Windows 10: File open in COM Surrogate

Discus and support File open in COM Surrogate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have no idea what COM Surrogate is, but, recently I've had a lot of trouble with it. I'll try to throw something in the trash, or even put the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nikilet, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Nikilet Win User

File open in COM Surrogate

I have no idea what COM Surrogate is, but, recently I've had a lot of trouble with it. I'll try to throw something in the trash, or even put the file in some other location and it won't let me. I get the following message (see screenshot) and the only way I can get rid of it is to log out and then log back in.

Can someone help me with this problem?

I just found an article that this could be a Trojan. Is there some way for me to know if that's the case?

:)

Nikilet, Nov 23, 2017
  2. Damon.1 Win User

Unable to remove file properties Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10586.3) COM Surrogate and now (build 10586.29) and (10586.104) and (10586.218)

Unfortunately this does not work. Both "COM Surrogate" and "dllhost.exe" are not present until you attempt to remove file properties. Once you do open properties and then select Remove Properties then com surrogate and dllhost appear, however, if you kill
    both that will close the item you are attempting to remove properties from, etc.

Thanks for the input though!

Damon.1, Nov 23, 2017
  3. the action file cant be completed because the file is open COM surrogate windows 10

the action file cant be completed because the file is open COM surrogate windows 10

RahulKejriwal, Nov 23, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Right click the Taskbar and start the Task Manager. At the bottom, Take the drop down arrow and choose More Details. Under the Processes tab look for COM Surrogate and End the task, there may be more then one. Try it again.

spunk, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Nikilet Win User
    The first time there were 2 listings. I did it twice more and there were 3 each time.

Nikilet, Nov 24, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    COM Surrogate is a process that is used by more then one program. So, it will always come back. Right after Ending the Process, then do whatever you were doing with the file, dragging it to the trash or moving it, or whatever.

spunk, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Callender Win User
    If you enable command line view in task manager then you might see if dllhost.exe is running like this:

File open in COM Surrogate [​IMG]

File open in COM Surrogate [​IMG]

If that's the case then it's likely that you have one or more folders containing one or more corrupt images which explorer cannot create thumbnails for or else the thumbnails are corrupted. this can also happen especially with folders that contain video files where thumbnails are created.

The solution is tricky. Either scan for and delete corrupt image files and videos (if you know how to do it) or else move all suspect folders to an external drive and disconnect it. Reboot and test. If the problem has gone you would move folders back one at a time testing after each move.

Callender, Nov 25, 2017
  8. Callender Win User

Temporarily disable thumbnail previews in explorer:

Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Disable thumbnail cache:

Thumbnail Cache - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Reboot,

Clear and reset thumbnail cache:

Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Then force deleting the image file. From admin command prompt:

DEL /F /S /Q /A "Full Path To\prime3.jpg"

Enter the full path to the file between the quotes.

Callender, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Nikilet Win User
    Thank you for this; very nice of you to provide all the tutorials.

Nikilet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File open in COM Surrogate - Similar Threads - File open COM

2. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  3. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  4. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Is it bad that I have three COM Surrogate showing up on Task Manager? Someone said its a virus. I also have Antivirus called BitDefender please someone help this is only new laptop, I dont want viruses!...
  5. COM Surrogate

COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Customization
    COM Surrogate: A Window that keeps popping up once a day called COM Surrogate in Task Manager and its really starting to annoy me. The window says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create...
  7. COM Surrogate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    COM Surrogate?: I downloaded a JPG file and resized it, I have done this a million times. After saving it ballooned to 300MB and would not let me upload to the site I usually do, go to delete the file and it says cannot delete file because of COM surrogate. I stopped COM surrogate and then...
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate: I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on? 31943