Windows 10: File History not working - Windows 10.

Discus and support File History not working - Windows 10. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My File History is one of the most important pieces of kit I have - when Creators Fall WU trashed my laptop forcing me to do a Clean Install, Monkey57... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Taffy087, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Taffy087 Win User

File History not working - Windows 10.

My File History is one of the most important pieces of kit I have - when Creators Fall WU trashed my laptop forcing me to do a Clean Install, Monkey57 came to my rescue and 'talked me through' setting up and using File History. But it hasn't worked since May. One suggestion here was to create it on a new USB but still no joy. Let me explain.

#1 - This shows that I ran it at 10:44 this morning:

File History not working - Windows 10. 49e990fd-b050-4c4e-932a-fcab640ca564?upload=true.png

#2 But when I check the USB, every change is shown as 15th May.

File History not working - Windows 10. 783ec281-a85a-4879-80dd-45f76f12d21c?upload=true.png

#3 I tried a new USB and had the same result. The drive wasn't recognised and it asked me to select another drive - it also said there was an error with drive,

File History not working - Windows 10. e179863c-5b28-47b2-96af-2a4d853f6116?upload=true.png

I won't post any more images but will say that it gave me the option to check the drive for errors and repair it. There were none and when I asked for 'more details' I was taken to the Event Log. There were a number of Errors entries there - the opening sentences of one are shown below. I've no idea if it's relevant and I'm way out of my depth in the Event Log. Can any one help please?

Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 03/08/2018 12:08:21

Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: LAPTOP-ENVY

Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

:)

Taffy087, Aug 3, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File History Not Working

This issue can also happen if Indexing service (Windows Search service) is disabled. To check this setting, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Run and type Service.msc.
    • Double-click on Windows Search and check if it's disabled. Set it to
      Automatic.
    • Click on Apply, then choose OK.

This setting scans and inspects the file system from time to time. It looks for changes to backup your files when you start using the File History.

Additionally, we suggest checking 'Mike P's reply to a similar concern found on this thread posted last October 4, 2015:

File History - Could not enable File History
    . Renaming the folder did the trick relating the same issue.

Let us know of the status or progress regarding your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Aug 3, 2018
  4. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. File History not working - Windows 10. - Similar Threads - File History working

2. File HIstory not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File HIstory not working in Windows 10.: Issue with File History with the backup. Error 8100002F. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-working-in-windows-10/d785ee38-3f2d-46b5-9ce9-580e42ed2581
  3. File HIstory not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File HIstory not working in Windows 10.: Issue with File History with the backup. Error 8100002F. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-working-in-windows-10/d785ee38-3f2d-46b5-9ce9-580e42ed2581
  4. File HIstory not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11, file history not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, file history not working.: Trying to use windows 11 file history to backup files. I got this error message. see picture. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-file-history-not-working/d0dd0d10-2e6a-48ff-808e-5ec8300e43cc
  6. File History Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Not Working: So on my Windows 10 PC, I turned on File History on a USB Drive. Then I tried turning it off because the File History folder took up a lot of storage USB Drive was meant for small files. I kept on trying but it wouldn't work and gave an error message. Then I tried to delete...
  7. Windows 10 File History not working

Windows 10 File History not working: I was doing some checking and found out that my Windows 10 File History had 0 bytes backed up and the last back up was on 12/1/2017. It had been working before. So I went in and asked that it back up. It seems to have backed up 616 GB. But it still lists the date as...
  8. File History not working

File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  9. Windows 10 File History backup not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 File History backup not working: I want to back up my Windows 10 laptop using the built-in Windows back up facility. All of the advice I have read on the internet suggest the use of File History. I have a Western Digital 500GB USB hard drive which I attached to the laptop and followed the advice on the...
  10. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows file history not working

2. 2018 file history not working