Windows 10: File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems

Discus and support File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, can't seem to find anything relating to this issue but feel free to send link if already discussed.. On my Outlook 2003 (Yes I know!), I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johncassell, Feb 14, 2016.

1. File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems

Hi all, can't seem to find anything relating to this issue but feel free to send link if already discussed..

On my Outlook 2003 (Yes I know!), I often add/remove my pst archives via File>Data File Management.

The 'Open' dialog opens and defaults to the 'C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook' folder. Because we keep our PST files on the server and not in this local location I have a shortcut in this folder that links to the server folder.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, when I go to add my PST it takes me to this local folder but the shortcut to the server folder isn't there. At the bottom of the Open box if I change the Save As Type to All Files (*.*) then I can see the shortcut to the network folder but when I double click on it, it complains because I haven't clicked on a PST file.

Would anyone have any idea why this is happening and a possible solution please?

Thanks
    John

:)

johncassell, Feb 14, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Feb 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 file explorer crashes explorer.exe

I've also been getting this problem using a File Explorer shortcut pinned to my taskbar. However I did also notice that you can also open File Explorer by clicking the start button and then clicking the "File Explorer" option (should be above the Settings
    option) on the start menu.

When I use the File Explorer option from the start menu I don't get any problems at all, but it does crash rather frequently if I use a File Explorer shortcut that's pinned to the taskbar.

Extrasmooth1, Feb 14, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems

Could you provide a screenshot? Does the short cut have a proper icon to indicate its associated with Outlook or is it a default icon.

swarfega, Feb 14, 2016
  5. File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully you can see that. I've included a shot from a Win 7 PC (Which works perfectly) and a Win 10 PC (Despite what you can see on the Win 10 screenshot there is in fact a shortcut to my 'server' archives just as there is with the Win 7 example.

John

6. swarfega Win User
    hmm well it looks like it is registered as the default app to handle the pst files. You might just want to check though.

Go to Settings app
    Type in default in the search bar
    Click on Associate file types with specific applications and look up .pst.

You can also right click on the .pst file and select properties and check the file's location is correct.

swarfega, Feb 14, 2016
  7. Hi, I don't think its an issue with the PST files. The problem I am having is that my pst files are located on the network drive and the shortcut to that location isn't visible in that box. If I choose to show all files then it shows me that shortcut but when I click on the shortcut it errors because it only wants me to click on PSTs (not shortcuts etc..)

I can't click on the PST because its not letting me get to where they are located...

8. wyldman68 Win User

Sounds like you need to map the network drive, where the PST files are located.

wyldman68, Feb 14, 2016
  9. Hi, the mapped network drive would work for this instance but I'm afraid it doesn't fix the larger picture. For example. We have shortcuts on our desktops to network drive folders so if we created a new email then wanted to pick a file from one of these folders, it will not allow us to click on this shortcut to find the file. Instead the user has to then remember the actual path to that folder and manually browse through the network drive. Very frustrating compared to the ease of how Windows 7 worked. I've attached a pic to show this.

File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems [​IMG]

johncassell, Feb 15, 2016
  10. I've just done some more testing and this seems to be limited to Office 2003 products. I can't 'click into' the folder shortcuts on my desktop in Outlook 2003 or Word 2003 however when I'm using IE11 it lets me. Would love an answer on this! File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems :)

johncassell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Open\Windows Explorer Shortcut Problems - Similar Threads - File OpenWindows Explorer

2. File explorer problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer problem: Why caution mark show in my C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-problem/83f20a03-abd5-484b-bc6b-8db8a9413946
  3. Problem with file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with file explorer: File explorer constantly crashes on right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-file-explorer/db230838-4547-4344-a934-7d0b4cf4ffc6
  4. File Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer problem: So lately, ive been having this problem where in file explorer, when i hover my mouse over folders or tabs , the font disappears and it becomes a blank folder or tab until i stop hovering, this is causing me trouble because i cant see basically any font or words . Anyone got...
  5. Explorer Shortcuts.

Explorer Shortcuts.: Hi I'm just curious about the explorer shortcuts. The type of shortcuts that I'm curious about are the ones with % around them, such as: %systemdrive% or %userprofile%. I have scored the internet but haven't been able to find anything about them Thanks in advance!...
  6. Explorer ShortCut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer ShortCut: Hi, this topic could confuse about my doubt. But what i want to do is create a shortcut in the navigation panel outside of quick access. What i need to add to regedit to accomplished that? I already search on the web and my first result was create a link that apears in Drive...
  7. File Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer problem: Hello when I scroll down in my file explorer it scrolls down extremely slow even though everywhere else my scrolling experience is normal. Also as you can see in the video the icons seem to glitch as I am scrolling down. Anyone know how I could fix this? submitted by...
  8. Problems with File Explore

Problems with File Explore: Since Microsoft reistalled Windows 10, I can no longer share pictures File Explore,because Messanger does not appear under sharing. I always shared from File Explorer to Messanger, because my 80 year old mother doesn't like getting pictures to her mail. She rather get them...
  9. Photos App Won't OpenWindows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App Won't OpenWindows 10: i can not open any picture & i get -2147219196 error i tried reinstall it for 2 times with shell but not anything changed. i tried troubleshoot too but not showing any things that can be fix.What should i do?...
  10. File Explorer Problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Problems: Hi, I have a problem with the windows file explorer. when I try to save images or videos from the web the file explorer box will not appear or when extracting files in parts the box will not appear also. it happens early this week if anyone could help i would be thankful....