Windows 10: File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files

Discus and support File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there If you have Loads (and I mean Loads) of small files - e-books, excel data. word docs, emails etc etc then File explorer runs REALLY slow on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files

Hi there

If you have Loads (and I mean Loads) of small files - e-books, excel data. word docs, emails etc etc then File explorer runs REALLY slow on even fast devices

I gave up moving this lot after about 4 hours. (W10 machine).

Switched to Linux system -- did it in 45 mins similar hardware to W10 machine - both Real machines --not VM's and direct transfer (not via LAN).

What gives !!!!!

I know it's only a 1 time move but similar hardware with identical HDD should not have a HUGE difference in the move --note in fact Linux actually has hard a harder job since the file system was NTFS which isn't a native Linux file system either. Source system external HDD on USB 3 device,, target systm larger HDD device on USB3 device -- no hubs - USB 3 transfer working OK on both W10 and Linux so reasonable comparison.

IMO the NTFS file system has serious problems if you start messing around with this type of data. !!!! Perhaps Ms need to look at a better file system for Mass storage devices. 5 and 6 TB HDD's are quite common now even for consumer sector and not expensive either.

I know this is an exceptional job but it does show that something in File explorer isn't very efficient once you start manipulating large volumes of data - especially in small files. (Approx 290 TB of data consisting of 128,000 files in 55,000 odd directories)

File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files [​IMG]

I'm usually quite happy with Windows - but there is definitely a problem here. Fortunately it was a 1 off job though !!!!.

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2016
  2. samsongm Win User

windows 10 file deletion is extremely slow

I am using windows 10 Enterprise fully updated with all Service packs.

When I delete / move or copy files it is very slow, even deleting 1 small txt file brings up the deletion progressbar and gives me a status.

Copying / moving to is very slow. copying like 5 files from one dir to another (even on the same SSD or HD) is slow

Any idea how to fix this ?

samsongm, May 28, 2016
  3. hwraleigh Win User
    New and Disruptive Files Icon Behavior

Please see

Elephant size drag and drop 'icon'/image

Windows 10 - Very large icon when copying or moving files in File Explorer......

I'm not the only person with this problem.

hwraleigh, May 28, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

In my quest to find out what my network transfer speeds were with a program called iPerf3 I found several posts on Stack Exchange that came to the same conclusion as you, In most cases there was literally a x2 increase in speed using Linux.

I transfer quite a few VM's once or twice a month and I find that it is faster to zip the whole 15 to 25 Gig folder and then transfer it.

sml156, May 28, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I've found that using USB 3.0 devices is faster than USB 2.0 as it should be but the key is in having USB 3.0 ports, cables and drives. To that end I've added USB 3.0 Add-in PCIe X1 cards with 4 ports on it and for convenience a USB 3.0 Hub in the front of the case that takes power from the computer's power supply, not from the USB ports. Amazing what investing about $50 can help.

Berton, May 28, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I decided for this type of stuff In future to use a dedicated USB3 external 2 bay mains powered enclosure with (optionally switchable) RAID 0 / 1 for the HDD's. Using RAID 0 on a USB 3 enclosure might be considered "Bonkers" by some but it speeded up the job no end. The RAID card is internal in the USB enclosure (can disable if I want to use the HDD's as separate HDD's --easier to have one logical HDD !!! I wasn't worried about data integrity with the RAID 0 - just wanted fastest possible transfer speed.

On Windows the RAID 0 also speeded up transfer but was a real Slouch compared to Linux.

Decided to use XFS (Linux) file system and use the Linux machine for this type of transfer in future.

Windows NTFS needs a beef up certainly for large volumes of data transfer.

I suppose that's why Linux still rules for large servers out in the commercial world. Don't get me wrong I LIKE windows too -- but seems for some jobs it's just not man enough for the task in hand.

BTW type in my original post --Data transfer amount of course approx 290 GB -- not 290 TB !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files - Similar Threads - File explorer Very

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  4. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  5. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  6. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  7. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  9. Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow: Hello, I work with XML files which can be as large as 800 MB, sometimes larger. When I rename or move such a file on a M.2 SSD, 4GHz 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM windows explorer seems stuck and is unusable. I have enough time to switch to another window and do something else...
  10. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...