Windows 10: File History Backup Options

Discus and support File History Backup Options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I have a two part question. First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rboppy, May 21, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

File History Backup Options

Hi,

I have a two part question.

First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports that the last backup was on 5/9/2016, about a week after I set it up, and viewing the data seems to support that, nothing dated past May 9. Is there something else I need to do or do I have a problem?

Second, if I select 'Keep my backups' 1 month, does it delete them all after 1 month, or does it just get rid of the older versions of the backups?

Thanks!

Jim

:)

rboppy, May 21, 2016
  2. gwfME Win User

Why is "Last Backup" date a week old when files are set to back up "Daily"?

I am talking about the File History feature. The path and files you refer to do exist on my external drive.

However, when you go to Start / Settings / Update & Security / Backup / more options (under Back up using File History), the next dialog presumably applies to "File History" because the "more options" was under File History. Yet the screen is titled "Backup
    Options".

File History is a form of backup, so what does the information on the "Backup Options" screen apply to? And specifically, there is a "Last Backup: <date>". Does this date refer to the most recent File History copies, or something else? On this same screen,
    there is a "Back up now" control. Does this force a File History to be launched, or some other function?

Windows 10 is VERY confusing on this point. It seems to support the Windows 7 Backup and Restore, but that is an entirely different screen. Are there two native Windows 10 Backup modes (Back up, and File History)? Or just one (File History)?

So, what does the "Last Backup: <date>" mentioned above refer to?

Any information you can offer to dispel my confusion will be greatly appreciated...

gwfME, May 21, 2016
  3. gwfME Win User
    Why is "Last Backup" date a week old when files are set to back up "Daily"?

In reviewing the Task Scheduler information for File History, Task Scheduler reports that File History was "completed successfully" on 1/2/2017 at 9:46:01 am, yet when I go to Settings / Backup / Backup Options that shows the last backup was last done on
    12/30/2016 at 5:41 pm.

So, while I am now fairly certain that the "Last backup" date is not being updated every time a File History is completed, either

- completing File History "successfully" does not necessarily mean that any files were copied, or

- "Last backup" does NOT refer to a File History update (which is not clear on the settings dialogs), or

gwfME, May 21, 2016
Thema:

File History Backup Options

1. File History Backup Options - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  5. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  6. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  8. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  9. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"