Windows 10: File History doesn't even try to backup anything

Discus and support File History doesn't even try to backup anything in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to backup my files using File History onto an external hard drive. The problem is, it claims "Windows is backing up your files for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hellomyselftric, Jun 1, 2016.

1. File History doesn't even try to backup anything

Hello,

I'm trying to backup my files using File History onto an external hard drive. The problem is, it claims "Windows is backing up your files for the first time," but it doesn't copy anything at all!

In the "New" settings panel, when I click "More Options," it always closes without an error message, which I assume is a crash. The one time it actually opened, it just showed "Size of backup: 0 bytes." In the "Old" control panel, clicking "Run Now" just gives me a message that File History is backing up my files, although on the actual hard drive there's absolutely nothing there.

Is there any way to get this to work even half decently or should I just invest in a third party backup application? I'm not sure if File History can even be trusted seeing as it automatically crashes when I open it in the new settings panel.

:)

hellomyselftric, Jun 1, 2016
  2. MesaMark Win User

File History Backup starts but doesn't do anything

My File History completed a backup to my external HD once before, but now it won't. I formatted the ext HD and set it to Autoplay settings for Backup File History. I can open File History, I can click on "Back up now", it says my files are backing up and
    30 seconds later it stops and says your files are not backed up. Re-tried it several times with the same result. I deleted the File History folder so as to start fresh, but no luck with that change either. Suggestions, please and thanks.

MesaMark, Jun 1, 2016
  3. MesaMark Win User
    File History Backup starts but doesn't do anything

More info:

When I open Backup and then click on "More options" , it then takes me to the Backup options page. At the top it shows the size of the Backup and say 0 bytes. Checked Services and Search is running, Volume Shadow Copy is running and File History is running.

MesaMark, Jun 1, 2016
  4. SamRick Win User

File History doesn't even try to backup anything

I too had difficulty getting File History to start. Like you, I found that the Backup settings page kept crashing when specifying a drive to use, and I wondered if it was worthwhile continuing.
    However, persistence paid off, eventually. A few days later, and a few reboots in between (I always shut down at the end of a day), when I revisited this, it started to behave, and backup to an external drive kicked off. I don't know even now what changed meanwhile to sort it out, but something clearly did, and FileHistory has kept going ever since, and I now have over 800Gb of history to dig through, if ever I need it. I'll bet I still won't be able to find what I need, though.
    Be aware, when you sort this, and get it going, that the backup service will work flat-out for a considerable time, building the first backup version of the selected folders. Expect a dip in disk response!
    Good Luck, sorry I couldn't be more helpful, except to offer encouragement.

SamRick, Jun 2, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I don't get it. What New settings panel ? What More Options ?

If you do files backup to an external drive as you said, then when it is finished, the backup files are stored inside folder File History in your external hard drive.
    Have you checked there.
    Perhaps I am missing something ?

File History doesn't even try to backup anything [​IMG]

davidhk, Jun 2, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    This is the screen he is referring to. Clicking on More Options should not crash the PC so there is something not working correctly with his File History configuration.

One explanation as provided by Samrick is that his first file history backup has not yet completed.

philc43, Jun 2, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I do it the old-fashioned way...................

Plug in the ext. hdd > right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by > click either large or small > File History ...............

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History doesn't even try to backup anything

1. File History doesn't even try to backup anything - Similar Threads - File History doesn't

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. Files/backup/File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files/backup/File History: I have an external hard drive for backups and files history, I went to storage and directed the files to its drive, so how do I stop 10 from sending it to onedrive and my external drive? Now that the program files are not on my C drive do I have to reinstall 10 again?...
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"