Windows 10: File Explorer slow and Start menu icons not highlighting after update

Discus and support File Explorer slow and Start menu icons not highlighting after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the big update on Sunday (for me anyway), whenever I use File Explorer, it takes ages to do anything. I can double-click a folder, and it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Yossu Win User

File Explorer slow and Start menu icons not highlighting after update

Since the big update on Sunday (for me anyway), whenever I use File Explorer, it takes ages to do anything. I can double-click a folder, and it will take about 5 seconds to open it. Even when it opens it, I often get "Working on it" for a few seconds before the files show.

As often as not, when I double-click, nothing happens at all. Sometimes it opens the textbox to rename the folder (despite me double-clicking), sometimes it just doesn't do anything.

This happens on both of my disks, one of which is an SSD, so it's not like the device itself is going slowly.

Also, when I open the Start menu and hover my mouse over an icon, the icon is not highlighted. Sometimes it highlights the icon above or below, sometimes not.

As you can imagine, this is making working with the machine very difficult.

Anyone any ideas?

:)

Yossu, Nov 21, 2017

2. Delete Pocket MSN

Hi Robert,

You cannot remove Pocket MSN from your device. It is part of the ROM but you can delete the shortcut from the Programs Menu via File Explorer.

Navigate to your Windows folder/Start Menu/Programs then highlight the Pocket MSN icon. Press delete

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Removing programs from WM6 standard

Did you reboot your device after uninstalling Sprite backup? It is recommended to do so, so the system can remove remaining files.
    After doing that, you will probably still see the icon in the Start Menu. If that is the case, open File Explorer and navigate to \Wondows\Start Menu\ and manulally delete the icon.

Pocket PC Mauritius omnia i900 avnya henriett

Linley Meslier, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Yossu Win User

P.S. The more I use this machine, the more everything seems to be dragging. I just tried opening Task Manager, and it took about 2-3 minutes before the window was ready. I could see it painting the various bits of the window as it went along.

Yossu, Nov 21, 2017
  5. zinou Win User
    What you can do to troubleshoot that the right way and get answers to your problem is;

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit Windows ADK downloads - Windows Hardware Dev Center . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.

- When the problem occur, start recording a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: - justpaste.it

- While recording the trace, try to work on your system for about 2 minutes. Then click the save button and give your file a name.

- Compress the resulting file

- Share it through Free file transfer, send large files - TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

zinou, Nov 23, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Please also post a screenshot of your task manager so we can see there's no basic issue in terms of CPU, RAM or disk use.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Then Browse to your image, select it and upload it. E.g. png, jpg. Thanks.

For more guidance
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials

One problem some people fact with this major upgrade is that the change in drivers (all are reinstalled) may mean they receive a driver which no longer works properly. On a purely intuitive level (i.e. no proof) this is something to be aware of.

A couple of people have needed to use an older graphics driver, for example, noting you mention the time to paint a GUI.

How much free space do you have on C: ? If your disk is too full, this can slow things down. (Windows.old will have been created so some 20Gb or so space will have been used- cleared automatically in 10 days)

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  7. Yossu Win User
    Thanks to both of you for the replies. I was actually just about to report back that I found out what the problem was.

Last Sunday afternoon I installed Hyper-V, and immediately started with the CPU issues. As Windows was driving me mad about the update, I assumed it was related to that, especially as the problems persisted after restarting. It never occurred to me that just installing Hyper-V would affect the system - at least not until I created a VM.

When the light bulb eventually went on, I uninstalled Hyper-V, restarted, and everything works fine.

So, nothing to do with the update at all, everything to do with Hyper-V, which has been removed from my PC, never to return!

However, zinou's tips about analysing performance are well worth noting in case I have an issue in the future.

Dalchine, I should have added some vital statistics. Will remember that for the future.

Thanks again

Yossu, Nov 25, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Thanks for letting us know. Symptoms can have multiple potential causes.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Yossu Win User
    Hmm, looks like I spoke too soon. The machine is grinding along again.

I used the performance recorder, and have a file for you to check. This is around 2 mins, the last 30-60 seconds of which I wasn't doing anything other than navigating the file system using File Explorer. It was going really slowly, taking a while to open folders (if it did at all, sometimes it interpreted my double-click as a single-click, sometimes as two single-clicks).

Please see if you can see anything suspicious. Thanks.

