File Explorer - takes forever to open

Discus and support File Explorer - takes forever to open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nithig, May 12, 2018.

1. nithig Win User

File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years).
    Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must).

Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event?
    Or better still does anyone have a solution?

:)

nithig, May 12, 2018
  2. JojoYoder Win User

file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Bronis,

I had the same issue and found this solution on another website:

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality
    to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

JojoYoder, May 30, 2018
  3. Rakesh Narayanaswamy Win User
    file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Hello,

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

The issue you are facing may be due to the system file is corrupt. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below method.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the issue?
    • Have you tried clearing your temp files form the system?
    • Do you have enough free space in your C: drive?
    For now, I suggest that you run the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

When explorer run slow, open Task Manager and check if there are any services or startup that might be has high memory or CPU usage.

Method 2:

Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.
    Hope this helps, let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 30, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - takes forever to open - Similar Threads - File Explorer takes

2. Can`t install any .msi file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can`t install any .msi file: Can`t install any .msi file. Shows this message: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cant-install-any-msi-file/6635c606-200c-48c1-889c-5733f08becc9
  3. File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Refuses to Open on My PC: File Explorer will refuse to open on my PC. when I double click on the icon in my taskbar and start menu, the screen will go black for a second (excluding taskbar) and nothing else will happen....
  4. Backup files without using single file image or keeping older copies?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files without using single file image or keeping older copies?: I want to be able to backup files and folders onto an external drive without them being combined into some sort of Windows image file, like Backup and Restore Windows 7 feature does. The File History backup does what I want, but I don't want to keep previous versions of...
  5. Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.: This is an issue I just discovered. I have a folder on my desktop that is 10.8GB. It has many files and folders inside of it. When I hover my mouse over it, it shows the correct total size of the contents of the folder i.e. 10.8GB. However, if I right click the folder and go...
  6. No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices: Since the recent update I can no longer see folders/files on external drives from other devices on my homegroup. Specifically, I have two external drives containing movie/video files which I can no longer access. I can access files on my hard drive. Any suggestions?...
  7. My laptop won't open(??)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop won't open(??): Earlier today, my computer wouldn't open and it would always go into a troubleshoot menu, after a while, I fixed it. Once it opened, I reseted my PC. It has now been at least 3 hours since then, I think my PC was reset But now, my computer won't open (Or at least it's trying...
  8. Remote Desktop App File Copy Issue

Remote Desktop App File Copy Issue: Help, I have downloaded the new client on my mac mini desktop with High Sierra fully patched. I can connect to servers and share files between the systems with no problem. When I try to connect to a Win10 machine I can copy files and folders up to the Win10 system. I can...
  9. How to share public dropbox file

How to share public dropbox file: How do I find the link to a public file in dropbox so I can share the file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/how-to-share-public-dropbox-file/8c08521c-4a8c-4f0f-8fd9-992c34c189c1
  10. Microsoft Apps Not Opening

Microsoft Apps Not Opening: None of the windows default apps are opening on my laptop ..... like movies ,photos ,camera, windows media player etc. Even the movies cannot be opened through other softwares such as VLC or even if they can be opened the sound isnt there ..... the microsoft word files cannot...