Windows 10: File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

Discus and support File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hopeful, Jun 3, 2016.

1. hopeful Win User

File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

Hello,
    The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory solution as it doesn't show the explorer tree.
    > Is there a patch for this please?

Also, in between, I have used a Mac and there is a search function that you may consider:
    It allows to specify the search several unattached words in the name AND in a time period AND a type.
    Example : name: Report + name: Geneva + date: 30 March-10 April + type: pptx
    THis is most useful for limiting the number of results in very large databases inside Explorer.
    > What do you think?

:)

hopeful, Jun 3, 2016
  2. MRISAK Win User

Searching file names using wild characters

In searching File Explorer (Win10) the wild character "?" doesn't seem to work when searching for a file name. e.g. "?E1" doesn't produce a list of files having E1 as 2nd & 3rd character in file names. Used to work beautifully in Win 7.

MRISAK, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    How to do more sophisticated indexing and searching

For that sort of a file name search I prefer to use a tool calle "Everything" from Void tools. It ties into the NTFS file system to provide instant file name searches using individual words in file name. You can enter them in any order. The searches are
    limited to file names on your system, unlike the built in Win 10 search which defaults to cluttering the search with internet hits too. I use it hundreds of times a day looking for files and IE "favorites" (up to today I had a tool that allowed FireFox to
    use IE Favorites. It was great).

Rohn007, Jun 3, 2016
  4. hopeful Win User

Found the solution: type name:abc, date: xx/yy/zz etc.

hopeful, Jun 3, 2016
Thema:

1. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  7. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  9. File Explorer Search Date Limited

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search Date Limited: I have updated to Windows 10 Ver. 2004. Ever since the update the search feature of File Explorer is acting weird. I have a folder with folders and files dating back to 2007. When I do a search for Adobe PDF files (there are hundreds going back to 2007) I only get the PDF...
  10. searching with file explorer for just file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"