Windows 10: File History not recognizing drive

Discus and support File History not recognizing drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks As you can see from the attached screenshot, I'm having a problem with File History backup. The selected drive is an outboard Lifestream 1tb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bob Hennessy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. File History not recognizing drive

Hi folks
    As you can see from the attached screenshot, I'm having a problem with File History backup. The selected drive is an outboard Lifestream 1tb hard drive connected through a USB port on the computer. I have other, individual application backups on this drive and also a File History backup from another computer.

Windows 10
    HP Envy All in One
    Backup size 9.7 GB

Thanks in advance for your help

:)

Bob Hennessy, Sep 18, 2017
  2. dickgroff Win User

backup drive not recognized

I did those tests and tried another drive. All the drives are working fine and the computer recognizes them, but the file history function does not connect to the drive, no matter which one I assign. It is not a problem with the computer recognizing
    the drive or the drive itself. The problem is windows 10 will not allow a drive to be assigned to the file history function. Err msg: "File history does not recognize this drive."

dickgroff, Sep 18, 2017
  3. inovator Win User
    File History Does not see a USB drive

I have multiple external drives. Most are 3 1/2 inches and they are all recognized by file history; whereas, attached an old 5" external drive and while it is recognized by windows it is not recognized by file history. I tried a couple of things that are
    on the website but to no avail. I do not understand how file history is more choosy than other applications in recognizing drives

inovator, Sep 18, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

File History not recognizing drive

Hi there, Bob. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Check the drive's permissions by right clicking for the context menu > Security tab.

Tony K, Sep 18, 2017
  5. See attached
    Thanks
    Bob H

6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. What's it look like highlighting System and Administrator?

I would advise not to show personal items such as your (DESKTOP-number). One never knows with hackers around. You can delete pics here by clicking on "Edit post" > Scroll down until you see the pic's thumbnail > X it at the top right and choose delete. You can white that out in a pic editor app and repost if you like. Up to you.

You may want to look through this tutorial on the subject. Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Tony K, Sep 18, 2017
  7. Both allow all permissions
    Will check out the tutorial
    Bob H

8. File History not recognizing drive

Voila
    Allowing full control under 'Authenticated Users' seems to have solved the problem.
    Many Thanks Hippsie Gypsie'
    Bob H

9. Tony K Win User
    Probably not a permissions problem then. It's not duplicating a drive letter is it? Does File Explorer see it? Device Manager see it? Any *Warning in Device Manager?

Could be a GPT vs MBR conflict. On what machine was this drive formatted?

Tony K, Sep 18, 2017
  10. See above.
    Also, quick question.......Can I control how often File History overwrites a previous backup?

Thanks again Hippsie Gipsie
    Bob

11. Tony K Win User
    You must've posted right before I did so I didn't see your post. That's great news. *Smile

I don't use it, but I'd imagine that setting would be in advanced settings? Here's another tutorial on the subject. Please notice after each tutorial there are other related tutes that are linked.

Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10 Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Also, the best way to find tutes or help here is with this custom search. Notice the different tabs in the results page.

Google Custom Search

Tony K, Sep 18, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    File History does not quite work like that it is more of a Time Machine of versions. It will only backup again if the file changes if it stays the same it won't do anything.
    So the number depends on whether the file changes.

The choices are Forever (default), or various times, or until space is needed.

Control Panel > All Items > File History > Advanced settings, under versions there is a link for Clean up versions.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History not recognizing drive

1. File History not recognizing drive - Similar Threads - File History recognizing

2. New drive not recognized by "File History" on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New drive not recognized by "File History" on Windows 10: I have been using a 440GB SATA SSD drive to save the File History on Windows 10 but it's getting full, so I repurposed a 1TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO drive to use instead this used to be my boot drive but I upgraded to a 2TB M.2 drive.When I go through the steps to replace the old...
  3. New drive not recognized by "File History" on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New drive not recognized by "File History" on Windows 10: I have been using a 440GB SATA SSD drive to save the File History on Windows 10 but it's getting full, so I repurposed a 1TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO drive to use instead this used to be my boot drive but I upgraded to a 2TB M.2 drive.When I go through the steps to replace the old...
  4. New drive not recognized by "File History" on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History Doesn't Recognize This Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Doesn't Recognize This Drive: As you can see from the screenshot my One Touch drive is listed however File History doesn't recognize it. What am I supposed to understand from this?...
  6. File History Doesn't Recognize This Drive

File History Doesn't Recognize This Drive: As you can see from the screenshot my One Touch drive is listed however File History doesn't recognize it. What am I supposed to understand from this?...
  7. Windows doesn't recognize drive for file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't recognize drive for file history: Windows doesn't recognize drive for file historyhow to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-doesnt-recognize-drive-for-file-history/32e20825-ec4b-414a-9816-de39c84761ec
  8. Windows doesn't recognize drive for file history

Windows doesn't recognize drive for file history: Windows doesn't recognize drive for file historyhow to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-doesnt-recognize-drive-for-file-history/32e20825-ec4b-414a-9816-de39c84761ec
  9. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  10. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...