Windows 10: File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

Discus and support File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When running Sysinternals autoruns to check logon programs I get the following error: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ddelo, May 21, 2017.

1. ddelo Win User

File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

When running Sysinternals autoruns to check logon programs I get the following error:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
    Microsoft Windows Media Player File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

Message is correct, as the unregmp2.exe, in my installation of W10 1607 14393.1198, does not exist in C:\WINDOWS\inf but in C:\Windows\System32

I understand that the /ShowWMP.exe switch provides the icon for Microsoft Windows Media Player in the start menu.
    If that is the case, how come I have a functional shortcut with the correct icon in the Start menu, although the C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe does not exist?

What should we do here?
    1. Leave it as it is
    2. Change the path to the correct C:\Windows\System32\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe
    3. Delete the entry altogether

:)

ddelo, May 21, 2017
  2. ddelo Win User

It seems that the correct action, is
    2. Change the path to the correct C:\Windows\System32\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe, in registry (export the key, before changing it....just in case)

Tested it and it works fine. No error in autoruns, everything working as expected.
    Case solved!

ddelo, May 22, 2017
Thema:

File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

1. File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe - Similar Threads - File found WINDOWSinfunregmp2

2. .exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .exe: So i was not able to run Amd.exe . To do so i went to regedit and under Hkey class root .exe i changed the value .exe to “%1” %* but the mistake i made was i did not gave a space after “%1”. So after i restarted my pc i am anot able to open any .exe files i tried...
  3. .exe Files

.exe Files: I can't seem to find where my .exe files are and when i went online to find them they were listed in tools but i don't have a tools access seemingly trying to figure it out for a game i play...
  4. exe file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    exe file: exe file is not working on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-file/7e708774-b56c-4846-8036-2e683879ecd7
  5. Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB

Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB: Yup, you read that right. I really hate this since I need to install Windows (32-bit) via a thumb drive. Executive files inside the original hard drive does not affect this. All of the .exe files don't work (other type of files still work). But I can still access...
  6. exe files and regedit

exe files and regedit: I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and that didn't work. Now, I...
  7. Annoying .exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying .exe file: [img] can somebody help me to remove this? It open once in while. Thanks #windows10home 15812
  8. Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search: Program files (.exe) which are not installed (and so don't have a shortcut) are not being found by Windows search. Shortcuts, help files, folders etc with the same name all show up. [img] Indexing is complete and .exe is defined (as default) in indexing options to...
  9. Rundll32.exe Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Rundll32.exe Problem: Hi Everybody as the title shows i want to completely block Windows Host Processes (Rundll32.exe) from being executed and i am very consistent to do so *sarc because its swallowing my cpu all the time *Mad and im sure that its not a virus it just a droll and useless windows...
  10. 3 locked instances .exe but Unable to run .exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    3 locked instances .exe but Unable to run .exe file: Hi everyone, I've got this serious problem recently. I can't run some .exe file. This problem happens a month ago, but now that file is able to run now, and now it got other .exe file can't run. Everytime I keep launch the .exe application file, the cursor just keep...