Windows 10: File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

Discus and support File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I believe this question has been asked before, so please forgive me for this indulgence. I just migrated with Win 10, a clean install not an upgrade.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jhumur, Sep 18, 2015.

1. jhumur Win User

File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

I believe this question has been asked before, so please forgive me for this indulgence. I just migrated with Win 10, a clean install not an upgrade. Every time I open the file explorer, it opens to a location slightly down and to the right. Over a few cycles, the same widow which initially opened in the middle of the desktop has moved all the way to the lower right of the screen. It's driving me nuts. I tried the ShellFolderFix fix, but that too comes with its own annoyances, such as the file explorer jumping to a different location when switching from one folder to another, because it remembers the location of each folder view. Hoping someone has found a solution, or do I wait until MS has addressed this issue in one of their updates?

:)

jhumur, Sep 18, 2015
  2. JaK97 Win User

Windows 10 Doesn't Save Window Position

Hello.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and after that i have a problem. Windows 10 Doesn't Save Window Position on the desktop.

Everytime i open File Explorer or any folder shortcut, desktop position of the explorer not remember the position on the screen and will open on another position on the screen.

Problem still appear even after a clean install.

Where could be the problem? Previously in Windows 7 this problem not exist.

JaK97, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Explorer and Recycle Bin windows don't remember position

Explorer and Recycle Bin windows don't remember position after opening and closing a number of times on desktop ,with each opening , they slide to the right buttom corner and just can't remember the position you drag them to,any fix available for this
    ? and anyone else facing this problem ?? This behavior is only with the explorer and recycle bin window, all other windows remember position.

olajideoyewole, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

1. File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position - Similar Threads - File Explorer window

2. reconnecting HDMI doesn't remember my windows positions from before

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reconnecting HDMI doesn't remember my windows positions from before: Hi,I have set up windows to display on my multiple monitor setup and when I re-connect HDMI, I don't see the windows moving to positions from before disconnecting the HDMI. In other words, after disconnecting HDMI they all move to the laptop screen and don't go back to the...
  3. reconnecting HDMI doesn't remember my windows positions from before

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reconnecting HDMI doesn't remember my windows positions from before: Hi,I have set up windows to display on my multiple monitor setup and when I re-connect HDMI, I don't see the windows moving to positions from before disconnecting the HDMI. In other words, after disconnecting HDMI they all move to the laptop screen and don't go back to the...
  4. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  5. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  6. Position of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Position of File Explorer: After reconfiguring my PC with Win 10, twice because of update failures, once completed I've tried to reposition File Explorer on the right side of my screen. I can in fact reposition it, but once I close it and launch it again, it reverts back to the left side of screen,...
  7. File Explorer remembering position of scroll bar in previously seen folder - am I crazy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer remembering position of scroll bar in previously seen folder - am I crazy?: Say you're looking at a folder called "numbers" that has 500 subfolders in it, each with a number as its name. You scroll down so that folder "278" is in the middle of the screen. If you double-click and go into folder 278 to look at what files are there and then click the...
  8. How to have File Explorer remember position on-screen

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to have File Explorer remember position on-screen: I really would like file explorer to stay in the middle of the screen. Constantly having to move it from the upper left corner of the screen is time consuming! Thank you...
  9. Windows not remembering previous positions and leaving gaps between the edge.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not remembering previous positions and leaving gaps between the edge.: [ATTACH] I drag the window (software) to the edge to snap-fill on the left. I close the software. I re-open the software. There is a visible gap between the edge of the screen and the software window. I've tried ShellFolderFix, I've tried right-clicking the window and...
  10. Remember window position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remember window position?: In every version of Windows 10 I have used, including the most recent official build (and unlike every previous Windows including XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc...) my window positions on the desktop are not remembered (sticky) each time I close the window. Meaning that each time I...