Windows 10: File History inflexibility?

Discus and support File History inflexibility? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying File History as a possible replacement for my old but trusty Second Copy backup program. Am I unusual in finding it rather inflexible? In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Terrypin, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

File History inflexibility?

I'm trying File History as a possible replacement for my old but trusty Second Copy backup program.

Am I unusual in finding it rather inflexible? In particular, it doesn't allow me to add any folders to its chosen fixed set. For example, on my SSD C: I have several large folders like C:\Agent, C:\epson and others. Not to mention the 11 GB of C:\ProgramData, which contains important files I may well want to restore sometime. Perhaps also the even larger \Program Files. Yet File History includes only C:\Users\terry.

I'm also unclear how it chose and named that set. Why two 'Videos' for example? And why are some of my subfolders listed as individual entries rather than nested inside their parent folders where I would go looking?

In fact I don't like its restore home screen, which doesn't match the familiar tree in Explorer, Which makes it less easy to restore a specific file or folder. Why that design choice?

File History inflexibility? [​IMG]

It clearly has some strong points, especially for those rare occasions when, rather than recovering a deleted file, I might want an earlier version of it (although I'd expect a high price in terms of disk storage). So to reach a balanced view I'd welcome others' opinions please.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Aug 15, 2016

2. File History Browser- no usable file history browser was found

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the frustration when things doesn’t work well.

I suggest you to Perform System Restore
    and check if it works.

System restore will take your computer to pervious state when it was not facing such problem, this can be done by selecting the proper restore point.

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key + R.

b) Type rstrui.exe and click OK.

c) Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the System restore process.

Disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed after that date are removed.

Please refer the link below for more information.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Note: It also applies for windows 10.

Reference:

Restore from a system restore point

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Create a system restore point

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Aug 15, 2016
  3. henryo303 Win User
    File History - Could not enable File History

Method 1 results: Safe mode with network: As before, it found the drive,

but this time when I clicked the button "Turn on" I got the message: Could

not enable File History; This service cannot be started in Safe Mode.

Method 2 results: I did not do a clean boot because my computer did not

run fine. I still couldn't use the external hard drive in File History.

henryo303, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Terrypin Win User

Solved after help elsewhere. In brief, open the Libraries list, add a new one, then populate that with the additional folders that you want to backup.

Terrypin, Aug 17, 2016
Thema:

1. File History inflexibility? - Similar Threads - File History inflexibility

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. FILE HISTORY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FILE HISTORY: Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen:FILE HISTORY is sending error messages: Reconnect Drive, then File system limitations. The drive was not recognized by file history ,then next the backup would not be made.How is file history turned on, reconnected, and working properly...
  6. FILE HISTORY

FILE HISTORY: FILE HISTORY NOTIFICATIONS OF FILES SKIPPED I CREATED A LIBRARY BUT FILE HISTORY WOULD NOT COPY IT AUTOMATICALLY. I CHANGED IT TO A FOLDER BUT DOES NOT COPY ACCORDING TO THE ERROR MESSAGES OF FILES SKIPPED. IT DOES COPY MANUALLY....
  7. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: for some reason the last update I received i can not back up files at all. Its say my file history is turned off and i never did that.When i go to my control panel and hit file history it does not show Phil 174019
  8. File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history: Hi, Only get this error on older files once I edit the file it will get backup. I get the following error Files that are encrypted with Encrypting File System, on a network location, or on a drive that doesn’t use the NTFS file system can’t be backed up. They were all...
  9. File History

File History: For some unknown reason, I opened my laptop and noticed that I had to manually minimize windows to see others. I tried to see if it was connected to setting in file history and found that file history was turned off and it said no usable file drive found. I don't know if it...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...