Windows 10: File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

Discus and support File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had to have a new computer. This involved of course a new C drive. I also transferred files from data partition on the original disk. The owner... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RonNilsson, Aug 2, 2018.

1. File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

I had to have a new computer. This involved of course a new C drive. I also transferred files from data partition on the original disk.

The owner name everywhere shows a number string such as S-1-5-21-168 etc even on the C partition rather than computername/username

I also have transferred files with 1-abc synchroniser which has file owner name "everyone"

I have searched for options to change this and dabbled with file owner changes in security and gave up

:)

RonNilsson, Aug 2, 2018

2. File History

I just set up File History to use a new external hard drive.

Unfortunately it set up five copies of my computer in the FileHistory folder.

• FileHistory/username/computername
    • FileHistory/username/computername (2)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (3)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (4)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (5)

On top of this problem, File History has not backed up any Data at all. It has only created some files in the folder FileHistory/username/computername (5)/Configuration.

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Mike1234DR, Aug 2, 2018
  3. xBruce88x Win User
    file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Tryx3 Win User

File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

MS Info Username

I do not know where you are looking but in several places Windows displays usernames as ComputerName\UserName

Your ComputerName is BobcatGames so, if your UserName is Gaming PC, your UserName might well be displayed in some places as
    BobcatGames\Gaming PC.

You can check your UserName in any Command prompt or Windows PowerShell window by entering the command net user.

This will show a list of all user accounts [both the one you created & the ones that the system created during installation].

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

1. File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username - Similar Threads - File ownership computer

2. Files with random strings of letters and numbers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with random strings of letters and numbers.: I don't know what Data Base Files do, but I just want confirmation on whether or not these files are safe. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-with-random-strings-of-letters-and-numbers/3f456c01-dfa6-4e67-bddf-6e3fd21df0ca
  3. files older than my computer

files older than my computer: so I was absently searching through my files, just really looking out of boredom, when I found "Install.exe", made by Microsoft Corporation. this isn't too weird by itself, if it weren't for the fact that the file predates both my computer and windows 10 the file is from...
  4. files older than my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    files older than my computer: so I was absently searching through my files, just really looking out of boredom, when I found "Install.exe", made by Microsoft Corporation. this isn't too weird by itself, if it weren't for the fact that the file predates both my computer and windows 10 the file is from...
  5. files older than my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 shows my windows account name, rather than my username in file manager - how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 shows my windows account name, rather than my username in file manager - how to...: For some reason windows has decided to substitute my name for the folder name in file manager with my microsoft associated account's home folder. It doesn't always do this, but it does it often enough that it is a problem - this is a substantial security concern considering...
  7. Windows 10 shows my windows account name, rather than my username in file manager - how to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 shows my windows account name, rather than my username in file manager - how to...: For some reason windows has decided to substitute my name for the folder name in file manager with my microsoft associated account's home folder. It doesn't always do this, but it does it often enough that it is a problem - this is a substantial security concern considering...
  8. Windows 10 shows my windows account name, rather than my username in file manager - how to...

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username: Hi all On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network. We used to be able to connect to this network share with username@computername instead of computername\username (e.g. shareuser@pc20 instead...
  10. "share with" file option has a strange string of numbers and letters

"share with" file option has a strange string of numbers and letters: When I click on a folder to share it, it gives me the usual homegroup options. However, there is another option now and I don't know what it is. It's a string of 20 numbers and letters. See the attached picture for reference. Thanks 28605