Windows 10: File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

Discus and support File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all! I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jake1988, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Jake1988 Win User

File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

Hi all!
    I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think) PC and I was trying to salvage some old family photos. I found a file with a lock icon on it. It allows me inside, but all the photos inside have lock icons on them also and I can't open, edit, or move them (though I can delete them). I've tried switching ownership rights to me through my Windows 10 PC but that doesn't remove the lock icons or grant me access. I've looked at the Advanced Security Settings and I've changed my access to Full Control of the file and all subfiles and folders. Still, the files and subfolders/files are locked with the icon.
    Does anyone know a solution? I'll provide specs if they're needed, though I assume this is an OS issue more than hardware.

:)

Jake1988, Feb 22, 2017

2. Unable to access Bitlocker encrypted External drive

Bitlocker is tied to the OS you installed it on. If you cannot access the old HD you cannot gain access to the bitlocked drive.

Yet another reason not to use encryption

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 22, 2017
  3. Ownership of pictures and files

I've recently found a problem where I cannot access my old pictures and files from one of my hard drives from an old gaming PC I had, I've since had a new computer built but when I connect the hard drive and go to my old files, they all have a lock over
    the icon and it says that I do not have the appropriate permissions. After this, i researched how to change ownership and I have but the file still says the same thing.

ManuelCuesta, Feb 22, 2017
  4. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

Welcome to the TenForums @Jake1988

Any chance did this old machine use any kind of software to encrypt files?

I assume this old 7 machine is now a washing machine or TV somewhere in the world.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2017
  5. billz Win User
    I shall try to follow this thread as I have a very old 10MB HD on a 14 lbweight Laptop that crashed out half a lifetime away - tucked away somewhere I hope. probably using MS dos 3.0 or earlier before windows. Its only a potential project that defeated me at the time for when I am a much nearer death.

billz, Feb 23, 2017
  6. Jake1988 Win User
    It was my mom's PC, and to my knowledge, there wasn't any encryption software added when she used it.
    I have the tower the hard drive came from, but it's not compatible with the monitor I have. I don't wanna have to buy another one just to gain access to the files.

Jake1988, Feb 23, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    @Jake1988, can you copy the files? The easiest way to remove all security permissions is to copy them to a USB. Its Fat32 format doesn't support ntfs security attributes. If the copies still have the lock icon and you cannot open them then they are likely to be encrypted. Could be Bitlocker, some editions of W7 had it. If so, you'll need to boot up the old PC to read them.

BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7: Frequently Asked Questions

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

1. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access - Similar Threads - File old hard

2. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  3. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  4. I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to...: I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to all of them at once or do i have to gain access to each one of them seperately? as that would take very long. Thanks in advance....
  5. I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to...: I have hundreds of old photos stored on an old hard drive, is it possible to gain access to all of them at once or do i have to gain access to each one of them seperately? as that would take very long. Thanks in advance....
  6. Cannot gain access to C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot gain access to C drive: So I went to properties on my disk drive and clicked security, I messed around with the permissions as I was trying to do something but after I went back on it, there is only 1 user compared to my other drive which has 4. I am only able to read on my drive and I've tried the...
  7. Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive: I need to retrieve some very important files from a hard drive that has not been in use for more than a year after I needed the ram from that PC for something else because my current Windows 10 PC decided to purge these files without my consent and I am UNABLE to access these...
  8. trying to access old hard drive

trying to access old hard drive: Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from. I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in--...
  9. Gaining permission to an old hard drive files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Gaining permission to an old hard drive files: Hi. I have an old hard drive with which I decided to copy it's data to a new HDD, I had a OS installed on it (probably windows xp) when I decided not to use it. Now that I decide to copy its data from C drive, It says you don't have access and you need to fix the premission...
  10. Gaining permission to WD hard drive

Gaining permission to WD hard drive: I've recently tried to get my WD my world book, external hard drive going on a new laptop. Managed to install everything and it now shows on my network on laptop. But when I try opening the folder I get an message saying "MYBOOKWORLD is not accessible. You might not have...