Windows 10: File Explorer window doesn't stay in one spot...

Discus and support File Explorer window doesn't stay in one spot... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I upgraded to Win 10 and so far I like it, but a problem which I find annoying: Whenever I open file explorer the window tends to move from where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Aiku1jas Win User

File Explorer window doesn't stay in one spot...

So I upgraded to Win 10 and so far I like it, but a problem which I find annoying:

Whenever I open file explorer the window tends to move from where I placed it. What I mean is I place the window directly in the center, as I like it. When I open it again, it will be displayed at the very top of the screen. When I close it and open it again it will be displayed at the bottom of the screen on the left. The window seems to change places every time it is opened.

Nothing major, but I am OCD about keeping windows centered and organized haha so is there a way to keep the window in one spot? Is this a bug or is this supposed to happen?

Thanks!!!

:)

Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jul 31, 2015
  3. charlesxa Win User
    screen floating around

my screen won't stand still, have an asus computer with windows 10 and a touchpad and all of a sudden the screen won't stay in one spot, keeps doing whatever it wants........??

charlesxa, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Aiku1jas Win User

Guess I won't get help for this since it is such an odd question/problem.

Figured I would try

Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015
  5. usmc362 Win User
    Dude, I feel your pain. I am so annoyed with having to maximize my windows I'm going back to W8.1. All these freaking builds and Micro$haft can't make it right like it IS in W7 & 8.1.

usmc362, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Aiku1jas Win User
    Yeah I hear you. At least I am not the only one annoyed by this. I hope this is a bug and not something intended by Microsoft.

Or better yet, hopefully there is some sort of solution.

Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Aiku1jas Win User

Thank you Brink and thanks for your reply.

I tried both options 1 and 2 and unfortunately, that did not solve my problem. *Sad

I noticed every time I open explorer the window moves down a slight inch. Once the window reaches the bottom of my screen after opening and closing it multiple times, it will go to the very top of my screen. Weird.

I wish there was a solution. I doubt this issue will ever be addressed officially by Microsoft.

Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    It has something to do with cascading windows when many are opened in short succession, so they don't hide on top of each other.

File Explorer window doesn't stay in one spot... [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Aiku1jas Win User
    Right, that is the problem... But I only open the window once. I close it. And open it again and it moves down, as if I have multiple windows explorers opened. Which I don't. So it should remain in the location I tell it. But nope. Annoying.

Aiku1jas, Jul 31, 2015
  11. So, I made an account here just to reply and say, I am also experiencing this, and find it incredibly frustrating..

One of the first things I do when I install a fresh OS is get all the windows where I want them, and this, moving every time I close it, is bothering me so much.. I really hope they fix it soon.

Acurapassion, Aug 1, 2015
  12. I also experience this problem. Most annoying. It makes no sense to cascade windows that have been closed.

One program I find helpful is Sizer. It allows you to specify where, and what size, windows you want to use and also a keystroke sequence for each Window you define. I use it for File Explorer and browser windows.

So, when a file Explorer window opens in the wrong place I can just hit Alt-X to move it back where I want it.

It is simply a workaround I use to minimize annoyance.

I agree it would be far better if Microsoft stopped ignoring problems like this (and others I have up-voted on MS forums) and actually fixed them properly.

The Doctor, Aug 7, 2015
  13. raneu Win User

I have been in the insider program and had this issue all along, but it really irritates me that when someone complains about it, inevitably someone will post making out like its no big deal, or have some things to try to fix it, or say they don't have the problem and the thread goes bad from there. I have used computers since dos days and know how things work, and have worked, and this it a problem for lots of people like myself that want windows to open where they put them instead of having to move them every time. I have even seen it suggested that you should just minimize instead of closing and everything will be ok.

The people that don't care should stay out of the conversation, because as much time as I and others spend working and playing on computers, this is a real problem and should be an easy fix for Microsoft if we could just agree that it isn't right...

raneu, Aug 7, 2015
  14. Banzi Win User
    Moving the taskbar to the top of the screen resolved the issue for me, now explorer windows open in the centre of the screen.

Banzi, Aug 7, 2015
  15. GreyWasMyFriend, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. File Explorer window doesn't stay in one spot... - Similar Threads - File Explorer window

2. nvidia drivers installing stays in one spot then screen turns black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    nvidia drivers installing stays in one spot then screen turns black: the current issue is error code 43 when i go to display drivers and i’m trying to fix that issue by downloading drivers, but then download stays in one spot, then my whole screen turns black but my pc stays on. i just installed my 3060ti after i changed my power supply.b...
  3. nvidia drivers installing stays in one spot then screen turns black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvidia drivers installing stays in one spot then screen turns black: the current issue is error code 43 when i go to display drivers and i’m trying to fix that issue by downloading drivers, but then download stays in one spot, then my whole screen turns black but my pc stays on. i just installed my 3060ti after i changed my power supply.b...
  4. nvidia drivers installing stays in one spot then screen turns black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse glitching in one spot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse glitching in one spot: My desktop was fine two days ago but literally yesterday while i was watching youtube the mouse suddenly went on the top left of my screen and stayed there. Whenever i tried moving the cursor it would always go back to the same spot. The only time it would act normally is on...
  6. Mouse glitching in one spot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse glitching in one spot: My desktop was fine two days ago but literally yesterday while i was watching youtube the mouse suddenly went on the top left of my screen and stayed there. Whenever i tried moving the cursor it would always go back to the same spot. The only time it would act normally is on...
  7. Mouse glitching in one spot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. File explorer window doesn't stay with pinned taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer window doesn't stay with pinned taskbar icon: I'm not sure if anyone is having issues with this or if there's another thread about it... When I click the pinned taskbar icon for the File Explorer, it opens a File Explorer window but not on the actual pinned icon. The window will be on the far right of the taskbar, as if...
  9. cropping doesn't stay in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cropping doesn't stay in File Explorer: Hi. I have tried several ways, and the usual ways to crop pics but it won't stay when I save the crop. Does anyone have any solutions for me to try? thank you....
  10. Why Doesn't File Explorer Etc Stay In Place?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Doesn't File Explorer Etc Stay In Place?: I always like to have my Windows positioned in a certain way on my desktop, and even though some programs remain, a lot don't (i.e. 'This PC' & 'Documents' folder) never stay in the same place. It's always random when opened. Not a major issue I know. But annoying all the...