Windows 10: File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption

Discus and support File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had an unexpected and frightening error with file explorer in Windows 10 Pro. I have a Western Digital My Book Duo for saving backups and found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Manotee, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Manotee Win User

File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption

I had an unexpected and frightening error with file explorer in Windows 10 Pro.

I have a Western Digital My Book Duo for saving backups and found it was formatted Raid 0 instead of mirroring. I started the process to convert it to mirroring, but first had to backup the prior backup data as changing to mirroring will format the drive.

I plugged in a 1TB Passport to use for backup. I created a folder to copy all the Duo files and did a file explorer copy. I got a bunch of copy messages about folder names and files names too long to backup. I decided I needed to delete the copies on the Passport, and then copy each folder from the Duo to the Passport. This way I could determine what files/folders were giving me the problem.

I selected all the folders in my copy folder and requested delete. File explorer seemed to get confused and locked up for a wile. When it started responding, I got and error about the recycle bin and was asked if I wanted to just delete the folders. I replied yes and it seemed to work. I then copied the WD drive applications from the Duo to the Passport.

When I started to copy the backup files it got scary. I looked at file explorer and now my Duo D drive appeared as a Passport drive, as did my original Passport F drive. I looked at each using file explorer and they were almost identical. It was as if file explorer had copied the file directory from the Passport to the Duo.

I unplugged both drives and did a restart, just is case file explorer was confused. After the restart I plugged both drives back into their USB ports and file explorer still showed both as Passport drives.

Realizing I had lost all my backup data, I reformatted my Duo to mirror and copied the WD apps back to it, then created a new backup on the Duo and backed up my system.

I lost a couple of point in time backups which I probably won't need, but now I am worried about file explorer.
    I am thinking of going through a system rebuild. I have my 10 Pro system current though Windows Update.
    I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with file explorer?

:)

Manotee, Jul 7, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Space Hog

I suspect that a large part of that used space is the Windows.old folder that was created when you upgraded to Windows 10.

In File Explorer, right-click on C:, choose Properties and in the General Tab click on Disk Clean up.

Choose the System Files option.

See if that helps

Gordon B-P, Jul 7, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption

1. File Explorer Suspected Disk Corruption - Similar Threads - File Explorer Suspected

2. Corrupted file freezing File Explorer and causing disk 100% Active Time.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted file freezing File Explorer and causing disk 100% Active Time.: Greetings,I have recently recorded a desktop video using video recording software "OBS", which after exporting seems to be corrupted. The file is in .mkv format, it has no thumbnail in the File Explorer and whenever I select it or right-click it the Explorer freezes up....
  3. Corrupted file freezing File Explorer and causing disk 100% Active Time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted file freezing File Explorer and causing disk 100% Active Time.: Greetings,I have recently recorded a desktop video using video recording software "OBS", which after exporting seems to be corrupted. The file is in .mkv format, it has no thumbnail in the File Explorer and whenever I select it or right-click it the Explorer freezes up....
  4. Corrupted file freezing File Explorer and causing disk 100% Active Time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Corrupt files and File Explorer is not responding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Corrupt files and File Explorer is not responding: Hello, I have tried opening a Word Document and it caused the File Explorer to not respond. I ran an SFC scan and was told the problem were corrupt files. So, I ran a DSMI scan and it apparently fixed it. However, File Explorer still stops responding when I try opening up a...
  6. Disk Check Corrupted Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Check Corrupted Files: I need help, I was doing a disk check on my laptop Asus X453S and suddenly my laptop shutdown, and started the disk check again, but it restarted again, the third time it happened i canceled the disk check because im afraid of corruption of the files, but because of that, i...
  7. suspected corrupt file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    suspected corrupt file: how do i check for a corrupt file on my dell computer using windows 10 system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/suspected-corrupt-file/1b31610b-0c40-4221-9f25-f02e5bc2c6ad
  8. Corrupted File Explorer Display

Corrupted File Explorer Display: I checked as best I could in "Community" for an answer to this and, while there were other issues of corrupted display, none of them addressed this specific problem. Can someone please tell me why my File Explorer display looks like this and how I can fix it? It's really...
  9. File Explorer is corrupt and freezes

File Explorer is corrupt and freezes: I currently use a laptop with windows 10 on it and my file explorer wont work. I'm unable to download anything off the internet and whenever i go to check my download folder, if i scroll down past a certain part in it, it freezes and doesn't respond. When i then close the...
  10. Suspected Corruption

Suspected Corruption: [ATTACH] So got this, and now Chrome won't open, uninstall or operate. I have restarted my computer 3 times, what is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/suspected-corruption/8607ff89-23d3-47b9-a4f8-097573faff18"