Windows 10: File Manager freezes on every request

Discus and support File Manager freezes on every request in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have had loads of problems with Win 10 since I bought my laptop (with Win 10 pre-installed) at Christmas). I have just had to do my THIRD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by historytom, Aug 25, 2016.

1. File Manager freezes on every request

Hi all,
    I have had loads of problems with Win 10 since I bought my laptop (with Win 10 pre-installed) at Christmas). I have just had to do my THIRD complete reset/recovery.

This one successfully installed the Anniversary Upgrade (at least it seems to have...lots of things - Mail etc. - now look "different").

One thing that HASN'T changed however, is the problem I have with File Manager freezing whenever I request anything (move/save/save as/open). If I ask FM to open a drive for example, it can take up to 2 minutes to do so (at least it tells me it is "working on it"!!!). It suddenly wakes up and does as it was asked. When trying to move/save/save as a file on any drive I frequently (3 out of 4 times) get a "not responding" message before the request is carried out after a minute or so.

What is the problem?

What is the solution?

Best regards,

:)

historytom, Aug 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Keeps Freezing After Upgrading; Error: Driver_power_state_ failure and Real Time Clock Failure

Hi,

Did you get a chance to look at the dump file? Also, I went through my device manager and updated the drivers for every single device associated with the computer, and I my computer is still freezing. Please help.

TylerCuffe, Aug 25, 2016
  3. aera645 Win User
    window 10 upgrade

Just upgraded to windows 10 and im unable to manage any of my folders and files. Every time I try to right click on any, the screen freezes and after a few seconds it closes everything on my home screen. Any ideas on how to fix this?

aera645, Aug 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

File Manager freezes on every request

Hi, purely as an experiment (as some people have found a correlation with this and your symptom) try turning off Windows search:

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type services.msc and hit ok or enter
    3. Scroll down to Windows search
    4. Right click it and click Stop

Now see how file explorer behaves.

If its performance is better, it will be necessary to diagnose the problem with that.

In one thread, people just decided to turn it off. That means slow search- nothing indexed. That suggests an underlying problem, and doing that is a work around, not a solution.

Note: I have no problems with explorer's speed and have indexing enabled on default locations.

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  5. Hi Dalchina,
    thanks for your help...again. I'll give that a try and report back (by the way, the problem with the black lines covering the text boxes SEEMS to have been sorted with the reset...for now at least!!!

historytom, Aug 25, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Curious if Bitlocker is on ? it can be very slow on under powered PC's as it needs to decrypt the drive 1st. I think.

Kbird, Aug 25, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Bitlocker? er.. why mention that? There's a number of threads with the OP's original symptoms. Most end up turning search off, which simply should not be necessary on a system with no basic problems.

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Because the only time I have seen the "working on it" message was on a Surface3 , which somehow had Bitlocker on it enabled , even the M$ Store Genuis's were surprised as only the Pro model should have Bitlocker . They replaced the Surface , but all they would tell me is that it was a "bitlocker" issue ..... true or not I don't know ?

Kbird, Aug 25, 2016
  9. I don't know what this Bitlocker discussion is but I do know I spoke too soon. I stopped the Windows Search as outlined in Dalchina's post but eventually the freezing problem returned...and worse still...the problem with the text in the dialogue boxes being blocked out has returned!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

historytom, Aug 25, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Which AV do you use? (ignore the Bitlocker line- I assume you don't use it)

And how does your PC behave in Safe Mode?

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  11. I am using Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes. I'm having lots of problems with Firefox too. I've not tried Safe Mode. I'll give it a go though.

historytom, Aug 26, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    it's less than a year old , so likely under warranty , ask them to sort it out, incase it is a hardware issue.

Bitlocker Encrytion is in Control panel if you want to look at it..... I don't use it myself

File Manager freezes on every request [​IMG]

Kbird, Aug 26, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

We need to check if anything installed is causing the problem as far as possible before consulting the manufacturer, so please check in Safe Mode, then after a clean boot,
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

then once you've tried those, if you still have a problem, disable all shell extensions using Shellexview (free).

Hide all MS extensions, disable all others, noting the 32 bit option which exposes more. No need to log off or restart.

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  14. Hmmmn. I'll give Bitlocker a swerve I think.

I booted into Safe Mode and had a look but as these are really random events and suddenly appear (with no apparent connection) I don't know what I am looking for.

I really have NO confidence that Currys/PC World would look at the laptop, never mind fix it. I really think they were happy when an old man came looking for a computer and couldn't wait to sell this thing to me. I'm not even convinced this is a NEW machine!!!

Thanks for your help though.

historytom, Aug 26, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    I can only advise that you wait 'long enough' - i.e. longer than the typical incidence.

What we're trying to do is identify if it's sthg you installed, and if so what.

Just trying Safe Mode for a few minutes if typically it takes 3 hours before you see a problem really proves nothing.

If it happens in Safe Mode, when (probably) no added programs or drivers are running, then that gives yuo more justification to take it back.

Same with a clean boot as to the time.

Another possible approach is to look at Event Viewer and Reliability History.
    a. Note the time you experience the problem
    b. look at the reports there around that time
    See if anything jumps out at you as potentially related.

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
Thema:

1. File Manager freezes on every request - Similar Threads - File Manager freezes

2. A file freezes the file explorer every time I interact with it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A file freezes the file explorer every time I interact with it: Specifically, the operation gets stuck when I try to move it to another folder, it does nothing when I try to delete it, freezes the window when I try to delete it, and fails to open. What do I do?...
  3. A file freezes the file explorer every time I interact with it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A file freezes the file explorer every time I interact with it: Specifically, the operation gets stuck when I try to move it to another folder, it does nothing when I try to delete it, freezes the window when I try to delete it, and fails to open. What do I do?...
  4. A file freezes the file explorer every time I interact with it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported.: So I am trying to delete the one, and only volume on my physical disk, called: "TEST ORANGE" With the drive letter D:. It will return me with the error "Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported." photo attached I've tried running SFC /scannow and it didn't find...
  6. Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported.: So I am trying to delete the one, and only volume on my physical disk, called: "TEST ORANGE" With the drive letter D:. It will return me with the error "Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported." photo attached I've tried running SFC /scannow and it didn't find...
  7. Virtual disk Manager: The request is not supported.

8. Windows requesting a file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows requesting a file: Windows requested a temp file for scanning is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-requesting-a-file/1dd1f9ed-503d-4555-8b54-e66255dbf194
  9. Microsoft requesting credentials for every program, every day

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft requesting credentials for every program, every day: My computer has recently started asking for my credentials every time I turn my computer on after the initial login screen, once the computer is booted. I get notifications about "work or school account problem" and "Microsoft account problem," as well as some individual...
  10. Download manager update request

Download manager update request: Why Microsoft not updating or developing there own free download manager software? https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=27960 I know that there are many alternative download manager available such as IDM, FDM, Eagleget, Ninja download manager,...