Windows 10: File long path in Windows 10

Discus and support File long path in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maja, Jul 7, 2016.

1. maja Win User

File long path in Windows 10

I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error.

I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success, How can I enable filepaths longer then 260 characters?

:)

maja, Jul 7, 2016

2. File long path in Windows 10

In the currently released version of win 10 you cannot. When the anniversary update is released (around Aug 20 you will natively be able to. In either case you really dont want to have paths in excess of 260 characters.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 7, 2016
  3. maja_ldm Win User

I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error.

I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here,
    without success, How can I enable filepaths longer then 260 characters?

maja_ldm, Jul 7, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

You can copy your files to the Root of the Backup drive, (eg) if your backup documents are a folder, within a folder, within a folder, in a file, move the file to root of the drive by passing the folders. Same with the destination, place the backup documents onto the Desktop or the Root of the C: Drive. Then you can move it to the Documents folder or wherever after it is done copying.
    Shortening the backup folder name will also eliminate the problem

spunk, Jul 7, 2016
Thema:

1. File long path in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File long path

2. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  3. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  4. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  5. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  7. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  8. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  10. Issues with long file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with long file paths: I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other...