Windows 10: File Name Unchangeable

Discus and support File Name Unchangeable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a file in my Firefox profile that needs to be renamed (or removed,) in order for other things to happen. Even after installing the W10 Forums... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Dec 6, 2016.

1. File Name Unchangeable

I have a file in my Firefox profile that needs to be renamed (or removed,) in order for other things to happen. Even after installing the W10 Forums Registry hack to take ownership, no matter what I do, I cannot get the file to be changed. I have tried changing ownership entries in the Security Tab of the file's Property Sheet, all to no avail: Each time I try to modify or delete the file, I am told that I need Administrator's permission to carry out the action.

I even created a new Firefox profile, which automatically created its own copy of the file in question; that copy was easily renamed, with the same admin ownership as I have tried multiple times with the recalcitrant exemplar. I tried to paste the new, modifiable file over the existing non-modifiable one, only to the the same error message.

I am the admin, I have set the admin to be the owner in the Security Tab (as well as, as mentioned, trying other owners,) all to no avail. Any idea as to how I can accomplish what I thought would be a simple task?

:)

Not Myself, Dec 6, 2016
  2. Nater255 Win User

Godmode problem: the folder is set up correctly, but folder name is blank. (Version 10.0.16179)

This appears to have been broken with one of the late April 2017 Win10 updates. GodMode no longer accepts an argument before the dot to give it a file name. Functionality remains unchanged, but you can no longer (re)name the file. This applied to both
    existing GodMode shortcuts as well as those created after the update. Annoying.

Nater255, Dec 6, 2016
  3. How to view temporary internet files in Windows 10

Does that mean that

right-click> properties on

"C:\Users\account name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files"

shows 803MB?

Don

Don Varnau, Dec 6, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

File Name Unchangeable

What is the file name and are you sure you dont have FF running when you try who is the owner of the file?

Samuria, Dec 6, 2016
  5. search.json.mozlz4 As long as that file is there, with its original name, if you have a Search Engines folder in the Firefox profile, that folder will not be recognized, which means that my added search engines are not accessible. The related file, search.json, was quickly renamed search.json.old; apparently, a new search.json will not be created upon restarting Fx so long as the mozlz4 file remains with its original name.

Yes, Fx is always closed when making any changes to its profile, as in today's frustration exercise.

Thanks for responding to my plea for assistance.

Not Myself, Dec 6, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    spunk, Dec 6, 2016
  7. Thanks, but I changed the default several days ago, and that is not what I am trying to do, which is, by renaming the recalcitrant file, access my collection of added search engines, which reside in their own folder in the Fx profile.

Not Myself, Dec 6, 2016
  8. pyramid10 Win User

File Name Unchangeable

Instead of hammering on a Nerf nail, why not just copy 99.99% of the profile to the newly created one and use that as the default? Rename the old profile and it's done.

pyramid10, Dec 6, 2016
  9. I tried my 10-ounce finish hammer, my 16-ounce claw hammer, my 5-pound double jack, and my 10-pound sledgehammer, all with no effect. Seriously, there are (or were) good reasons: First, I was hoping to learn how to deal with such files, should I encounter any more, and second, were I able to rename that one file, I would not have to create and populate a new Firefox profile.

One can not "just copy 99.99% of the profile, as that would not work. There is a quite specific list of which files can be transferred:, found in this link:

Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

You then have to determine what other folders and files need to be transferred, such as the additional search engines folder, which, incidentally, a short while ago I successfully installed in the new Firefox profile I created yesterday, after renaming the problem file. (I had not encountered that need previously, as I had not created a new profile after a change was made in Firefox.)

The worst part of transferring from one profile to another is how to best do that with extensions, which I have learned to more or less do without too much frustration.

Not Myself, Dec 6, 2016
  10. As it has become apparent that, for reasons unknown, and likely unknowable, the file that I cannot rename shall never be renamed. Given that reality, I have moved all relevant folders and files from the Firefox profile with the problem into the Fx profile that I created yesterday as part of my renaming testing.

In that profile, I have the additional search engines that I could not access, and so far, with the exception of the expected extension options I have either not made or have chosen incorrectly, all seems well.

It surprised me just how well and how quickly the process of moving over to the newest profile went; I can only hope that, although I am using it , it is not watching and planning to take revenge....

Not Myself, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File Name Unchangeable

1. File Name Unchangeable - Similar Threads - File Name Unchangeable

2. Screen brightness unchangeable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen brightness unchangeable: I cant change my display brightness whatever i do, tried it in settings. The only screen brightness only changes when i manually rebooted my laptop windows 11 home, then it cant be changed again. I have to reboot my laptop every time i want to change the screen brightness...
  3. Screen brightness unchangeable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen brightness unchangeable: I cant change my display brightness whatever i do, tried it in settings. The only screen brightness only changes when i manually rebooted my laptop windows 11 home, then it cant be changed again. I have to reboot my laptop every time i want to change the screen brightness...
  4. Laptop password unchangeable :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop password unchangeable :/: so i try to change my password and i dont have the password change option. and when i try changing my PIN, it apparently needs windows hello but i need a work/school account for that.why is this so?...
  5. Laptop password unchangeable :/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop password unchangeable :/: so i try to change my password and i dont have the password change option. and when i try changing my PIN, it apparently needs windows hello but i need a work/school account for that.why is this so?...
  6. User name unchangeable in windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name unchangeable in windows.: When I made my windows account it's username was forced to be my phone number and I cant find a way to change it. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-name-unchangeable-in-windows/1958c790-bb9c-4828-92c3-7037dba5f43b
  7. A bunch of files became 0KB, date modified unchanged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A bunch of files became 0KB, date modified unchanged: On one of my external drives (only one), a bunch of seemingly random files became 0KB. They don't open or otherwise react. Date modified is unchanged, remains the original correct date. It affected mostly smaller files in many directories. It doesn't seem to be a drive...
  8. Screen time unchangable

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screen time unchangable: My computer has screen time restrictions which I cannot remove. I am the admin on the computer and do not have any family, although this lack of family is where the issue came from. I had parents on the family but I removed myself from the family because the emails they were...
  9. Theme Slideshow folder unchangeable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Theme Slideshow folder unchangeable: I created a new theme and added a slideshow background. It worked fine. I then wanted to create a new theme with a different folder. No matter how I attempt to create that new theme, ie. many different starting points, the folder from the original theme seems to be locked in....
  10. Brightness unchangable and stuck on full

in Windows 10 Support
    Brightness unchangable and stuck on full: The brightness of my computer is stuck on full. I have tried decreasing it by taping the button on the keypad but that had no response. I then went into Personalization and the brightness control was completely greyed out. I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon, what should I do? Thanks....