Windows 10: File Explorer - takes forever to open

Discus and support File Explorer - takes forever to open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nithig, May 12, 2018.

1. nithig Win User

File Explorer - takes forever to open

File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years).
    Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must).

Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event?
    Or better still does anyone have a solution?

:)

nithig, May 12, 2018
  2. JojoYoder Win User

file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Bronis,

I had the same issue and found this solution on another website:

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality
    to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

JojoYoder, May 30, 2018
  3. Rakesh Narayanaswamy Win User
    file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Hello,

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

The issue you are facing may be due to the system file is corrupt. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below method.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the issue?
    • Have you tried clearing your temp files form the system?
    • Do you have enough free space in your C: drive?
    For now, I suggest that you run the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

When explorer run slow, open Task Manager and check if there are any services or startup that might be has high memory or CPU usage.

Method 2:

Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.
    Hope this helps, let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 30, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer - takes forever to open

1. File Explorer - takes forever to open - Similar Threads - File Explorer takes

2. [1803] Takes forever to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [1803] Takes forever to shutdown: I'm always having a problem when shutting down my laptop. IT always took forever to shutdown, sometimes I leave my laptop for already more than 20 mins. and still doesn't shutdown. After searching from the internet, I came to the Event Viewer and I see lots of Warnings and...
  3. out of browser web links take forever to open

in Browsers and Email
    out of browser web links take forever to open: I am building a system for my cousin, Bard new system, all virgin parts and a brand new installation of Windows 10. Everything is running just fine, EXCEPT one problem! When i click on any links which are in other programs besides the web browsers they seem to take up to...
  4. Link via Discord/Steam takes forever to open.

in Browsers and Email
    Link via Discord/Steam takes forever to open.: Hey Tenforum community, I am having trouble opening links that get send to me via discord/steam. Normally it instantly open in Chrome. But now it takes ~30 sec to open a link in chrome when I click on it. If I copy the link manually and paste it in url bar it open...
  5. One of my HHD is taking forever to load under File Explorer..

One of my HHD is taking forever to load under File Explorer..: Hi everyone.. Like i said in my title.. one of my HHD D: is taking forever to load under File Explorer (Windows) ... like my drive C: (raid) is loading instantly to see the folders.. same for F:.. but for this HDD D: its taking id say at least 30 seconds.. its a non...
  6. File explorer takes ~5 seconds to open from taskbar

File explorer takes ~5 seconds to open from taskbar: Problem is in the title. File explorer takes 4-5 seconds to open from the taskbar, but opens in about 1 second when I search it in Windows Search. Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 720s 15". All other processes work correctly. Any ideas on this? 108748
  7. Startup takes forever.

Startup takes forever.: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then my PC (HP Envy i7) takes approximately 5 hours to boot. This really is frustrating. Please assist in resolving this issue. 37156
  8. Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything!

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloads Folder takes forever to open - tried everything!: Hallo,My downloads folder takes forever to open, sometimes minutes before it has loaded every item.It is a common problem, and I've googled for answers but none of them seem to help. I've tried to right click on properties, and under customize set to general items, didn't...
  9. Updates taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472
  10. Update Takes Forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Takes Forever: This is more of a curiosity question, but why does it take hours to update from one build to the next? I'm going from 10041 to 10049 and it's been running for about two-and-a-half hours now. It's currently at 20%. Seems like the update to 10041 took a long time as well,...