Would you mind explaining what you're looking for. I had a quick look myself, but couldn't really work out what I was supposed to do. Didn't help that the Getting Started info in the Performance Analyser did't match what I saw in the window. It said to click File -> Configure Symbols, but there wasn't such an option. The Trace menu had a Load Configure Symbol Paths option, but it didn't seem to fit exactly with what I saw. I'd like to be able to do this myself.

Thanks

Yossu, Nov 28, 2017
  10. zinou Win User
    Are Volume Shadow Copy Enabled in the services ? If yes disable it and give it a try.

File Explorer slow and Start menu icons not highlighting after update [​IMG]

zinou, Nov 28, 2017
  11. Yossu Win User
    Hello,

No it's not running. It's startup type is manual, and right now it's not running.

The odd thing about those graphs is that, as I said earlier, during the last 30-60 seconds of the trace, I was only using File Explorer and nothing else, but it was grinding along really slowly. The graphs don't seem to show much during that time. I can see lots of things happening earlier, which was also slowing the machine down, but I'm puzzled why they don't show anything for that last bit.

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas?

Yossu, Nov 29, 2017
  12. Yossu Win User
    Just noticed that the high CPU periods are often associated with a System entry in the Task Manager...

When I took that screenshot, it wasn't using much CPU, but it does sometimes. Any idea what this is and why it would use so much CPU?

Thanks again

Yossu, Nov 29, 2017
  13. zinou Win User

Make the volume shadow copy service start type to disabled and restart your computer.

zinou, Nov 29, 2017
  14. Yossu Win User
    OK, will do. Have to wait until later as I can't restart now, but I'll try it and let you know.

What does that service do? Will I be losing out in any way? I did a search, but the results mostly seemed to assume you know what volume copying is, which I don't! I use the Windows File History / Backup feature. Will that be affected?

Thanks again.

Yossu, Nov 29, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    To answer this part, that is the kernel of the operating system. The guts. Without it, you would have no OS, nothing. It guides and monitors everything else. Don't try to do anything to it. It will peak when there is a lot of other internal service work going on.

f14tomcat, Nov 29, 2017
Thema:

1. File Explorer slow and Start menu icons not highlighting after update - Similar Threads - File Explorer slow

2. Start menu right click menu not highlighting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu right click menu not highlighting: When I go to the start menu, type in an application like cmd, then try to right click, the menu no longer highlights. Is there a fix for this problem? Thank you....
  3. Start menu right click menu not highlighting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu right click menu not highlighting: When I go to the start menu, type in an application like cmd, then try to right click, the menu no longer highlights. Is there a fix for this problem? Thank you....
  4. start menu highlighted apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu highlighted apps: This is driving me crazy XO, why are some of them highlighted????[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-highlighted-apps/61e8b2e6-4f5c-4814-a9ff-4452cc87c0d1
  5. Icon files on start menu

Icon files on start menu: [ATTACH]Earlier this icon came when there were folder on Start Menu, like Windows System and all [ATTACH]But now these icon come for Windows System and all Any ideas how to return back the earlier format??...
  6. Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting: I'm on Win 10 Pro-64 bits (10.0, Build 17134) A few months ago, my Explorer (i.e. desktop) stopped starting automatically when booting Windows. I tried all I could find on the Web to fix, but I gave up as nothing proposed worked. So when I log in, I manually start the Task...
  7. File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted: Hello, I having this problem since I upgraded from Windows 10 1803 (official release) to Windows 10 Insider / Preview Build 17744.rs5_release_180818-1845 I've tried ShellExView and disabled all non-Microsoft Shell Extensions as seen on print this print...
  8. Needed file explorer icon from menu start

Needed file explorer icon from menu start: Hi there! I need file explorer icon witch appears on menu start. Where I can find this icon on system files, or maybe anyone have image file of this. Thanks for help. *Smile [img] [img] 78195
  9. anniversary update no text labels start menu icons e.g. file explorer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    anniversary update no text labels start menu icons e.g. file explorer: Since the anniversary update, I have no text labels start menu icons e.g. file explorer... Also the pinned icons no longer appear as a single column, now shows as three columns I know I can click on the top icon with the 3 bars to display the text, but would like it...
  10. File Explorer Navigation Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Navigation Menu Icons: I am totally baffled, new install upgrade from Win7 and I cannot understand why the folder icons are kind of incomplete - anyone any ideas ??? 22884