Windows 10: File history has quit working

Discus and support File history has quit working in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have my File History set for every 12 hours, and keep for 1 month, it has been working since June or July, so I check it once a week to verify that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rboppy, Sep 23, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

File history has quit working

I have my File History set for every 12 hours, and keep for 1 month, it has been working since June or July, so I check it once a week to verify that it's still working. It stopped last week, right after I checked it. All the settings are the same, any ideas?

:)

rboppy, Sep 23, 2016
  2. SUE
    Sue Win User

Using file history

I am using file history for the first time on Windows 10, backing up to an external drive. Does the file history indicate when it is finished? It has been running for quite some time now. Thanks!

3. File History Has Stopped Working

Hello,

This issue might have occurred due to some corrupted system files on your computer. For us to efficiently assist you, could you tell us if there were any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?

Meanwhile, we advise that you run the System Update Readiness tool to resolve
    Windows corruption errors. After running the System Update Readiness tool, we suggest running the
    System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files on your
    computer.

Keep us posted so that we can further help.

Stephanie Sal, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

File History (FH) is prone to problems. My usual fix is :

• Stop FH
    • Delete the FH config files at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • Restart FH and select to use the same backup drive as before

Steve C, Sep 23, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Steve sounds promising, I'll give it a try.

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File history has quit working - Similar Threads - File history has

2. Camera has Quit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera has Quit: The camera on my Lenovo laptop has up and quit. I thought maybe it worked off an on off button like the mic but I cannot find any such thing. This is only 6 months old so I am at a loss. It worked fine until two weeks ago....
  3. Camera has Quit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera has Quit: The camera on my Lenovo laptop has up and quit. I thought maybe it worked off an on off button like the mic but I cannot find any such thing. This is only 6 months old so I am at a loss. It worked fine until two weeks ago....
  4. File History has quit backing up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History has quit backing up: Build 19041.746 The last backup was 1/3/2021, when I click [Back up now] it says "Backing up your data ..." for about 10 seconds, I update to 2004 in November and FH has worked up until 1/3/2021. I've been using Macrium but I would like to FH back, any suggestions? 173319
  5. File History Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Not Working: So on my Windows 10 PC, I turned on File History on a USB Drive. Then I tried turning it off because the File History folder took up a lot of storage USB Drive was meant for small files. I kept on trying but it wouldn't work and gave an error message. Then I tried to delete...
  6. File History not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  7. WLM has quit Working

in Browsers and Email
    WLM has quit Working: WLM has quit working - HELP! I have tried repairing but there was no change. If I reinstall will I lose all my emails and calendar information? Probably? Please help. 34063
  8. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...
  9. Right Click for Photos has quit working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click for Photos has quit working.: Suddenly, when I right click a picture file (best I can tell it's any kind of picture file except RAW files) it doesn't show the Context Menu instead it just throws me to the Desktop. I use the Properties>Details a lot. Anybody know how to fix this? 64131
  10. File Explorer quits working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer quits working: Hi, I have 2 laptops that have recently been restored to factory settings, one was to Windows 8.1 Pro, the other to 7.1. I then upgraded them to Windows 10 via Microsoft. They both seem to work except, once in awhile (at least daily) File Explorer refuses to start and...