Windows 10: File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files.

Discus and support File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Wife says she has to walk away and leave it, and it may eventually show files. It does not list any directories at all on the left pane. So how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Sep 10, 2017.

1. File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files.

Wife says she has to walk away and leave it, and it may eventually show files.
    It does not list any directories at all on the left pane.

So how to fix, and if not fixable, is there an alternate file manager?

:)

sdowney717, Sep 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 February 2016 update caused file associations to reset - bad update

My laptop updated February 10 and has completely broken the file associations. Not only that but the File Explorer does not show any icons and the dreaded green bar on file explorer is so slow that it takes few minutes to complete.

The workarounds of going to Default Apps is not fixing the problem of green bar very slow.

I need the Microsoft Technical Support teams to escalate this issue to L3 to look because although it is happening in-consistently IT IS breaking things.

Also, anyone please let me know how to revert the entire patch or I am reverting the entire Windows 10 update to Windows 8.1 since I have the option of doing that.

Thanks

AmitOnMission, Sep 10, 2017
  3. N79 - One broken picture which cant be deleted.

I have this picture file which shows a "broken" sign in my albums. I tried to delete it but it says "System Error".

It has a file name. I check my backup on my PC and sure enough the same file name exist and it works. I tried copying that file back to the phone. It works and doesnt say to replace any duplicates. So now I have two files, same name, one shows, and the other
    doesnt show. I cant delete the broken one which is my intention.

I tried looking using the File Manager but file manager doesnt see it.

Its just annoying that it is there....what short of a format will help get rid of it?

Thanks

fring---01, Sep 10, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files.

Sometimes rather than fully rebooting I use Task Manager to End Task on Windows Explorer, Processes tab and scroll clear to the bottom. Then I use the 3-finger salute to Sign Out and usually get things started again.

Something else to do in the way of a diagnostic is right-click the drive icon, click Properties, click Tools tab then Error Checking. For the C:/Boot/System drive you'll get a message to shut down [not restart] then boot up then wait for the disk check to begin. If no luck with that maybe a disk diagnostic from the firm that made the drive.

As for an alternate file management to File Explorer [formerly Windows Explorer] I use Total Commander, not free, but have seen Free Commander working fine. Both look different but not hard to get used to.

Berton, Sep 10, 2017
  5. Ok, we rebooted the PC, and file manager worked, showed files immediately.

So is this a bug or a windows feature?*chuckle

Honestly, there must be a bug. It has happened several times recently, but she had not rebooted recently.
    Having to reboot means there must be a bug.

sdowney717, Sep 10, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    More than likely, as I've noticed from time to time, is Windows memory management has hit a glitch and the renewal of the loading of Windows clears that up. A lot hinges upon what the user is doing that may require a lot of data stored in RAM/Randam Access Memory. RAM is volatile, whatever is stored in it, being used, will be wiped out when the RAM modules lose power during reboot or shutdown/restart processes, gives a clean start to Windows and programs. Normally when a program is closed the Operating System or itself should remove data from memory, doesn't always happen. Which having to reboot doesn't necessarily indicate any problem but one could run a memory diagnostic such as memtest86 to check or maybe the machines boot process has a built-in memory diagnostic. memtest86 at DuckDuckGo

Berton, Sep 10, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    This was a common complaint with the earlier versions of Windows 10. The original RTM release 10240 suffered a lot, Just google Windows 10 "we're working on it" and look at the dates of the reports, mostly they're from 2015. Seems better now, can't say I've had any problems in the Anniversary or Creators update. What version do you have?

8. File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files.

It is the creators update.

sdowney717, Sep 10, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you post a screenshot of your task manager, Processes tab, organising any column of interest from high to low by clicking the column tab header, and also of file explorer when this is happening e.g. using the Snipping tool, or if response makes this impossible, a photo.
    To post a screenshot/image please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

When this happens, do you simply launch file explorer, or are you searching for something using file explorer?

Does this ever happen after a clean boot?
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    part 1.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2017
  10. It happens at launch of windows explorer.
    If you close it and reopen, it wont display any folders on the left, and in the main right pane.
    A green bar begins progressing across the top, and it says working on it.
    You can interact with the top menus.

sdowney717, Sep 10, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you'd care to respond to para's 1 & 3, that might help, thanks.

Also try checking your disk: download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of the result, just to eliminate that possibility.

Then check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files.

1. File manager is broken. Says 'working on it' Green bar, no files. - Similar Threads - File manager broken

2. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  3. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  4. GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T DO THIS. WHY DO YOU FOOLS KEEP WEARING ON OUR NERVES WITH YOU IMPROVEMENTS. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH WINDOWS 95. EVERY CHANBGE YOU ASSHJOLES HAVE MADE SINCE THEN...
  5. GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GREEN LINE IN THE ADDRESS BAR OF FILE EXPLORER: WHY AM I FORCED TO WATCH THIS GODDAMNED THING EVERY TIME I CHANGE FOLDERS? OLDER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS DIDN'T DO THIS. WHY DO YOU FOOLS KEEP WEARING ON OUR NERVES WITH YOU IMPROVEMENTS. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH WINDOWS 95. EVERY CHANBGE YOU ASSHJOLES HAVE MADE SINCE THEN...
  6. Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar: I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10...
  7. I have the "Working On It" error with the green bar in File Explorer. Sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have the "Working On It" error with the green bar in File Explorer. Sometimes.: Whenever it happens, I'm downloading files using Chrome. And the destination folder is the one hit by the "Working On It" thing. But when the downloads are finished, and I close Chrome, the files suddenly appear with their correct icons and are accessible. Conflict with...
  8. Why when clicking network in file manager, a slow moving green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why when clicking network in file manager, a slow moving green bar: Green bar moves across the top and I get nothing? It is super annoying! I have 3 network shares, and I was able to link to them in windows 10 using some other way, like connect to, map a server in the filemanager, and they instantly appeared. Yet I cannot explore the...
  9. Green progress bar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Green progress bar in File Explorer: I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (J:) Jack" as an example. How...
  10. Task Manager broken, search bar not working and more

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager broken, search bar not working and more: hello, I have been using windows 10 Insider Preview build 10130 for a few weeks now and everything worked fine except for a few beta bugs. Though today when i started up my pc and opened google chrome, it refused to load any page. Project Spartan does work and any game...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file manager working on it

2. file manager does not display directory contects just shows green bar

3. green bar progress when click thispc