Windows 10: File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

Discus and support File History Not Copying All Files and Directories in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Graham_830, Jul 26, 2018.

1. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing subdirectories have names like 2018_06_05, but some have copied over and others haven't. Therefore my file history is incomplete, and therefore pointless as a source of comfort that my files are backed up. Is there a solution to this please? I am thinking to try to reformat the external hard drive then run file history again from scratch to see if it builds the correct directory structure.

:)

Graham_830, Jul 26, 2018

2. Script can copy file directory in one spot but not the other

Haha yeah its fred. sorry its 8am and my mind isnt fully functional yet. There is an error along side the one my script posts: No such file or directory at script line 20.(which is the copy line). I pointed the script to one of the sub directories exactly, still wouldnt copy. I created a new sub dir, and copied some of the files from the main directory into the new directory, those wouldnt copy either.

script:
    Code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use File::Find; use File::Copy; my $directory="..\\..\\doc\\xsd"; find (\&subr, $directory); sub subr { foreach ($File::Find::name=~/(.*)\.xsd$/) { my $filetobecopied = $File::Find::name; my $newfile = $1 . ".origxsd"; copy($filetobecopied, $newfile) or die "$File::Find::name cannot be copied $!"; chmod 0777, $File::Find::name; open (FILE, "<", $File::Find::name) or die "Cannot open file $!"; print $File::Find::name. "\n"; local $/; my $file=<FILE>; $f=~s/<!--[\w\W^]*?-->//gi; close FILE; open (OUT, ">", $File::Find::name) or die "Cannot write to file $!"; print OUT $f; close OUT; chmod 0444, $File::Find::name; } }[/quote] thanks kreij

Hybrid_theory, Jul 26, 2018
  3. Script can copy file directory in one spot but not the other

It's having trouble copying any of the files in the sub directories of frank. All the files directly under frank are properly backed up and the originals are properly edited.

The script runs using a foreach, looking for any file that ends with a specific extension, in the directory specified. It uses File::find to locate each file. The script first copies the file and adds "orig" to the extension name, for example the file is .origpy instead of .py. The original file is changed from read only to full write permissions. Then it is opened for reading, all is read into memory except the comments. The file is closed. The file is opened for writing. Everything from the file in memory is written to file. The file is closed, and changed back to read only.

This works great in Linux. I tried it in XP, its fine as well. just something about the directory structure on this server that wont let it work for the sub directories in frank.

Hybrid_theory, Jul 26, 2018
  4. temp02 Win User

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

1. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories - Similar Threads - File History Copying

2. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files into WindowsApps directory: Hello, I want to copy some files into game directory in WindowsApps, but firstly I have access denied, so I have changed permission for every user. Now I have got access to that directory, but I cannot copy any files into it. Everytime it says that I don't have right...
  3. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files into WindowsApps directory: Hello, I want to copy some files into game directory in WindowsApps, but firstly I have access denied, so I have changed permission for every user. Now I have got access to that directory, but I cannot copy any files into it. Everytime it says that I don't have right...
  4. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy": I got a notification from my Plex remote server today that the music files I wanted to play were missing. Naturally I freaked out and when I got home checked to see if there was a drive failure or something. However, Windows has seemingly renamed every file in my music folder...
  6. Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy": I got a notification from my Plex remote server today that the music files I wanted to play were missing. Naturally I freaked out and when I got home checked to see if there was a drive failure or something. However, Windows has seemingly renamed every file in my music folder...
  7. File History not showing all backed up directories Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not showing all backed up directories Windows 10: For several years, I’ve been using the File History tool to back up files from two hard drives C:, the SSD where my operating system resides; and D:, the HDD where many of the operating files for installed programs and my saved files reside. The D: drive recently failed,...
  8. Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?: I'm finding multiple copies of the same files in my File History Backup Directory ? Have I missed a switch ?? I don't have a lot of storage and I thought duplicate files would be skipped automagically. ANy advice would be appreciated. Ell...
  9. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Random files in all directories

in Windows 10 Support
    Random files in all directories: Hello, All over the desktop and in random folders on my USB stick I have XSL stylesheet files. The seem like Office/World style templates. If I delete them they reappear when office is opened. I tried to repair office but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas why these are...