Windows 10: File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

Discus and support File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When running Sysinternals autoruns to check logon programs I get the following error: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ddelo, May 21, 2017.

1. ddelo Win User

File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

When running Sysinternals autoruns to check logon programs I get the following error:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
    Microsoft Windows Media Player File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

Message is correct, as the unregmp2.exe, in my installation of W10 1607 14393.1198, does not exist in C:\WINDOWS\inf but in C:\Windows\System32

I understand that the /ShowWMP.exe switch provides the icon for Microsoft Windows Media Player in the start menu.
    If that is the case, how come I have a functional shortcut with the correct icon in the Start menu, although the C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe does not exist?

What should we do here?
    1. Leave it as it is
    2. Change the path to the correct C:\Windows\System32\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe
    3. Delete the entry altogether

:)

ddelo, May 21, 2017
  2. ddelo Win User

It seems that the correct action, is
    2. Change the path to the correct C:\Windows\System32\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe, in registry (export the key, before changing it....just in case)

Tested it and it works fine. No error in autoruns, everything working as expected.
    Case solved!

ddelo, May 22, 2017
Thema:

File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe

1. File not found: C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP.exe - Similar Threads - File found WINDOWSinfunregmp2

2. .exe files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .exe files: As of recently many .exe files have been flagged for changing protected files, and I am worried that I have a Trojan or virus of some sort. It has flagged a file called spotify.exe and SetAPM.exe. I had spotify but I deleted it after this had happened....
  3. Files and EXE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files and EXE: There is a software on my computer called ErrorHandler.exe and Kernel Broker.exe, my antivirus says that they are malware so I deleted them, however, they keep coming back, sometimes all at once, sometimes only one of them or 2. I emptied my recycle bin to get rid of them but...
  4. Unrecognized .exe file found.

Unrecognized .exe file found.: Hey! I have Windows 10 20H2 installed in my computer. Once I was using my computer I just went for Data Usage Overview just for check in. While I was scrolling down I found an .exe file named 71c8.tmp.exe. I just want to know whether it is a malware or any other kind of file...
  5. Exe Files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exe Files.: When a pop up window appear in a software, is this pop up window the part of same .exe file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-files/5b9073ae-4861-444d-a23c-99b9dedb1356
  6. .EXE files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .EXE files: I was just wondering if anyone could help or explain to me what exactly this is and what it's used for BridgeCummunication.exe. I noticed it running in my task manager under services and was running as a application. Thankful for any help provided....
  7. C++ Build and .exe files

C++ Build and .exe files: I have been developing a game in C++ for a while now, and I finally decided to make an alpha build and send it to my friend and have him test it. At which point, we ran into the issue of windows defender deleting the file saying its a virus. I know how to circumvent for this...
  8. .exe Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .exe Files: I can't seem to find where my .exe files are and when i went online to find them they were listed in tools but i don't have a tools access seemingly trying to figure it out for a game i play...
  9. exe file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    exe file: exe file is not working on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-file/7e708774-b56c-4846-8036-2e683879ecd7
  10. Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search: Program files (.exe) which are not installed (and so don't have a shortcut) are not being found by Windows search. Shortcuts, help files, folders etc with the same name all show up. [img] Indexing is complete and .exe is defined (as default) in indexing options to...