Windows 10: File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Discus and support File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I started to use my computer how I normally would and a frequent thing that I do is go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cintreprid, Aug 10, 2016.

1. File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Hi,

I just downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I started to use my computer how I normally would and a frequent thing that I do is go through my downloads and search for content within word documents. I tried to do that now and it won't search for contents within the word docs which puts me at a huge disadvantage. The search for contents button is selected in file explorer so I'm unsure as to what the problem is. Please help

Thanks

:)

cintreprid, Aug 10, 2016
  2. Tim490 Win User

searching windows explorer 10 file contents for exact phrase

Previous to Windows 10 I was able to search the contents of all files in a folder for a specific phrase by hitting control F, choosing the option to search for a phrase, and simply typing the phrase into the search box.

In Windows 10 I have discovered how to search the content of the files (instead of just the file names) by starting my search with content:

However, if what I am searching for is a phrase instead of just a single word it finds all files with any of the words in the phrase instead of the entire phrase intact. I have tried adding quotes and it does not make a difference.

For example, say I want to search for the phrase "windows explorer help"

If I search for content: windows explorer help or content: "windows explorer help" it will return all files that contain any of the words windows, explorer, or help.

Does anybody know how I can search the contents of the files in a folder for an entire intact phrase as I was able to in previous versions?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Tim490, Aug 10, 2016
  3. chasw98 Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer search options

When I search for a file the results shows files that match my search criteria but also files where the characters within the content of a file matches the search criteria.

I want the results to show only FILE NAMES that match the search criteria.

I do not want file names listed where the content is match.

The File Explorer Search Option tab last box UNCHECKED setting that I thought would control the search has no effect.

Where is the Windows 10 File Explorer search option to NOT include (or exclude) searching the content of a file?

File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary [​IMG]

chasw98, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Hi, have you checked the files are actually selected in Indexing Options? I.e. the folders containing them are indexed?

This is the clue:

• If you're still unable to search file contents, try:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Right-click the folder you want to search, e.g. My Documents
    • Click: Properties
    • On the General tab, Click: Advanced
    • On the Advanced Attributes dialog, select:

[x] Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties
    • Click: OK
    • Click: OK

Personally I avoid explorer search as far as possible, and use
    Locate32
    Utrasearch does the same job, with a modern GUI, better than Everything.
    However, these don't index content.
    Locate32 adds a file content search for some types.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I have just worked through a solution for this to do with ifilters if still interested, having worked out what seems to be happening.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

1. File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary - Similar Threads - File Explorer won't

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Cortana
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working: I frequently need to import a folder hierarchy into Windows 10 then do a content search on the files in it.I then place the top level folder within File Explorer Indexing Options Included locations.The files within the top level folder all respond to a content search but none...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working: I frequently need to import a folder hierarchy into Windows 10 then do a content search on the files in it.I then place the top level folder within File Explorer Indexing Options Included locations.The files within the top level folder all respond to a content search but none...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows Explorer - search file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer - search file contents?: I hate to point out something Mac does better, but... when I do a regular system search for a string, like "Events data updates every 2 mintues.\nSeconds since last" OS X will pull up every file with that exact string in its contents. When I try to search something like that...
  9. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  10. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer wont search

2. computer wont search file explorer