Windows 10: File Explorer - takes forever to open

Discus and support File Explorer - takes forever to open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nithig, May 12, 2018.

1. nithig Win User

File Explorer - takes forever to open

File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years).
    Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must).

Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event?
    Or better still does anyone have a solution?

:)

nithig, May 12, 2018
  2. JojoYoder Win User

file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Bronis,

I had the same issue and found this solution on another website:

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality
    to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

JojoYoder, May 30, 2018
  3. file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Hello,

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

The issue you are facing may be due to the system file is corrupt. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below method.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the issue?
    • Have you tried clearing your temp files form the system?
    • Do you have enough free space in your C: drive?
    For now, I suggest that you run the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

When explorer run slow, open Task Manager and check if there are any services or startup that might be has high memory or CPU usage.

Method 2:

Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.
    Hope this helps, let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 30, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer - takes forever to open

1. File Explorer - takes forever to open - Similar Threads - File Explorer takes

2. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  3. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  4. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explorer taking forever to open/close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer taking forever to open/close: Whenever I have a game open my file explorer and task manager take ages to load. When I close it, it goes back to normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-taking-forever-to-openclose/4ea0c062-5983-4ae8-b4db-a84ff5f99854
  6. File explorer taking forever to open/close

File explorer taking forever to open/close: Whenever I have a game open my file explorer and task manager take ages to load. When I close it, it goes back to normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-taking-forever-to-openclose/4ea0c062-5983-4ae8-b4db-a84ff5f99854
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load

Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load: Ever since I updated to Windows 11, file explorer takes FOREVER to load and when it does right click doesn't work at all inside of it. Everything else in Windows 11 is completely fine except the file explorer. Any suggestions?...
  8. file explorer Take forever to load

file explorer Take forever to load: Hi! It is a little bit difficult to explain my problem but I will try my best. When I try to open any folder on my Desktop it takes almost 2 minutes to do so, but when I got that open I can search and "drive" around with no lag or something like this, If I go to word for...
  9. File Explorer takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer takes forever to open: Idk if it's something I've done, but right after updating Windows today the File Explorer takes 20-30s to open when I click it on the taskbar. However if I click a folder on the Desktop it opens immediately. Anyone else having the same problem or knows how to solve it?...
  10. Is it normal for File Explorer to take forever to pause?

Is it normal for File Explorer to take forever to pause?: I'm backing up files from an unstable hard drive. At some point, the file explorer decided it would take more than a day to transfer a single file, so I decided, why not pause it and then unpause to see if it goes faster? Well, it's been pausing for hours now. So I'm worse...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer takes forever to open

2. windows explorer taking forever

3. file explorer taking forever

4. file explorer takes forever to start,
  5. file explorer takes forever to open