Windows 10: File Explorer

Discus and support File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an issue relating to File Explorer. I have 3 internal HDDs, namely C, D and E drives. They all appear correctly under 'ThisPC', however the E... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Jezzer56 Win User

File Explorer

I have an issue relating to File Explorer. I have 3 internal HDDs, namely C, D and E drives. They all appear correctly under 'ThisPC', however the E drive doesn't show outside of this, as the C and D drives do (see various images). Is there a way to have the E drive displayed when 'ThisPC' is collapsed? In all other respects there are no issues with accessing any drives.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Ver. 1511
    Build. 10586.164

:)

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Win 10 - File Explorer Crashes

Hello MSFT Support,

Where have you gone?...this is a major issue for many loyal customers but as you can tell frustration is setting in with many in the lack of direction from Microsoft. I feel like we are trying various home remedies when the problem is with Microsoft File
    Explorer which we rely on being stable and available.

Having us go to SafeMode is not a solution, also you could create more problems for customers in that BitLocker may come into play, which doesn't appear to be easy way to suspend this in non-Enterprise versions of Win10 before rebooting into SafeMode.

Please give us some direction or when the fix will be implemented?

It would be a real shame if you lose loyal customers to Apple or Google but lack of leadership here may steer many in that direction.

Best Regards!

File Explorer Crash Headaches, Mar 26, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

File Explorer

I'm not sure but I think its that system reserved partition. Did you do a clean install with all the drives plugged in? Its always best to unplug secondary drives to avoid situations like this.

swarfega, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Jezzer56 Win User
    Thanks for your quick reply swarfega. They are all internal HDDs and were connected when I did a clean install the other day. I'm still loading programs, which is why the drives are not far from empty. I assigned the reserved partition a drive letter, but it only showed up under 'ThisPC' and didn't have any effect on the E drive. Subsequently removed the letter assignment.

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Did you try to list it under Quick Access? just right click on it and select "Pin to Quick Access"

AndreTen, Mar 26, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    If its not too much hassle for you, I would be really tempted to redo it with the other drives unplugged. Format and remove all the partitions and do it again. Luckily Windows install is pretty quick these days.

swarfega, Mar 26, 2016
  8. Jezzer56 Win User

File Explorer

AndreTen, I don't normally use Quick Access. In fact I will probably remove the entry when I have my system fully up and running. However, this doesn't explain why the E drive doesn't show along with the C and D.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Jezzer56 Win User
    It's not too much hassle. I've already clean installed 3 times in about 8 days. Just means I can't get on with anything else whilst I'm doing so. I was quite happy until MS pushed out a couple of updates that caused grief and this cycle of re-installs began *Sick.

Would moving the reserved partition to the end of the volume change things (if at all possible) ?

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    At least you have a nice long weekend to do it *Biggrin

The reserved partition is set up during Windows install. It will simply create another one.

You can follow this guide here but remember to remove all the partitions and just select the unallocated one and click next. When you plug the other drives back in, you can use disk manage to remove all the partitions create a new one and then format it.

Remember to back up any files you want to keep!

swarfega, Mar 26, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    What I saw from the Disk Management, You did not do a clean install, you probably did an in place upgrade. The 100MB System Reserved is normally used in Window 7. For a fresh install the Disk partition scheme should be as follows:
    • 500 MB System Reserved partition
    • C- Drive.
    Since you did not have to many apps installed, I would re-install Windows 10 as suggested above. It is better to have your Windows installed on the first sata port (Disk 0) so I suggest to open the case and connect the cable from disk 0 to disk 2 where you have C: drive. Disconnect the other cables for now and do the steps below:
    • Boot up with Windows installation media
    • On the first screen. Press SHIFT + F10 and type
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • Continue with Installation, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not create partition/format. Let Windows create the needed partitions.
    • Once done, reconnect the other cables for drive D and E.
    • Reboot, your Disk 0 should contain 500MB system reserved and C drive.

topgundcp, Mar 26, 2016
  12. swarfega Win User
    Another thing I should mention is that your C: and E: drives are the wrong way round. You should swap the sata data cables around for those two drives.

swarfega, Mar 26, 2016
  13. Jezzer56 Win User

File Explorer

I'll have my lunch first, then make an executive decision as to whether to bite the proverbial bullet. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
  14. swarfega Win User
    np, let me know how it goes and if you have any problems. Enjoy your lunch.

swarfega, Mar 26, 2016
  15. Jezzer56 Win User
    Thanks for your input topgundcp. I don't have any installation media as such, as my upgrade was the freebie (from Win7 Ultimate).

As a thought though, if the C was sited on Disk 0 instead of Disk 2, wouldn't the issue then be that the C drive wouldn't be visible outside of 'ThisPC'?

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer

1. File Explorer - Similar Threads - File Explorer

2. how to turn off a file explorer filter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to turn off a file explorer filter: Windows 10 enterprise22H2I have one folder in file explorer that is filtering by date modified. I can not find a way to get this folder display all dates by default. I have tried unchecking the "select a date or date range" box that opens when you click on the date modified...
  3. how to turn off a file explorer filter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn off a file explorer filter: Windows 10 enterprise22H2I have one folder in file explorer that is filtering by date modified. I can not find a way to get this folder display all dates by default. I have tried unchecking the "select a date or date range" box that opens when you click on the date modified...
  4. how to turn off a file explorer filter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11, File explorer - How do I go back to being able to type multiple letters of a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, File explorer - How do I go back to being able to type multiple letters of a...: I've seen several other closed posts about this but haven't found one with a solution. Yesterday, my PC updated to windows 11 in the middle of my work day despite having active hours set for 'do not restart', and repeatedly having selected the stay on windows 10 option. I...
  6. Windows 11, File explorer - How do I go back to being able to type multiple letters of a...

Windows 11, File explorer - How do I go back to being able to type multiple letters of a...: I've seen several other closed posts about this but haven't found one with a solution. Yesterday, my PC updated to windows 11 in the middle of my work day despite having active hours set for 'do not restart', and repeatedly having selected the stay on windows 10 option. I...
  7. Not able to burn files via file Explorer while I can burn files via window media player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to burn files via file Explorer while I can burn files via window media player: Win10 file explorer always complains needing more space and that amount of space is exactly the total file size I want to burn into DVD disc. But, I can burn the same set of files, media files only, via window media player included in win10....
  8. Not able to burn files via file Explorer while I can burn files via window media player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to burn files via file Explorer while I can burn files via window media player: Win10 file explorer always complains needing more space and that amount of space is exactly the total file size I want to burn into DVD disc. But, I can burn the same set of files, media files only, via window media player included in win10....
  9. Not able to burn files via file Explorer while I can burn files via window media player

10. Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...: Windows 11 file explorer doesn't have explanations of search options. I was trying to find favorited videos and pictures in file explorer and there was no pop up explaining what the search options were or even any way to get search help within windows 11 file explorer. This...