Windows 10: File Explorer shows too many drives

Discus and support File Explorer shows too many drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 HDDs split into 2 drives each: C,D,E,F.. I also have one DVD drive. Also one Card Reader hooked to USB. So what the file explorer shows is C,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dakota37, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Dakota37 Win User

File Explorer shows too many drives

I have 2 HDDs split into 2 drives each: C,D,E,F.. I also have one DVD drive. Also one Card Reader hooked to USB. So what the file explorer shows is C, D, E, F, DVD, Removable disk, I, J, K, and L. How do I get rid of these extra drives? They do not exist. *Confused*Confused

:)

Dakota37, Aug 22, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Help with Homegroup / Peer Networking error 1068

There is a typo in the path. Too many backslashes after the drive specification. However, even then Windows Explorer may be interfering with attempts to access too much too fast. Try getting there in steps?

FWIW I was able to start from here

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Aug 22, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

If the usb reader has multi inputs they sometimes show a drive letter for each type of card

Samuria, Aug 22, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Does your PC have any "Smart Media" slots?

File Explorer shows too many drives [​IMG]

That's probably what I, J, K and L are.

If you do not use them, you can remove the drive letters in Disk Management.

Edwin, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Yep, that's exactly what they are. Might work to hide empty drives. Most folks I deal with use only the SD/SDHC slot.

Berton, Aug 22, 2016
  7. Dakota37 Win User
    Thanks, that is what I have.

Dakota37, Aug 22, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

@Berton's solution is probably best.
    Open File Explorer Options from Control Panel, in the View Tab,
    check mark Don't show hidden files, folders or drives and Hide empty drives, click Apply and OK.

File Explorer shows too many drives [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 22, 2016
  9. Dakota37 Win User
    Okay, did that and it still shows all of those drives.

Dakota37, Aug 22, 2016
  10. DooGie Win User
    As Edwin said.

Go into Disk Management and remove the drive letters from the drives you don't use.

It worked for a usb card reader that is in my printer.

DooGie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer shows too many drives - Similar Threads - File Explorer shows

2. Extracted too many files on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extracted too many files on desktop: Basically while I wasn't paying attention I extracted all files onto my desktop and now my screen goes black every other time I click and can't open any applications....
  3. Extracted too many files on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extracted too many files on desktop: Basically while I wasn't paying attention I extracted all files onto my desktop and now my screen goes black every other time I click and can't open any applications....
  4. Extracted too many files on desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File Explorer not showing drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer not showing drives: Hi all. A weird one I've never seen before. One of my customers has a plain desktop with current Windows 10. When he opens "File Explorer", NO drives show beneath the "Devices and drives. Not C:\ hard drive, DVD/CD drive, or an additional external drive (F:\) that's connected...
  6. File explorer shows too many disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer shows too many disks: When I open file explorer, it use show C:, D: , E: and F: but now it has automatically created N,O, P, Q ,R,S, T,U,V automatically, everyone of them has a a folder called download and inside them is some zip files which names are the same of a steam software i downloaded...
  7. too many Document files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    too many Document files: I had a Dell computer stop working. Had to use direct cable to transfer files to new Dell. Had problems and created 4 separate registry files on C drive, My computer, My name and a 4th. Every time I save a file it goes to all four document files. I am running out of memory....
  8. File explorer not showing a drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not showing a drive.: Why does file explorer not show a thumb drive? It appears in Device Manager with an assigned drive letter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-showing-a-drive/5ffda71c-faac-498d-bc10-cc812a24ccd7"
  9. Too many Partitions on hard drive

Too many Partitions on hard drive: Hello, I have a Dell XPS 18, Upgraded from from Win 8 to Win 10. I have a Seagate ST500LT012-9WS14S. It is NOT a SSD. The system works just fine. My hard drive is a mess!! I have cloned the hard drive but I need to make space on my C: drive. When I look at the...
  10. Too many CD/DVD drives shown in File Explorer

Too many CD/DVD drives shown in File Explorer: I have one DVD drive, with no DVD in it, yet File Explorer shows three drives, each with files in them. How do I get rid of the two phantom drives and get rid of the phantom files in the real DVD drive? 54816