Windows 10: File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

Discus and support File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I believe this question has been asked before, so please forgive me for this indulgence. I just migrated with Win 10, a clean install not an upgrade.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jhumur, Sep 18, 2015.

1. jhumur Win User

File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

I believe this question has been asked before, so please forgive me for this indulgence. I just migrated with Win 10, a clean install not an upgrade. Every time I open the file explorer, it opens to a location slightly down and to the right. Over a few cycles, the same widow which initially opened in the middle of the desktop has moved all the way to the lower right of the screen. It's driving me nuts. I tried the ShellFolderFix fix, but that too comes with its own annoyances, such as the file explorer jumping to a different location when switching from one folder to another, because it remembers the location of each folder view. Hoping someone has found a solution, or do I wait until MS has addressed this issue in one of their updates?

:)

jhumur, Sep 18, 2015
  2. JaK97 Win User

Windows 10 Doesn't Save Window Position

Hello.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and after that i have a problem. Windows 10 Doesn't Save Window Position on the desktop.

Everytime i open File Explorer or any folder shortcut, desktop position of the explorer not remember the position on the screen and will open on another position on the screen.

Problem still appear even after a clean install.

Where could be the problem? Previously in Windows 7 this problem not exist.

JaK97, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Explorer and Recycle Bin windows don't remember position

Explorer and Recycle Bin windows don't remember position after opening and closing a number of times on desktop ,with each opening , they slide to the right buttom corner and just can't remember the position you drag them to,any fix available for this
    ? and anyone else facing this problem ?? This behavior is only with the explorer and recycle bin window, all other windows remember position.

olajideoyewole, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

1. File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position - Similar Threads - File Explorer window

2. Windows 10 Skype does not remember position on relaunch on second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Skype does not remember position on relaunch on second monitor: Hello all, I am trying to position my Skype window on the bottom of the second monitor. But whenever I launch the windows and the Skype starts it's position is reset to center of the first monitor. It is driving me crazy, because it is the only application with this problem....
  3. Explorer Navigation Bar Position

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer Navigation Bar Position: The vertical orientation of the Navigation Bar is new. Why, oh why, was it moved from orientated horizontally to vertical? Vertical orientation reduces the width of my home screen. I would like to be able to return the bar back to horizontal which might permit the ability...
  4. windows doesn't remember appearance setting

windows doesn't remember appearance setting: Hello, i am running on Windows 10 PRO 64 bit, on user without admin privilegies. If i change appearance setting to custom, after next restart, it changes to default. I don't have nosave dword in registry to delete. Google found this as only solution. No idea what to do...
  5. Position of File Explorer Details Pane

Position of File Explorer Details Pane: Hi. According to the final entries on this old thread: Possible to display details pane on bottom? - Page 2 - - Windows 10 Forums oldnewexplorer doesn't work after the Windows 10 anniversary update. I've newly upgraded to W10 and am disappointed that there is no longer a...
  6. Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows (File Explorer) not retaining my set size and position?: I've noticed this problem with many of the internal programs such as file explorer, that will open up in an unusable size and position, and even after I adjust those to my preferred settings, they always revert back. Is there a fix for this that will allow me to set the...
  7. Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows doesn't remember "sort by" folder settings: By default there is no "date" option available when right-clicking in a folder and selecting "sort by". When I select "More", then check the date option, and then right-click and select sort by sate (ascending), Windows forgets it as soon as I back out of the window. Next...
  8. Pictures does not hold position in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Pictures does not hold position in file explorer: Recently updated to Windows 10- everything seemed to be working great until I opened the File Explorer, then the Picture Folder, scrolled down about half of a screen and attempted to change the name one of the pictures. Within 15 seconds the pictures jumped back to the...
  9. Remember window position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remember window position?: In every version of Windows 10 I have used, including the most recent official build (and unlike every previous Windows including XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc...) my window positions on the desktop are not remembered (sticky) each time I close the window. Meaning that each time I...
  10. Is It Possible to Reset File Explorer's Window Position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is It Possible to Reset File Explorer's Window Position?: Every time I open File Explorer the window jumps to a new position (possibly a glitch). Is there a way to reset these settings through the registry? 14798