Windows 10: File System Filter 'wcifs' EVENT ID 4

Discus and support File System Filter 'wcifs' EVENT ID 4 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, When I run the error checking tool in windows for my SSD I always end up with this error in event viewer. Error checking found no problems and even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Edward, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Edward Win User

File System Filter 'wcifs' EVENT ID 4

Hi, When I run the error checking tool in windows for my SSD I always end up with this error in event viewer. Error checking found no problems and even system file checker didn't found any problems. I think it started after I installed Malwarebytes and MY PC ended up with a BSOD but now I removed malwarebytes and still receiving this error.

:)

Edward, Feb 17, 2017

2. After 2+ days of troubleshooting, was finally able to successfully upgrade to Windows 10 Creator Version 1709

Hi, I am also not able to update Windows with the latest Fall Creators Update and my system freezes also at 75%.

I already dit a complete reinstall of my system and even when restarting from a clean windows system (v1607), I get the same thing.

I also have a Ralink WLAN network card. So I definitily going to try your solution.

However, I wanted to know if you can find anything in the logbooks that would explain this behaviour.

I looked into mine and I find this warning, just before the service control manager fails and the whole system freezes:

"File System Filter 'wcifs' (Version 10.0, ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎15T17:42:03.000000000Z) failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1'. The filter returned a non-standard final status of 0xC000000D. This filter and/or its supporting
    applications should handle this condition. If this condition persists, contact the vendor
    ."

Do you also have this warning?

Have you tried anything like this: How to fix File System Filter WCIFS failed with Event ID 4 (Windows 10) - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

Thx!

Peter.

Phyriphiry2, Feb 17, 2017
  3. loevenix_ Win User
    FilterManager Errors During Installation of Cumulative Updates

Thanks for the reply, Phillipe. It may be that the update simply stopped the wcifs filter, which then prevents any further warnings to be sent to the windows log. You can check the status by opening an Admin Command Prompt and typing "sc query wcifs"
    When I stop the wcifs filter ("sc stop wcifs") and set the startup to "disabled" ("sc config wcifs start= disabled") I no longer get the warnings in the windows log but, like you, I continue to get the System Volume Information folder filling with files generated
    while Carbonite is active. If I pause Carbonite both the warnings cease and the files in the System Volume Information are no longer generated. So I don't know whether it is a problem with Windows or with Carbonite or with both. I am up to date with the
    updates for Windows 10 and still have the problem with both the warnings in the windows logs and with the files being generated in the System Volume Information folder if Carbonite is active. But, as I said, I can at least get rid of the warnings by stopping
    the wcifs filter using the command line given above, but that does not solve the main problem of the System Volume Information folder filling up with files.

loevenix_, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Edward Win User

I think it's a windows 10 bug because even on my laptop I am seeing this error after i run the error checking tool

Edward, Feb 17, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    fdegrove, Feb 17, 2017
  6. Edward Win User
    Hi thanks for the reply *Smile it's showing this error on my PC and on my Laptop when I put the commands on CMD

Attach failed with error: 0x801f0013The system could not find the filter specified.

Edward, Feb 17, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sorry to see it did not help.

Could you download and run this program by one of our members and run the steps necessary as described in the readme.txt file ?

Downloads - Image Health - ToolsLib

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 18, 2017
  8. Juans Win User

Hi, I have the same warning in the event viewer. It started like you a few days ago, but after updating bios (not installing and using malware bytes. This error seems to appear every time the system accesses to Volume shadow copy (automatic restore points creation, defrag, ecc...). I'm investigating why this happened, but I can't understand well.
    I have a laptop Dell Ispiron 5559. What pc do you have?

Juans, Feb 21, 2017
  9. Conm3 Win User
    Hi,

I think Edward may be correct that it is a bug/glitch with windows and not hardware/software.
    This happened to 5 days ago and I've tried everything including what Edward and fdegrove suggest and no joy.
    Been getting Id 2 and 3 as well as 4 though not at same time though not on same install. I have done a fresh reinstall at least 4 times and checked to see if a program was doing it by restart and check. Only got Id 3 once but 2 and 4 always appear shortly after reinstall. I found that it only happens when I try to create a restore point or system image.
    Unfortunately this does prevent system restore from working although creating a restore point seems to work but then flags up this issue.
    Of course I tried everything before reinstall and each time it happened after careful checking if it was software I was installing but came back when regardless of that software not being installed to a point I now belive it isn't related to that.
    I installed windows on a different ssd and same issue so final test I did last night was secure erase on ssd's, reset bios/ cleared cmos and reinstalled again and came back when did image so tried restore and Id 2 came back also.
    For the fact nothing had been changed and it just appeared on Sunday and reinstall didn't fix, as well as others online having same past week, i do think it's a bug that I hope Microsoft fix in next update.
    I am one those that checks event view each time I boot up and never had before and restore worked a month ago when used but not now.
    Unless it's a motherboard fault which I doubt because restore works to begin with and others in this time frame with similar issues. At least it's just a warning but not being able to system restore if I wanted sucks.
    Sorry for the wall of text, had this for 5 days and finally think it's on Microsoft's end, just wanted to share

