Windows 10: File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required?

Discus and support File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there so I am trying to enable file sharing from my PC with my home network and I would prefer to have protected file sharing enabled so if you want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Radical924, Nov 30, 2016.

1. File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required?

Hi there so I am trying to enable file sharing from my PC with my home network and I would prefer to have protected file sharing enabled so if you want to access the files on my computer you are prompted to login with a username and password. The issue I am having is this prompt never is presented because I have the same username and password on both PC's. Is there anyway to change it so it still has the prompt or am I requred then to have different passwords on both PC's if I don't want this to happen?

:)

Radical924, Nov 30, 2016

2. Windows Security pw

Hi Bryan,

What particular changes were made prior to the issue? One possible reason why you are being prompted to enter network credentials is that the password protected sharing feature is enabled. Password protected sharing is a networking based feature in Windows
    10, with which you can allow or block other users on your system to access shared files, printers and public folders provided that they sign in to a password-protected local user account on the computer. Follow these steps to disable the password protected
    sharing feature in Windows 10:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Control Panel.
    • Search for Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click on the Change advanced sharing settings link.
    • Click the down arrow right next to All Networks to expand the settings.
    • Select Turn off password protected sharing and click on Save changes.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Network Sharing

Is File & Printer Sharing enabled?

Have you followed all the steps in the following article?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/connect-netowr...

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Andre Da Costa, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required?

By default windows passes the username and password your logged in with if that is correct it wont prompt so someone would have to be logged in with that username etc to access the file. changing user or password would prompt it

Samuria, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Ahh ok makes sense that's what I thought. As long as other users don't have access without logging in with a username it is all good then. Thanks for the reply!

Radical924, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required?

1. File protected sharing enabled but no password prompt is required? - Similar Threads - File protected sharing

2. Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on: Hi allIm trying to share network files on my server with different rights to different users.This requires, if i understand it correctly that password protected sharing is on.But the problem is that when i turn it on i cant access the shared folder even if i enter the correct...
  3. Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on: Hi allIm trying to share network files on my server with different rights to different users.This requires, if i understand it correctly that password protected sharing is on.But the problem is that when i turn it on i cant access the shared folder even if i enter the correct...
  4. Updates Revert "Password Protected Sharing" to ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Updates Revert "Password Protected Sharing" to ON: I have 3 computers that access a shared drive called "Shared". They're on a LAN. Every Windows update reverts this change. I need a way to keep it persistant by not having to turn Password Protected Sharing back OFF after every update. Any ideas? Maybe using regedit? I...
  5. Folder share requires password to Outlook.com

Folder share requires password to Outlook.com: I am working on a 4-PC network. All are running Win 10 Build 1909. PC-1, PC-2, and PC-3 have no problem accessing all shared folders/files on the network. PC-4 has a problem accessing any files on PC-1, but full access to PC-2 and PC-3. The problem is that when PC-4 attempts...
  6. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  7. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  8. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  9. password protected sharing

password protected sharing: I can't turn it off. I know how it's supposed to work. I turn it off, click "save changes" but it doesn't turn off. I can't use the local users and groups snap in with my version of windows 10. I have tried the registry edit method mentioned elsewhere. That did not work....
  10. Network share ignores password protected sharing

Network share ignores password protected sharing: I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup...