724 but when checked in command prompt it is still showing old name i'm puzzled. 183010
  7. Rename multiple files to same name + number

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename multiple files to same name + number: Hello, I have a folder with a lot of files of the same type. I want to rename them all to something like name1, name2, name3, and order by date (so that name1 is the oldest) Is there a way to do it? *I don't want to use the select all and then rename option because it...
  8. How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files: Hi, I would like to know if there is some registry hack or something that automatically renames files with the same name when copying or moving. For example you have folder with a file called banana.txt and then you copy another file called banana.txt to that folder and...
  9. windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 file explorer file copy and paste same file name shows a prompt but no file details: using windows 10 file explorer, copy a file by right click, for example. paste to a different folder. if a file of the same name exists, it displays a message to replace etc. but it does not indicate the details of each file, like in windows xp....
  10. Full permission to copy or rename a file in explorer or in Photoshop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Full permission to copy or rename a file in explorer or in Photoshop: I have some photo files on my desktop. I tried to crop and save as cropped in Photoshop, but I get the message the files don't exist. (see first Screenschot) When I go out the folder and try to copy the files, I had to give Admin permission for each one to duplicate the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows automatically renaming emails with the same name when copying