Conm3, Feb 22, 2017
  10. Edward Win User
    Thanks fdegrove for your help, Ill try that later *Smile

Edward, Feb 22, 2017
  11. Edward Win User
    Check out on my system specs *Smile I tried on my gaming PC and on my Acer laptop and my dad's Asus laptop and all had that error in the event viewer after i did the error checking so it's more likely its a Windows 10 bug *Smile

Edward, Feb 22, 2017
  12. Edward Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I tried it on my PC and 2 other laptops and all had that error after I used error checking tool so it's more likely to be a Windows 10 bug *Smile

Edward, Feb 22, 2017
  13. Conm3 Win User

Agreed, hope they sort soon.

Conm3, Feb 22, 2017
  14. OJI
    Oji Win User
    Right, started getting this error few days ago too, and today i needed system restore and it fails due to this apparently *Sad

15. Juans Win User
    Well, it's a windows bug and not my pc issue *Biggrin
    So, now it's not possible to restore the system from a system restore point?

Juans, Feb 22, 2017
Thema:

1. File System Filter 'wcifs' EVENT ID 4 - Similar Threads - File System Filter

2. BSOD System Event ID 1001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD System Event ID 1001: I've been having bluescreens that are happening very often on a server that seem to be driver related, but I'm having trouble navigating the error codes.These are the most recent events:Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting EventID: 1001 Time: 1/31/2023 6:13:28...
  3. Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005: Hello,It's a couple of months I have this problem I think it startet around half of may after a windows update.It's not very frequent but it all starte while playing Escape from Tarkov.Basically my pc froze and I had to force restart by pressing the power button.After I...
  4. Event ID 10016 How can I filter these messages out of event viewer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Event ID 10016 How can I filter these messages out of event viewer?: Ok I have added nearly every damn account on the system to the perappruntimebroker but this dcom is ****ing broken it still reports the same damn error. The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with...
  5. Filter in the event viewer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Filter in the event viewer.: Hi, is it possible to create a filter by manually editing the XML query in the event viewer and have the entered query remain stored in the log even if I close the event viewer? Thanks 170228
  6. System Rebooting - Event ID 41 & Event ID 161

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Rebooting - Event ID 41 & Event ID 161: Hello, My system has started rebooting without BSOD randomly, but usually when playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider or other programs that have the PC under load. Today, it did it when trying to open a system information viewer program when nothing else was running. The CPU...
  7. System restore Event ID?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore Event ID?: Does anyone know how I can check whether or not the machine was able to successfully do a system restore through the event viewer? If so, can you provide the event ID’s for system restore and if I need to check either the windows or application logs to get the latest time...
  8. System restore Event ID?

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore Event ID?: Does anyone know how I can check whether or not the machine was able to successfully do a system restore through the event viewer? If so, can you provide the event ID’s for system restore and if I need to check either the windows or application logs to get the latest time...
  9. Event ID 10016 causing system crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event ID 10016 causing system crash: I have reinstalled Window 10 many times, and change security permission. My desktop: - CPU Core i7 6700 - Mainboard Asus Z170-K - Ram 16GB - Graphic Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 - SSD 240GB WD Here some pictures [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Thanks...
  10. Warning about File System Filter 'wcifs' - what is THAT ????

in Windows 10 Support
    Warning about File System Filter 'wcifs' - what is THAT ????: Have yet another new Warning on startups of Win 10 Pro 64-bit. When will these stop? This one is:File System Filter 'wcifs' (Version 10.0, ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎15T11:42:03.000000000Z) failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10'. The filter returned a non-standard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device\symantecsnapshot\volume0

2. File System Filter wcifs (Version 10.0 ‎2024‎-‎12‎-‎16T20:40:30.000000000Z) failed to attach to volume \Device\SymantecSnapshot\Volume0