Windows 10: File operations plagued by delayed response/lag

Discus and support File operations plagued by delayed response/lag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A few days ago, my PC started behaving a bit odd. Whenever I'd create/rename a folder, or move, rename, or delete a file, there would be a varying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GuyInDogSuit, Jul 26, 2018.

1. File operations plagued by delayed response/lag

A few days ago, my PC started behaving a bit odd. Whenever I'd create/rename a folder, or move, rename, or delete a file, there would be a varying delay. If I move a file or delete something, it does it immediately, but then it shows a progress window for a few seconds. When renaming a folder or file, it's even worse, as once I press Enter, it'd pause, and the window would become unresponsive for almost ten seconds, then the operation would suddenly complete. There's also a delay with saving files. Chrome would take a second or two to show the "Save as" window, and another second or two to start the download. It's been doing this on ALL of my disk drives, including my SSD. I've also noticed some delay in starting apps and games, opening files, going through system settings, and startup has been taking longer than usual (not BIOS/boot time, but the time from which Windows starts and I log in, to the point where my startup apps are loaded into memory, i.e. Steam and Discord).The last update that was installed by Windows was a "quality update," which was KB4345421. I am running version 1803 (build 17134.167). I have not had any crashes or BSODs so far. Just this "lag" from the past few days. I am not running any third-party security software, just Windows Defender, which is up-to-date as of this morning. I've run error scans on my drives as well as checked the optimization/deframentation, and they're all fine.

What should I do at this point? Is it time to reinstall Windows?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Jul 26, 2018
  2. peterusov Win User

Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds

I fund problem with 3rd party software installed on my PC, that includes a context menu extension. Excellent solution here: http://www.eightforums.com/performan...tml#post187343

peterusov, Jul 26, 2018
  3. Lagging File Explorer

How old is your HDD?

If it is starting to fail (e.g. developing dodgy blocks/sectors) you can experience long delays when you try to access files on it.

Regardless of its age, I would suggest that you immediately backup your:
    • Personal files
    • Driver installers
    • Program installers and keys

lehnerus2000, Jul 26, 2018
  4. Jose Est Win User

File operations plagued by delayed response/lag

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

File operations plagued by delayed response/lag

1. File operations plagued by delayed response/lag - Similar Threads - File operations plagued

2. Random Lag & Delay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Lag & Delay: Yesterday, my laptop was working fine and running with quick speed, until I slapped my desk. When I hit my desk, my laptop's screen cut to black. I checked the cables and nothing was unplugged, I then decided to try power my laptop up, and it worked, but there was a problem....
  3. Delayed keyboard and mouse response

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Delayed keyboard and mouse response: I have an Acer Aspire V5 that was donated to me from a friend, The laptop came with Windows 8, but has been updated to windows 10. Since it has been in my possession it has had a 3-4sometimes up to 10 second delay when using keyboard or mouse. I have used troubleshoot for...
  4. Desktop seems to have response delays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop seems to have response delays: Hello r/windows, I am having two issues that I feel might be connected. Back in December my windows installation crashed out of the blue, and with the help of a friend I managed to navigate the intricacies of the installation process to reinstall a fresh copy of windows....
  5. cursor delay lag

in Windows 10 Customization
    cursor delay lag: while using a brush on any software i notice a delay between the mouse and a brush, the mouse creates a distance when i start moving and the brush falls behind but come back to wheres the cursor when i stop moving example pic& gif it happens on any software...
  6. Delays on keyboard response

Delays on keyboard response: I'm using AMD8 with win 10 pro and the problem is that when I press a certain letter it will not continue to populate, meaning it will stop in a certain time and it does not continue even if I use the arrow key to go back to a certain word it stops which is unusual. I have...
  7. Mouse and Keyboard response / lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse and Keyboard response / lag: So i've been struggling with this problem for around 1 week+. It all started one day when i started my csgo and from the begining i feel like my mouse response is not so good, like i am aiming, but the mouse could not respond so well to me like it should be. Also the keyboard...
  8. Mouse and Keyboard response / lag

Mouse and Keyboard response / lag: So i've been struggling with this problem for around 1 week+. It all started one day when i started my csgo and from the begining i feel like my mouse response is not so good, like i am aiming, but the mouse could not respond so well to me like it should be. Also the keyboard...
  9. Delays in responses

in Browsers and Email
    Delays in responses: Hi all, I was using Win 7 x64 and for modernity's sake migrated to Win 10 x64. Because of my location, Iran, I must use a VPN in order to connect with the majority of websites. It was good on Win 7 but now although I use the same VPN and my bandwidth is even higher, when...
  10. pc response time major delays

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pc response time major delays: i dont know if its from malware or something else, but when i click to open a browser or any other window, it take a while to respond. and few minutes ago, i try click on an app on taskbar and it just hangs there. i had to restart. and for several seconds, the log in page...