Windows 10: File explorer - setting a default opening screen to particular folder

Discus and support File explorer - setting a default opening screen to particular folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was able to do this in Win7 but can't figure out what to do in W10. Problem is that I want File Explorer to start with the display at a particular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tone Dialling, Aug 17, 2016.

1. File explorer - setting a default opening screen to particular folder

I was able to do this in Win7 but can't figure out what to do in W10.
    Problem is that I want File Explorer to start with the display at a particular folder. In my case that is D:\Tony\Pictures. And with the contents of that folder in the right-hand pane.
    I should add that C: is the label for the SSD on this PC and data is stored in D:
    At the moment, in the folders pane it shows five items: Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, Network and Homegroup. If any of these are expanded then it will remain expanded but only down one level when re-opened. The default selected item of the five is always Quick Access and that is of little use to me.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tony

:)

Tone Dialling, Aug 17, 2016

2. ISO download

Thank you again for your reply.

The things that will not open on double click are folders and sub-folders, once I get a folder open then individual files within seem to open on "double click".

Thanks

Found answer for me -

Go to regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ shell set "default" value to "explore"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell set "default" value to "explore"

RoyGraham1939, Aug 17, 2016
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    File Explorer

In the File Tab > Change Folder and Search Options, you can experiment with the various settings, including un-ticking the default Quick Access Settings.

You can also use File Explorer's View Tab to tailor the opening screen in numerous ways.

Erdeslawe, Aug 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

File explorer - setting a default opening screen to particular folder

dalchina, Aug 17, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    You could right click the folder and pin it to Start,
    or select what you do not want on quick access and unpin it,
    then pin your pictures folder to quick access,
    so all you have to do is right click the file explorer icon and select you pictures folder there.

Cliff S, Aug 17, 2016
  6. Tone Dialling, Aug 18, 2016
  7. Danke Schön, Cliff
    I had a go at your suggestion but there was such a lot of material drifting about that I stoppede and tried Dalchina's second suggestion and that worked fine and was quick to implement. I'll not forgot your suggestion.
    Tony

Tone Dialling, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

*ThumbsIt's always best to choose the option that works for you*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer - setting a default opening screen to particular folder - Similar Threads - File explorer setting

2. how to set default setting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to set default setting in File Explorer: I want File Explorer to have a default setting for ALL folders as shown highlighted in the screen print, In addition when I want to open or save a file I want the file listing to be in name order, not date....
  3. how to set default setting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to set default setting in File Explorer: I want File Explorer to have a default setting for ALL folders as shown highlighted in the screen print, In addition when I want to open or save a file I want the file listing to be in name order, not date....
  4. Set D:\ as File Explorer Default

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Set D:\ as File Explorer Default: PC / Windows 10 - C:\ is operating systemD:\ partition is my file systemAttempting to set File Explorer default so it always shows D:\ files;Presently, Windows offers only "Quick Access" or whatever it's called or "My PC" default settings typical limited MS thinking and there...
  5. File folder default settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File folder default settings: Every time I open a folder I haven't used for several days, or even overnight, the view reverts to details view instead of the large icon view I would like.Is there a way to change this?...
  6. File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .

File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .: I tried everything available on Internet sfc /scannow chkdsk etc here is the error in event viewer... Fault bucket 1807279198899510965, type 4 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: explorer.exe P2: 10.0.19041.662 P3: 996782f8 P4:...
  7. File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .

File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .: I tried everything available on Internet sfc /scannow chkdsk etc here is the error in event viewer... Fault bucket 1807279198899510965, type 4 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: explorer.exe P2: 10.0.19041.662 P3: 996782f8 P4:...
  8. File Explorer Default settings

File Explorer Default settings: When I open File Explorer for the first time I want to control what it displays. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-default-settings/bab1ad48-2bd1-44ca-bc3c-03b61bd46647
  9. set default open folder in Windows File Explorer

set default open folder in Windows File Explorer: I've searched the internet and tried lots of things, but I cannot set a default opening folder for Windows File Explorer in Windows 10. Please advise. And thanks....
  10. set file open with default

in Windows 10 Customization
    set file open with default: How do you set the default program to open a file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-file-open-with-default/7037987b-12e8-4e04-ad36-983ae85bfd65