Windows 10: File History Stopped Working...

Discus and support File History Stopped Working... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Maybe my experience will help. I wanted TWO current FH folders - one on each of two backup drives, just in case of a total disaster during a reinstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jamis, Feb 23, 2018.

1. spilly Win User

File History Stopped Working...

Maybe my experience will help.
    I wanted TWO current FH folders - one on each of two backup drives, just in case of a total disaster during a reinstall onto an erased disk.
    I used Control Panel Run Now onto Backup #1, then stopped FH, formatted Backup #2, reconfigured Backup #2 for FH and left it running overnight.
    As I still haven't rebuilt Windows, I have since reconfigured again to use Backup #1 again, and re-executed CPanel Run Now.
    Since then, FH appears to be taking its correct, hourly backups. Some are skipped, I'm sure because the system was idle. Those that have occurred have been after user data file activity.
    There is no Event log or other obvious trace I can see in Task Scheduler, but the FH service is running.

I conclude that there is no panic until MS unleash TimeLine on us, and choose to withdraw FH support again.
    In the meantime, I'm changing my policy from taking Monthly Reflect Free Images + running FH hourly
    to buying a paid for copy of Reflect, and using its incremental option to backup the user data.

Personally I thought FH was ideal for those wanting a local backup (usually because of cloud upload speed and/or capacity issues). I think it v regrettable that MS could even consider killing an efficient backup solution on which users are actually relying. To my mind, this is not the quality of service that "Windows as a Service" should be delivering.

spilly, Mar 4, 2018
  2. jamis Win User

I have given up on FileHistory. Nothing seems to make it work like it used to and the system is throwing more and more BSODs. These started shortly after I tried to replace the old FH drive. I have turned FH off, deleted the trigger, and disconnected the new drive. Sometimes I rue leaving W7.

jamis, Mar 6, 2018
  3. RolandJS Win User
    Those of you ceasing File History operations, I want to learn from you, what kind of routine, regular, backup operations will take FH's place? Onto reliable external media -- full images of OS and Data partitions followed by Incremental and / or differential backups? Using stuff from Macrium Reflect, EaseUS, AOMEI, or other sources?

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History Stopped Working...

1. File History Stopped Working... - Similar Threads - File History Stopped

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History Back Up Stopped Working

File History Back Up Stopped Working: My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get...
  6. File History backup stops working & incomplete

File History backup stops working & incomplete: File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily. OS : Win10 home 2004 Backup Target : Storage Space volume of 2-way mirrored 2x External USB3 Laptop drives. Backup Source Directories to...
  7. File History stops working & incomplete

File History stops working & incomplete: File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily. OS : Win10 home 2004 Backup Target : Storage Space volume of 2-way mirrored 2x External USB3 Laptop drives. Backup Source Directories to...
  8. can not stop file history

can not stop file history: I have an active one drive connection that copies all my documents, etc. to the cloud as well as a backup of files in Windows Server 2012. Prior to the last update build 19041.329, I had file history turned off since it is redundant in my situation. Since the update I am...
  9. File History stopped.

File History stopped.: My computer Windows 10 has stopped file history from working. I turned on file history and its still not working> Any Answers? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-stopped/1613aca1-c747-41f6-ade9-d87258cac210
  10. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...