Windows 10: File Explorer slow to open or will not open

Discus and support File Explorer slow to open or will not open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wconner3lyh, Oct 15, 2015.

1. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it eventually opens, more than one screen comes up because the impatient among us have clicked more than once (personal problem). I often start by going to Explorer for a file I was working on so this is a real pain. All suggestions are welcome.

:)

wconner3lyh, Oct 15, 2015

2. File explorer does not open on windows 10

Original title:

file explorer opens and some drives like downloads could not open and automatically closes

file explorer does not open, Oct 15, 2015
  3. ltorg Win User
    File Explorer is slow to open

Vanessa Sohtun's advice was a big FAIL. Killing the explorer tree with the current Win10 version just kills off everything that's running except task manager, giving you a scary black screen. Fortunately you can use task manger to log off, and then log back
    in again and everything is like you just started up.

It is acting like something in file explorer is taking forever to poll a network drive or something it thinks should be available, and eventually it times out and shows all the drives. I notice that some programs (newer ones) suffer when you go file-open"or
    "file-save as"and the program has to look at the whole computer directory (all the disks, cloud storage places that are mounted, etc.), and it takes a long time for the program to respond. Older programs I have (e.g. WinXP-vintage) seem to make a different
    system call and get right in to the list of hard drives or the file structure in the drive your open file is in.

So dear MS MVPs, it isn't a virus problem, it isn't something killing explorer will fix, it is something that is inherent with Win10 (and something that, for me anyway, started 6 months ago after one of the updates.)

I use StartmenuX which replaces the start button (giving you something that looks more like a winXP start menu) and it has a quick link to "This PC" which instantly shows all the drives, and instantly lets you navigate to the directory you need to open without
    having to wait for many many seconds after double-clicking the "desktop "This PC" icon. That's a good work-around for those in need of managing files and moving photos around, but Microsoft really needs to fix this problem and quit letting non-MS people give
    "fixes"that don't fix anything.

Ironic that I just got pushed a survey that asked if I would recommend Win10 to my friends - I told them I'd only recommend it to my enemies...

ltorg, Oct 15, 2015
  4. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

for a minute nothing happens then all the file explorer click bring up a window.

nickninety, Oct 18, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
Thema:

File Explorer slow to open or will not open

1. File Explorer slow to open or will not open - Similar Threads - File Explorer slow

2. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  3. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  4. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer slow to open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer slow to open: I have Windows 10 and File Explorer is slow to open. It takes over a minute to open. Once it opens it runs fine. I'm not sure why it is so slow to open and not sure what to check....
  6. File Explorer slow to open file directories and some files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer slow to open file directories and some files: Hello, My Asus Zenbook is relatively new, with very few files on it, and my file explorer is slow to open my files or One Drive files using the explore.exe command on the task bar or when I create a shortcut. I've tried some other options recommended in similar forums, but...
  7. "open with" and opening of files slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    "open with" and opening of files slow: I have a problem were files associated for example with Word or Acrobat reader are slow to open. It seems Windows is confused which app to choose and takes long. If I reopen the same file it will open instantly or open another file with the app already open Also the "Open...
  8. File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts: Recently a change occured (after an update?). I have a folder containing only 6 shortcuts, linking to devices or to drives, connected to devices, in my home network. Opening this folder takes about 30 sec. It has to do with those shortcuts that link to drives, connected to...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow: This was few months ago, don't mind the text in the video, this was from another issue. 2017 02 03 15 44 16 1 - YouTube And this is now: 2017 04 23 10 00 04 - YouTube You definitely can see the difference, the os is installed on a 250gb Samsung SSD. Sometimes I don't...
  10. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders: Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder. Not a big deal but annoying. Can anyone help me please? 103092