Windows 10: File Explorer: "This PC" Documents folder link corrupt

Discus and support File Explorer: "This PC" Documents folder link corrupt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to move my Documents folder to another partition, but stupidly specified E:\ instead of E:\Documents. I moved it back to the default location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveX, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SteveX Win User

File Explorer: "This PC" Documents folder link corrupt

I tried to move my Documents folder to another partition, but stupidly specified E:\ instead of E:\Documents. I moved it back to the default location and fixed the Quick Access link but can't fix the folder link in "This PC".

The icon is E:\ instead of Documents, and it points to the E:\ folder.

How can I fix this? I assume I need the correct registry entries. I tried the tutorial to remove/restore the folder, but the hacks only hide or show the folder in "This PC". I don't want to remove/hide it anyway.

Thanks.

:)

SteveX, Dec 14, 2015

2. Document folder won't open from task bar

Using Microsoft 10...... I have a "file explorer" (file folder icon) on my task bar (old quick launch bar). I have my "documents" folder pinned in there (Quick Access). When I click on it, it won't open. Nothing happens. I unpinned and re-pinned it
    and still the same. To access the documents folder I must go to "This PC" and select the document folder from there.

CarolineGW, Dec 14, 2015
  3. 'My Documents' or 'Documents'

The actual folder's name is "Documents". The name "My Documents" is a symbolic link created for legacy applications. It points to the folder "Documents". You can safely ignore it. There is only one copy of your files on your PC.

Frederik Long, Dec 14, 2015
  4. SteveX Win User

On further investigation the problem is actually that the property type of the "folder" has been changed from a System Folder to a Local Disk.

Yes, I know I should have taken a backup, but in my defence I am working on what was my daughter's boyfriend's laptop and I just assumed System Restore had been activated (perhaps the upgrade to Windows 10 disabled it). Also, I did create a recovery drive but have only just discovered using it would delete installed programs and would probably return the laptop to factory state (Win 7) because there is an OEM recovery partition.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Please!

SteveX, Dec 14, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 15, 2015
  6. SteveX Win User
    Thanks Brink, that worked a treat! Many people must make the same mistake; I just assumed that the Documents folder would be created automatically in E:\. You live and learn!

SteveX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer: "This PC" Documents folder link corrupt - Similar Threads - File Explorer Documents

2. The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...: Hi,I uninstalled OneDrive. The old file path for "documents" was C:\Users\beach\OneDrive\Documents but I want it to be C:\Users\beach\Documents now.Only problem is the 'location' tab under properties has disappeared, so I don't know how to move it:I tried updating the...
  3. The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...: Hi,I uninstalled OneDrive. The old file path for "documents" was C:\Users\beach\OneDrive\Documents but I want it to be C:\Users\beach\Documents now.Only problem is the 'location' tab under properties has disappeared, so I don't know how to move it:I tried updating the...
  4. Whenever I click on the folder "This PC" or folders located in "Documents" File Explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I click on the folder "This PC" or folders located in "Documents" File Explorer...: As the title says. When it freezes, all I can do is restart explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whenever-i-click-on-the-folder-this-pc-or-folders/a2342f7d-2993-44db-805b-23e4d00809d4
  5. Whenever I click on the folder "This PC" or folders located in "Documents" File Explorer...

Whenever I click on the folder "This PC" or folders located in "Documents" File Explorer...: As the title says. When it freezes, all I can do is restart explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whenever-i-click-on-the-folder-this-pc-or-folders/a2342f7d-2993-44db-805b-23e4d00809d4
  6. Documents folder has become corrupted

Documents folder has become corrupted: Hello, I haven't been able to access my documents folder, and will get a response that it is corrupted and unreadable. I've run DISM and the System File Checker, none report any corrupted files or repairs....
  7. Corrupt documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupt documents folder: I turned on file history. I must have chosen the Documents folder as the network location... This Documents folder was 48 GB.Now it's 816 GB. : 1TB HD space is nil. Should I create a new user to fix it? Or run restore, and re-install all my Programs? Is there a different...
  8. Documents in File Explorer

Documents in File Explorer: I am using Google Chrome for Windows, and when I try to open up the Documents in File Explorer, the titles come up but the documents will not open. I do writing and save my documents so that I can post my fan fiction online. Now, I cannot open the documents. Any help on this...
  9. Unable to delete files or folders in my Documents folder using File Explorer on a Windows 10 PC

Unable to delete files or folders in my Documents folder using File Explorer on a Windows 10 PC: All of I sudden when I select a file or folder in my Documents folder using File Explorer on my Windows 10 PC with Office 365 Home (which just received updates on Tuesday March 12) and click on the red "Delete" X or right click and then left-click on "Delete" in the small...
  10. Documents Folder on This PC - File Explorer

Documents Folder on This PC - File Explorer: Hi, For some reason since refreshing my Windows 10 installation, the Documents folder under This PC now points to the Documents folder on my One Drive. It always used to point to the documents folder in my users/(username) directory on my hard drive, and since this is the...