Windows 10: file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

Discus and support file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Directories are added spontaneously to the include and exclude list. Some of these directories existed in the past but no longer exist. Adding some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paidilukous, Jul 18, 2018.

1. file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

Directories are added spontaneously to the include and exclude list. Some of these directories existed in the past but no longer exist. Adding some entries generates additional entries while adding others has no effect (that is, the directory is not added).

:)

paidilukous, Jul 18, 2018

2. File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Jul 18, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File History Exclude and Cleanup interaction

I think I’m stuck. I don’t think I can recover the space in File History occupied by the Outlook 2016 files without losing all the other files. So far as I can see, all files already in File History are treated the same, regardless of whether their folders
    have now been put into an Exclude List. So a Cleanup action which deletes Outlook files is going to delete all other files of the same age.

This is what I have done:

I have five user accounts on this PC, of which four have Outlook 2016 installed, and two of those have a lot of email activity and are what have filled up File History.

I put \username\Documents\Outlook Files\ into the Exclude List for the four user accounts which run Outlook. I ran Cleanup in the two Outlook-heavy accounts asking it delete anything over two years old; I chose that time period because I want to keep everything
    (except Outlook) for ever, and I only started this backup system about 14 months ago when I moved to Windows 10.

Cleanup reported that it found nothing old enough to delete and WinDirStat shows the Outlook files are still in File History. The Cleanup text says ‘all other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also
    deleted’ so I had hoped that it would (a) delete old files from folders in the Include List (but it would find none) and (b) delete all files from folders in the Exclude List. However, it seems to have kept anything younger than the specified time, even though
    its folder is now in the Exclude List. I suppose that that is reasonable – you might want to keep old copies of files which you no longer want to backup – but that’s not how I understood what it says.

I closed all user accounts and restarted the PC. No difference.

What to do next?

I could choose the most drastic Cleanup option and delete all versions of files except the latest, but I think that would leave a lot of Outlook files still in File History. And it would defeat the purpose of File History, which is to enable recovery of
    earlier versions of files.

Is there no way to free up the space occupied by all the Outlook files?

I could take my current backup drive offline and buy another big hard drive and start backups and File History on it all over again, without the Outlook files this time. Would I then be able to recover files from the File History on the drive I have taken
    offline?

Any suggestions?

I note that you seem to have to administer File History at the user account level. One of my user accounts has administrator privileges but from within that account I was unable to add folders from other user accounts to the Exclude List.

Seamus O'Connell, Jul 18, 2018
  4. neuroking Win User

file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

1. file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - file history include

2. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History: I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files...
  3. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive: Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list. Now how do I remove excluded folders from my...
  4. Windows Search Service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations

in Cortana
    Windows Search Service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations: I get these messages in event viewer... Windows Search Service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations with the error <30,0x80004005, "file:///H:\[12ec3e10-d9b8-4e36-b244-57424d10a843]\" I'm having trouble with search not finding things, and I figure...
  5. File History Setting Included Files and Folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History Setting Included Files and Folders: It is fairly obvious how one can EXCLUDE Folders and Files from drive C: but: How can I set File History to INCLUDE Folders and Files from another drive built in to my PC e.g. Data (D:)?...
  6. List Windows 10 Password History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List Windows 10 Password History: List Windows 10 Password History with User ID, Password and Date password was put in use along with any history of when it was changed last and by whom. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-windows-10-password-history/9271b94a-ac4f-464f-8119-3780684c1caf
  7. Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc: Hi all, I have selected certain file types / folders and locations in Windows Defender on Windows 10 that were added to the exclusions lists... Previously I could go to Windows Defender and see what files, folders or extensions I had excluded but now they have...
  8. File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?

File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?: Hi I’ve been trying Win 10 File History and am most confused. First I did a Test run and selected just one folder (Test Folder) to be backed up to an external drive. After the backup had been running for about 5 minutes & my Test Folder was only about 2Mbs in size I looked...
  9. Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?

Win10 "File History" - include with Carbonite backup or not?: Hi, all: In addition to local, offline backups/images to USB EHDs, I also use Carbonite, with unlimited storage capacity. And, since I have a 2 TB HDD data drive, I have Win10 File History enabled (a feature new to me in Win10). Carbonite is set to back up all the...
  10. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10: How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up...