Windows 10: File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection

Discus and support File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Not sure if this is an annoying bug that everyone knows about by now, but I'm hoping there's a setting or registry value I've overlooked. Here is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by profess, Nov 5, 2016.

1. profess Win User

File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection

Not sure if this is an annoying bug that everyone knows about by now, but I'm hoping there's a setting or registry value I've overlooked.

Here is how to reproduce and some loverly pictures.

1. Open File Explorer to a folder with multiple files and select one with left click.

File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection [​IMG]

2. Right click on that same file and you'll get your normal context menu.

3. However, if you right click any other folder or file besides the already selected ones, you will clear the selection and not get the context menu for the file or folder that you right-clicked on.

File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection [​IMG]

In previous versions File Explorer behaved rationally and a selection event was presumed when right-clicking an unselected item.

Are we out of luck until MS fixes this or is there a remedy?

:)

profess, Nov 5, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Nov 5, 2016
  3. desibabu Win User
    Problems selecting multiple files in file explorer

While in file explorer (fe) I start by selecting the first file, press the shift key and start to scroll down using the down arrow key in order to select multiple files - by the time I've got to the 10th file the first x files have been automatically unselected
    - the x is a variable sometimes all of the above files have been unselected and not necessarily consecutive files have been unselected its totally random.

HOWEVER - if I click the down arrow key very slowly one file at a time - they remain selected.

This is a DELL laptop with the latest windows 10 (loaded laptop i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd etc.

Anyone encountered this?

desibabu, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Sorry @profess but I can't reproduce this behaviour, my File Explorer behaves...
    Windows 10 Home x64 version 1607 build 14393.351 - what's yours?

Hmm, looking closer at the first screenshot I can see one possible reason - you're not actually right-clicking on the second file, rather slightly to the right of it. The left edge of the context menu is the giveaway - it always appears aligned with your mouse pointer. Try actually clicking over the text of the second file name (as you appear to have done in the second screenshot). Anywhere else and you get the context meny for the folder your files are in. The only exception is if you right-click anywhere on the highlighted line of a selected file when you do get the file's context.

BTW, my Win7 PC behaves exactly the same way.

Bree, Nov 5, 2016
  5. profess Win User
    Aha! You're right with your update.

That is exactly what's happening.

I would prefer that it didn't happen, though. So any ideas there?

profess, Nov 5, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    I've just checked on my collection older PCs. This behaviour is the same in Win7 and XP. In .Win95 it's different, the highlight doesn't extend across the screen - just a rectangle highlighting the text of the filename. I guess the behaviour was changed to a full width highlight to make it easier to find somewhere to click (for those with poor motor skills or visually impaired?). I'm afraid you're going to have to learn to live with it.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - Right Clicking Unselected File Clears Selection - Similar Threads - File Explorer Right

2. Windows File Explorer right click menu is selecting files through the menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer right click menu is selecting files through the menu: In Windows 11 File Explorer, if I select a file and right click it to choose something from the dropdown list, like copy, instead of selecting the menu item, it selects the file underneath the menu item. It's basically clicking through the dropdown list. I have to right click...
  3. Windows File Explorer right click menu is selecting files through the menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer right click menu is selecting files through the menu: In Windows 11 File Explorer, if I select a file and right click it to choose something from the dropdown list, like copy, instead of selecting the menu item, it selects the file underneath the menu item. It's basically clicking through the dropdown list. I have to right click...
  4. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  5. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  6. File Explorer And right click menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer And right click menu: When I try to open properties menu in file explorer noting pops up Don't know what to do I've tried sfc/scannow as admin and in safe mode and still did not work.My right click Context menu doesn't work either But works on chrome but not the desktop it self...
  7. File explorer crashes on right click on file

File explorer crashes on right click on file: It crashes immediately if the machine has been up for a while/other programs open. If freshly rebooted, right click goes into hourglass for many minutes, may never stop. Suggestions??...
  8. Right clicking files crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right clicking files crashes File Explorer: The screen would stop for a second, go black, then reset itself as if nothing actually happened. This only affects my image files. I tried ShellExView and disabling any third-party context menus, but that didn't work. I tried Autoruns, but I couldn't find anything that's...
  9. File Explorer Right Click Delay

File Explorer Right Click Delay: Windows 10 64bit Pro; Windows File Explorer This problem occurs with Pictures Screenshot *.png files and maybe others. After screenshot is taken, right click the *.png file. The blue circle busy icon appears for about 30 seconds before the context menu appears. Afterward...
  10. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...