Windows 10: File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10

Discus and support File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 has a cache issue when saving/reopening files which I can repeat and would appreciate some advice/ideas *Smile Note: I have come here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by V12RR, Aug 3, 2016.

1. V12RR Win User

File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10

Windows 10 has a cache issue when saving/reopening files which I can repeat and would appreciate some advice/ideas *Smile

Note: I have come here after weeks of problems and series of tests. I have ruled out antivirus, drivers, hardware and a host of other issues raised my Microsoft and can repeat this problem with out fail.

I have had two identical computers (A and B) built for me by a reputable store. Both run Windows 10 with a genuine COA on each system. I use one system at home and one at work. I have a portable drive that contains my data that is shared/used by both systems. I have bought seven drives to date out of shear frustration thinking it was hardware - 2Tb, 3Tb, and 4Tb from Seagate, Toshiba and WD - they all do this:

Note: file type *.xyz is just an example and not a real file type and only to assist this discussion (I have tried many file types as well)

• Computer A > Save a file at 4PM onto a portable drive (for example abc.xyz) - time stamp 4PM
    • Computer B > at 6PM commence working on the file and save at 10PM (abc.xyz) - time stamp 10PM
    • Computer A > at 8AM (next day) go to the portable drive to discover the file (abc.xyz) is time stamped back at 4PM?
    Now if I try to the run the file Windows starts giving errors about the file being corrupt or inaccessible.

File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10 [​IMG]

Computer B > if you take the portable drive back to Computer A the file is time stamped 10PM and opens and saves as per normal i.e. Computer A will no longer run the file, yet Computer B does from the same portable drive and location.

This problem also appears affects folders if some work is done on these - and seems to be why an entire portable drive becomes inaccessible even though it works fine on the other computer.

One final note: I can recover the so-called corrupt inaccessible files on Computer A using any recovery utility such as Recuva or similar. And yes, this whole process works vice-versa - files saved at home do the same in reverse!

So, it appears there is a caching issue in Windows 10 with portable drives.

Does anyone know how to overcome this situation?

:)

V12RR, Aug 3, 2016

2. Files saved at work cannot be seen at home and vice versa! copied to the portable HDD.

I have since tried this, reformatted several new portable drives, reinstalled Windows 10 and carried out scan discs and memory checks. Spent hours on this Windows 10 issue.

Problem persists.

There seems to be some caching/security problem with Windows 10 when installed on identical computer builds sharing a portable drive(s).

The key point is that I open a program and save files to the same portable drive (tested 7 drives to date).

When I arrive home (or work) I get this message when trying to open a file from the portable drive:

Yet when I take the portable drive to the original computer the files were saved from, the files are all available without any issue (they open) and there is no error message.

So in summary.

Computer A and B are the same specifications and run as expected and have been thoroughly tested.

Both have a legitimate Windows 10 install with unique COA.

Both share a portable disk drive set to S:\

I have tried three brands: Toshiba, Seagate and Western Digital in various sizes.

These results always occur:

Some (not all) files saved with computer A onto the portable drive will not open (or be accessible) on computer B. However, the problem files will open on computer B (the following day) from the portable drive without any issue.

Note: any regular recovery utility will find and restore all the files (e.g. in the folder shown in the screenshot above) to any other folder on the computer. So even though Windows 10 says the folder is corrupted all the files are still there and can be
    accessed by a recovery utility and of course on the computer they were saved from.

Is there some test utility that can look at this situation and work out what the Windows 10 issue may be?

Thank you

FutureCorporation, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Files saved at work cannot be seen at home and vice versa! copied to the portable HDD.

Original Title: Missing File (repeatable)

Issue:

Missing File (repeatable)

The Situation:

I have purchased two identical computers with the same OS (Win 10 Pro 64bit) and installed all the same applications and antivirus etc. One is for home and one is for work.

I use a portable HDD to save my work onto (data). Mainly graphics design and saved in *.vDoc along with Office 2016 files such as *.docx etc.

The portable drive has been set to Quick removal i.e. no write caching

• When I get home and view the portable drive's contents the file I have saved from the day’s work has vanished?

• All the older files and complete folder structure are still there (copied to the portable HDD in the past but never opened or worked on).

When I return to work the next morning the original file is still nowhere to be found, but after around 30 minutes the original file I was working on the day before suddenly reappears.

The same thing happens at home as well. The files I save at home cannot be seen at work. However, if I wait for around 30 minutes they reappear.

So effectively the files saved at work cannot be seen at home and vice versa! nor can they be seen until I wait for around 30 minutes!

This has occurred on 3 sets of portable HDDs now. I have tried Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital portable drives in 1Tb, 2Tb and 4Tb configurations… Happens every time and I have lost days on this situation.

I have also reinstalled Windows 10 on both systems.

Perhaps Windows caches the portable drive and when you boot up on an identical system (office and home) and it gets confused and hides the files?

Does anyone know how to overcome this issue?

FutureCorporation, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10

1. File Save, Reopen and Cache Issues - Portable Drives Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Save Reopen

2. usb portable diskette drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb portable diskette drive: I would like to know why I am not able to load the driver for the usb portable diskette drive. I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-portable-diskette-drive/3b187512-2e68-4bf3-82c3-3923fe7aa6bc"
  3. Browser Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    Browser Cache files: Hello,Before shutting down the computer, I run "CCleaner" to remove all 'coockies' and browser cache files.My default browser is 'Chrome', but most cache files are from 'Edge'.My question: When I start the computer (day after cleaning), internet is still not connected,...
  4. Saving excel files on network drive issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving excel files on network drive issue: After upgrading win7 to win10 , we are unable to save the excel files on the network drive, although we can save locally or save as on the network drive without any issue. we are using office 2010 Thanks in advance Ayman...
  5. Browser Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Cache files: Hello,My default browser is Google Chrome, and as a spare one I installed Firefox. I do not use built-in Edge or old internet browser, and I am the only user of my computer.Before making a long break, I open Ccleaner to make some cleaning and I find lot of cache files from...
  6. Browser Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    Browser Cache files: Hello,My default browser is Google Chrome, and as a spare one I installed Firefox. I do not use built-in Edge or old internet browser, and I am the only user of my computer.Before making a long break, I open Ccleaner to make some cleaning and I find lot of cache files from...
  7. "Edge" Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  8. "Edge" Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  9. windows 10 install on portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 install on portable hard drive: Is there a way that I could download a version of windows 10 and install it on my portable hard drive as a trial or test before I buy the OS and find out my PC cannot run it or something weird like that happens? i know that you can put the real version on a portable HDD, but...
  10. windows 10 store cache issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 store cache issue: hey.I ran the windows store troubleshooter and It told me that windows store cache may be corrupted error and service registration.How can I fix it??? 93702