Windows 10: File Explorer search not working

Discus and support File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. The search in the task bar seems to be working perfectly but the search bar in file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Grim94, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Grim94 Win User

File Explorer search not working

Hi,
    I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.
    The search in the task bar seems to be working perfectly but the search bar in file explorer does not display any results.
    I tried rebuilding, modifying the indices but still no change.

File Explorer search not working [​IMG]

Thanks in Advance.

:)

Grim94, Jul 30, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    File Explorer Search Not Working

Thank you for the update.

We're glad that the has been resolved. There's a possibility that some of the Windows settings have changed due to Windows updates installation.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Jul 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might try this:

Fix search does not work in PC Settings app in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/26645-file-explorer-search-not-working.html
    See #9, #10

Try searching the forum for more threads
    search not working

Notes:
    1. Explorer search should work slowly for non-indexed items, fast for indexed items. So rebuilding the index or changing the indexed locations is not likely to be the issue. And beware- part of the default settings is necessary for search in Settings to work.
    2. Cortana (task bar box) search - did you use 'My Stuff'? That searches what's on disk - but only searches what's indexed last I tried it.
    3. FYI: explorer search supports a search syntax - info on internet.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Grim94 Win User
    Thanks for the fast response, dalchina.
    1. As in the third img every folder and sub folder is indexed. I rebuilt the index thrice but still no change.
    2. Yes. I disabled web search.

No that thread didnn't help fix the problem. Is there any other hot fix.

Grim94, Jul 30, 2016
  6. TrustMe Win User
    I just use Everything search. It's way better than Windows search.

TrustMe, Jul 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    As before, please confirm My Stuff search works properly for you within the limits of what's indexed.

I completely agree with TrustMe - explorer search other than simple cases can be relatively slow, sometimes unreliable (apparently) and you may need to use Advanced search syntax to achieve your goals.

I use Locate32 (freeware) - operates on the same basis as Everything - fast index, maintained, of ALL file/folder names on ALL partitions- find-as-you-type, specification of size, date range, extensions etc etc and search syntax too. Also supports searching found text files as an extra.

Everything has a modern GUI and is maintained.

However, you don't want sthg broken related to explorer...

dalchina, Jul 30, 2016
  8. Grim94 Win User

The cortana search(my stuff) in the task bar finds all indexed files perfectly
    The problem is on the search bar within the file explorer next to address bar. Please refer to the second img. I searched the string "project" but no action takes place.
    It is not a major setback. I thought some minor registry tweak might fix the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience*Smile

Grim94, Jul 30, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try the search troubleshooter:

(My Win 10 will look a bit different as I use Aeroglass and coloured backgrounds via a reg fix and Qttabbar)

It will be interesting to verify search in Settings works.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2016
  10. I had some issues searching on a Windows 2008R2 share on the network, but i guess it also applies to local directories.

With Windows 7 Explorer you can search for e.g. "123" (without quotes) and you will find a filename "8765_1234.xls" with Windows 10 i couldn´t find the same file in the same directory *Sad
    If you enter a wildcard in front of the search-string it worked.
    Searching for "*123" (without quotes) will show you the file "8765_1234.xls" *Smile
    Hope this helps

HisDudeness, Jan 16, 2017
  11. druekberg Win User
    I tried all of these relevant solutions; they did not work or did not apply.

When I tried "Delete and rebuild index" from the Advanced section of Indexing Options, it said it deleted the index, but when I returned to the main Indexing Options screen, the index count was exactly the same.

Here's what worked for me: in Component Services, I stopped Windows Search. I got a message that it would also turn off Media Player network search. No big deal. Then it ran some processes. Then I turned it on again. It ran some processes again (I assume it was deleting the index and restarting it, for real this time).

When I went back to the Indexing Options window, lo and behold, the index was at 0, and then it slowly rebuilt itself.

I was led to this solution from here:

Fix Search not working in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Cortana was not listed in my Task Manager, so I scrolled down to "Option 1: The Windows Search Service." That worked.

druekberg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer search not working - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  8. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  9. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. File Explorer Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search Not Working: Recently, I have observed the Search feature of the File Explorer does not work (e.g., No items match your search). The folders I'm searching are indexed. I've tried rebuilding the index. I can even drill down to a folder I know contains the sought file and entering a search...