Windows 10: File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Discus and support File explorer slow/Never loading solution in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This worked GREAT for me! Thanks. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by razghost, Aug 11, 2015.

1. File explorer slow/Never loading solution

This worked GREAT for me! Thanks.

scottbernstein, Oct 10, 2016
  2. aykenigma Win User

You, sir, deserve a million thanks

aykenigma, Oct 15, 2016
  3. BGE
    bge Win User
    I had the same problem this week. Opening explorer to "this PC" was slow. I suspected bad handling of an offline network drive, or something in quick access. After reading here about the search indexer, that has been a pain since Vista, but improved in 7, and that I haven't had any problem with for years, I dropped some indexed folders and now explorer opens at once without the 10 second delay.

For those that aren't familiar with the search indexer it has to be said: You don't need to flush the baby out with the bathwater. Don't just shut off the search and everything bad that leads to.

Do like this:
    1. Press start and type "index" and press enter. This opens control panel - Indexing options. There you have all folders and special folders that the search indexer cares about.
    2. Click "modify" button and uncheck everything that you don't need indexed. Selecting a folder in the lower view will highlight it in the browser above so you don't have to guess where it is. You don't have to index files on a SSD, except for start menu if you use it much.
    3. When all your heavy files (my problem was 30000 photos on my HDD) are unchecked, click Ok. Then it will rebuild the index when you let it idle.
    4. Optionally, to speed the process up - click "advanced" button and then click "rebuild" to build the index from scratch.
    5. Done.

Now you have both a lean index and the search capabilities intact. Unindexed items will be slower to search.

4. lexmedia Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

I was having the same problem and was searching online for an answer but didn`t find a good one as I don`t want to turn search off because I use the service to search for documents, etc fast.

So here it goes at least in my case the solution was simple and figured it out on my own:

1. Click on the slow loading File explorer icon from the taskbar and let it load.
    2. Check if in the "Frequent folders" you have listed a folder which is on a network location not on your own pc. If you do, just right click on the "Frequent folders" text and click on "Remove from quick access".

After the remote folder is no longer in the Frequent folders list everything will be fast as before.

Regards!

lexmedia, Nov 21, 2016
  5. dougm Win User
    Check windows search as previously stated under msconfig and also double check this
    Go to control panel Administrative tools Services
    Go window search and see if window search was running, mine was not
    Tried to start
    And then recieved the fix error 1053
    So next
    Under control panel
    Indexing options then advance and then rebuild
    Seems to fix problem

Better fix than just turning of windows search under msconfig as it did fix the problem
    but with windows search unchecked received a search warning in outlook 2016
    although Searching still seemed to work?????

dougm, Jan 18, 2017
  6. thyag1994 Win User
    I bought a new HP laptop from Amazon and was facing the same issue (Windows Explorer loading forever) and was on the verge of returning it
    Then I tried your solution. WORKED LIKE A DREAM ! Thank you

thyag1994, Feb 16, 2017
  7. It really worked!! i faced this problem after updating to creator update in windows 10 and seriously after disabling it it worked , i just made an account to thank you cause this problem was killing me and i was about to reinstall windows! so thanks!!

ahmad21122112, Apr 15, 2017
  8. dexter895 Win User

It worked well. Thank you

dexter895, Apr 29, 2017
  9. Thank you! That problem was making me so annoyed. I literally was about to start crying out of frustration.

Sascha Andersen, May 27, 2017
  10. smalltown Win User
    I wanted to try this, but under Services I do not see Windows Search. I am sorting alphabetically and go from Windows Remote Management to Windows Time.

smalltown, Oct 3, 2017
  11. Gordon7 Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution [​IMG]

Open Admin Tools > System Configuration (msconfig.exe)

Gordon7, Oct 3, 2017
  12. EdTittel Win User
    In Task Manager, it shows up as WSearch

File explorer slow/Never loading solution [​IMG]

--Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 4, 2017
  13. smalltown Win User

Ed thanks I see it in task manager as Wsearch with the description Windows Search status stopped.
    If I right click on it and try to start I get the error message :

The operation could not be completed.
    The service cannot be started, either the because it is
    disabled or because it has no enabled devices
    associated with it.

smalltown, Oct 4, 2017
  14. sinned Win User
    Thank you, legend! After about a dozen recommended fixes from various forums this is the one that did it for me.

sinned, Jan 19, 2018
  15. sinned Win User
    This search disable worked for me a couple of months ago and i thought my troubles were over but now, after the latest updates I am back to the never ending loading with green progress bar and some, or sometimes no thumbnails. I have tried every fix on every forum, a fix will work for a while and then the problem re occurs. There's no corrupt files. There must be some inherent flaw but nobody has been able to pinpoint it. Microsoft seem to know less about their product than their customers, or perhaps they are just keeping quiet about it. Their suggestions have been time wasters. I will seriously consider a mac (and I've never owned one) next time i buy a new computer, this windows 10 fiasco has wasted many hours of my life which in turn costs me $$. I must spend 1-2 days a month trying to remedy this problem. Anyone know if this might be caused by an AI mimic? I believe they are following all of us, learning from our responses to situations. This problem started for me last year about the time singularity rolled out. Coincidence? Could be, I know this problem has a history way prior. I don't know what to try next, and can't justify too many more hours on it, any lateral thinkers out there with suggestions?

sinned, Mar 14, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer slow/Never loading solution - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  3. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  4. File Explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  5. File Explorer loading slow

File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  6. file explorer loading slow

file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  7. file explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  8. Slow loading of audio files since a few years. Never found the solution.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow loading of audio files since a few years. Never found the solution.: Slow loading of audio files wav, mp3, etc Only when I go to a folder that have's more than 5 audio files, explorer starts to load every single file in a very slow way, and it won't allow me to go back to another folder or to close that same folder until it loads every single...
  9. File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Slow Loading Green Bar - Real solution finally found: Since microsoft, after untold years, still can't explain or fix this idiotic failure, I finally found a solution. Trust me, all the index tweaks, etc etc etc don't work. I tried everything, exhaustively. You just need to dump POS file explorer. There's a program called...
  10. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File explorer slow/Never loading solution